IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Counts Towards the 1.5?, n00b question about modified skill limit.
KurenaiYami
post Feb 20 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,668

Well, the title pretty much says it. What counts towards that max 1.5 limit? Does anything let you go over it?

Specialization especially has me confused in this regard. If my natural skill max is 6 and I already have 9, will specialization mean nothing? Or does it add 2 more to my already maxed skill?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Feb 20 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

An increase to the skill counts against the limit, an increase to the dice pool does not. Most importantly Specializations are a dice pool modification, as are Smart Links, Med Kits, and Synthacardiums.

-Frank

+Quote Post
KurenaiYami
post Feb 20 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Feb 20 2008, 01:58 AM) *
An increase to the skill counts against the limit, an increase to the dice pool does not. Most importantly Specializations are a dice pool modification, as are Smart Links, Med Kits, and Synthacardiums.

-Frank

Is there anything in the BBB that adds to the skill itself, not just the dice pool?

+Quote Post
Ustio
post Feb 20 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 13,827

Reflex recorders and the adept power

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Feb 20 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #5

Prime Runner

QUOTE (KurenaiYami @ Feb 20 2008, 06:05 AM) *
Is there anything in the BBB that adds to the skill itself, not just the dice pool?

Reflex Recorders (p. 339) and Improved Ability (p. 187).

-Frank

+Quote Post
Elve
post Feb 20 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,071

RefelexRecorders and Adept Powers I think

+Quote Post
KurenaiYami
post Feb 20 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Well. That answers my questions quite thoroughly.

Thank you very much!

+Quote Post
samuelbeckett
post Feb 20 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,664

Are you certain on Reflex Recorders and the Improved Ability power?

Reflex Recorder refers to the bonus as a 'dice pool bonus' which is the same wording used in the Mnemonic Enhancer on the same page - so surely either both are skill modifiers, or both are dice pool modifiers.

Similarly, Improved Ability is limited to a number of additional dice equal to the base skill rating - unless that is errata, surely that sentence is redundant if the extra dice are already limited to the skill cap?

For example, if your base skill is 4, the skill cap is 6, but I can have 4 extra dice from Improved Ability which makes no sense.

Again I haven't seen the errata recently, so if this was addressed already then feel free to let me know.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Feb 20 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner

QUOTE (P. 340)
The reflex recorder adds 1 to the rating of a specific skill or skill group

QUOTE (P.187)
This power increases the rating of a specific Active skill by 1 per level

The key distinction is "rating" vs. "dice pool."

-Frank

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 20 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #10

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The 1.5 cap is errata. The reflex recorder gives (by errata) a bonus to skill.

+Quote Post
samuelbeckett
post Feb 20 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Feb 20 2008, 11:07 AM) *
The key distinction is "rating" vs. "dice pool."

-Frank

OK, understand that, but why would anyone buy more than 3 levels of Improved Ability, given the most the difference between base rating and modified rating can be is 3 points?

Also, why have the restriction preventing you from taking more levels in Improved Ability than your base