IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New To Rigging (And Shadowrun), Can you give me some help and check out my character build?
Juggy#3
post Feb 20 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,695

I've played a lot of pen & paper RPG's over the years, and a while back my GM decided to run a Shadowrun campaign (he's done it plenty before with other players). My first character in my first campaign was a pretty normal tank-type character--troll metavariant (giant) with cyberware geared towards strength and body.

Now that game ended, and he's starting up a new game, much more advanced--a pirate-based Shadowrun game on the high seas. I was a little bored with the basic "Fighter" type character I'd had, and the submarine/ship we're going to be using (provided by the GM as a background thing--one of the characters inherited it from his dead father prior to the game starting) is adapted for rigging, so I decided to make a rigger. I had some help with it, and I think that, overall, it came out pretty good, but I'd like some more experienced people to take a look at it and tell me if there's anything I should change or improve.

Keep in mind that, because of what the GM felt was an interesting background/choice of flaws (I took amnesia, flashbacks, mysterious cyberware, dark secret, and hunted) he allowed me to take at character generation several things that are usually not allowed at chargen (such as beta- and deltaware).

If anybody is willing to check it out for me, I'll post my whole character sheet right in this thread (I had to write it out on a file on my PC because he didn't get the character sheet's to me fast enough).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Feb 20 2008, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

why wait for somebody to say yes? hehehe. Just jam it down our throats! You might want to edit your first post and click SR3 for the post icon.

+Quote Post
Juggy#3
post Feb 20 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #3

Target

QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 20 2008, 02:16 AM) *
why wait for somebody to say yes? hehehe. Just jam it down our throats! You might want to edit your first post and click SR3 for the post icon.

Because I am kind and polite...unlike the majority of characters I play. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And here's the character sheet (the gun is not in the sourcebooks; rather I custom designed it using the rules in Canon Companion; my drones are also custom, but since their separate from the character they aren't here; "The Touch" is an edge the GM created for me because he felt bad that I hadn't taken any edges):

Name: John
Player: Juggy
Sex: Male
Height: 1 meter
Weight: 50 kg
Notes: Dwarf

Edges/Flaws:
Amnesia
Flashbacks
Mysterious Cyberware
Hunted
Dark Secret
The Touch

Attributes:
B: 4
Q: 6
S: 5
I: 6
C: 3
W: 7
R: 6(10)
Init: 1d6+6(3d6+10)
Combat Pool: 10
Control Pool: 10Notes:

Active Skills: Rank:

Submarine 5
--Remote Operations 7

Ship 4
--Remote Operations 6

Pistols 5
--Colt Turbostar S2 7

Electronics Build/Repair 5
--Cybertechnology 7

Computer 5
--Programing 7

Rotorcraft Build/Repair 5
--Tycho Reaver 880x 7
Gunnery 5
--Sensor Assisted Gunnery 7
Rotor craft 5
--Remote Operations 7
Electronics 5
--Linking Between Devices 7
Small Unit Tactics 5
--Vehicle Tactics 7

Language Skills:
French 6
--R/W 3

English 6
--R/W 3

Spanish 6
--R/W 3

Knowledge Skills:
Engineering 5
--Submarine Design 7
Caribbean Sea 5
--Major Trade Routes 7
Greek Mythology 3

Cyberware:
BattleTac IVIS
BattleTac Cyberlink ª
CRCD Rating 5ª
Transducer
ECCM(4)ª
RC Encryption Module(4)
Router(5)β
Datajackβ
VCR (Level 2)δ
Headware Memory (300mp)ª
OXSYS Cybergillª
Cybereyesª
--Image Linkª
--Display Linkª
Obvious Cyber Forearmδ
--Signal Amplifier(4)δ
Smartlink-2 ballistic proc.
Induction Datajackβ

Essence Left: 0.14

Gear (Armor):
Rapid Transit
--Heavy Jumpsuit
--Plastic restraint melter
--Massaging Liners
--GPS

Actioneer Line
--Long Coat

Light Military Armor
--Heads-Up Display
--Smartlink-2

Gear (Weapons):

Colt Turbostar S2--�Lethe�
--SA/BF
Damage Code: 10M
Conceal: 7 (9) [13]
Weight: 2.10
Ammo: 15©
Ceramic Components(3)
Smartlink-2
--Personal Safety System
Removed Trigger
Personalized Grip
Weighted Barrel

Gear (Weapons):
Gyrojet Pistol
DC: 12M
Conceal: 5
--SA
Weight: 2
Ammo: 10©
Designed to fire underwater. Heavy Pistol ranges underwater,
Shotgun ranges on land.

3 spare clips—Hi-C Plastic Caseless ammo
2 spare clips—GyroJet ammo

Gear (Miscellaneous)
Personal Computer(250 mp)
Clearsight autosoft (R4)x3
Limited Sharpshooter autosoft(Cannot target RFID tags that I own) (R4)
Clustered Dataosft Rating 2--common ships and drones
--20 common ships and drones
Three Rotorcraft Pilot activesofts rating 6, Pluscoded 2
--Two of them specialized in Dogfighting
Advanced Helicopter Maneuvers Rating 6, Pluscoded 2
Goggles
--Ultrasound Vision
--Thermographic Vision
--Low-Light Vision
50 RFID tags
Repair Kit(Everything)
Quickdraw Concealable Holster

Contacts:

Jambalaya Jaxim(Rating 2)
--Proprietor of “Coughin Nales� a seedy cigar
shop in the Port of New Orleans with a selection
of shitty upstairs apartments for rent.

+Quote Post
Juggy#3
post Feb 20 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #4

Target

You know what, I've decided to post the drones, too, just so everybody can take a look at my GM's drone-building skills.

According to my background, these drones were specialty built by the Draco foundation, prior to my volunteering for a mission, for which they wiped my memory and personality, then rewrote it with a delta-grade chipjack built into my lower brain stem. They also filled my body with some very good cyberware--mostly rigging equipment. They also provided the gun that is my character sheet above.

Regardles, I did have to spend about 300G at chargen for the drones and the cyberware (except for the chipjack in my brainstem, which is my "mysterious cyberware" flaw and about which my character knows nothing)

I woke up in a shitty apartment above a cigar shop in the Port of New Orleans, with no memory at all, that gun in my hand, and my brain directly connected to these drones.

Styx
Tycho reaver 880x

Medium UAV Rotor Craft

Body: 2
CF: 0
Load: 80kg
Handling: 3
Speed: 120
Accl: 10
Armor: 3
Signature: 9
Fuel: 170l
Economy: .25km/1
Pilot: 4
Sensor: 3
Design points: 9157
Markup: 1.25
Other:

VTOL L/T profile, Rigger adaptation, Remote control interface, Radar absorbing material rtg 3 (factored in), BattleTack Ivis reciever, Mini remote turret, 2Cf ammo bin, 3 points of recoil compensation. Penalty of +1 to handling when recoil compensation is active.

Turret: Vindicator minigun, 2Cf ammo bin (3,000 Rounds AV Ammo)

Coctys
Tycho reaver 880x

Medium UAV Rotor Craft

CF: 0
Load: 60kg
Sensor: 7

Other:

VTOL L/T profile, Rigger adaptation, Remote control interface, Radar absorbing material rtg 3 (factored in), BattleTack Ivis reciever, Mini remote turret, 400mp internal memory, Autosoft interpretation system, 4 slots, 400 mp, pulse rating 8, retransmission unit flux rating 2,

turret: laser target designator/high resolution camera (Optional pistol mount switches out with camera, treat as Ares Predator). Camera is trid/vid/audio/still.

Archeron
Tycho reaver 880x

Medium UAV Rotor Craft

CF: 5
Load: 77kg
Sensor: 4

Other:

VTOL L/T profile, Rigger adaptation, Remote control interface, Radar absorbing material rtg 3 (factored in), BattleTack Ivis reciever, Mini remote turret, Auto soft interpretation system, 4 slots, 400mp, Pulse rating 8,

Turret: sniper rifle, laser rifle

Sniper
ammo: 10c
damage: 14S
3 clips

Laser
Ammo: 30 (recharge 2/hour)
Damage: 14M

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 20 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Some thoughts:

It'd be handy to know what The Touch does.

I recommend EAP: Intelligence, Connected, and Vehicle Empathy if The Touch isn't somehow awesome enough to make up for not having these edges.

Drop the specializations on just about everything, IMO. It only gives you one extra point to play with, and limits you pretty significantly. Specialization gives you a much better deal post-chargen, at least if you're certain you never want to raise the base skill ever again.

If you can find the cash and/or Essence, the VCR-3 is worth its weight in gold (others, such as Fortune, will spread lies and treachery on this topic. Do not listen!).

Your second rotorcraft claims to have a "high-resolution camera". Unless it needs to be higher-resolution than being able to be blown up to 140x without noticeable quality loss (keeping in mind that you get up to 350x zoom for the initial recording), that's redundant with the drone's sensor suite.

Your third rotorcraft initiates Sniper Drone Wars. Be advised that using this drone, while it makes complete sense from in-game logic, may open the door to many of your battles being conducted at multiple-kilometer ranges with characters resisting high-Power, high-Damage attacks at the wrong end of surprise tests (when they can't use pool to dodge or soak).

That's my initial take.

~J

+Quote Post
Juggy#3
post Feb 20 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #6

Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 20 2008, 04:20 AM) *
Some thoughts:

It'd be handy to know what The Touch does.

I recommend EAP: Intelligence, Connected, and Vehicle Empathy if The Touch isn't somehow awesome enough to make up for not having these edges.

The Touch works like this: Any time I pick up an item that isn't functional, the GM makes a secret roll at half my B/R skill with a target number of 6. A success means the item mysteriously starts working; the number of successes decides how long it works for.

Drop the specializations on just about everything, IMO. It only gives you one extra point to play with, and limits you pretty significantly. Specialization gives you a much better deal post-chargen, at least if you're certain you never want to raise the base skill ever again.

That's a good idea. I'll have to look it over and decide which specializations I'll keep.

If you can find the cash and/or Essence, the VCR-3 is worth its weight in gold (others, such as Fortune, will spread lies and treachery on this topic. Do not listen!).

Yeah, I wanted a VCR 3, but I gave up .5 essence to the "mysterious cyberware" flaw at the begining and it kind of limited me.

Your second rotorcraft claims to have a "high-resolution camera". Unless it needs to be higher-resolution than being able to be blown up to 140x without noticeable quality loss (keeping in mind that you get up to 350x zoom for the initial recording), that's redundant with the drone's sensor suite.

I'll have to talk to the GM about that.

Your third rotorcraft initiates Sniper Drone Wars. Be advised that using this drone, while it makes complete sense from in-game logic, may open the door to many of your battles being conducted at multiple-kilometer ranges with characters resisting high-Power, high-Damage attacks at the wrong end of surprise tests (when they can't use pool to dodge or soak).

o.O

I hadn't even thought of that. This will require serious deliberation.

That's my initial take.

And I thank you for your imput. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 20 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Since you already have a partial cyberlimb, see about putting the stuff you took as headware inside the limb. Headware is costly in essence and nuyen compared to the versions you can get and stick in a cyberlimb. It might be worthwhile to replace the full limb. Since you want space, a leg holds more than an arm, too.

BattleTac IVIS:
Cranial: .15 ess, 200K
Cyberlimb: .5 ecu, 75K

BattleTac Cyberlink ª :
Cranial: .15 ess, 200K (std grade)
Cyberlimb: .25 ecu, 125K

CRCD Rating 5ª :
Cranial: .3 ess, 125K (std grade)
Cyberlimb: 5 ecu, 25K

ECCM(4)ª
Cranial: .3 ess, 140K (std grade)
Cyberlimb: .5 ecu, 60K

RC Encryption Module(4)
Cranial: .2 ess, 40K
Cyberlimb: .25 ecu, 20K

Headware Memory (300mp)ª
Headware Memory has to be the biggest ripoff in the game!
Cranial: 1 ess, 45K (std grade)
Cyberlimb: Pocket Computer w/300mp (no real limit to memory): 3 ecu, 1.5K

For armor, I would see about getting the Dive Armor, too.

You might get by with less routers, too, because I would not require attachments to the RCD (Battletach IVIS, Battletach Master control, ECCM, RCEM) to need seperate routers; they would operate through/off the deck.

+Quote Post
Juggy#3
post Feb 21 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #8

Target

Now that is a good idea. With the money I save from the lessened cost of the items, I might even be able to get a VCR 3, a few spider drones, or buy some items for the ships crewmen.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.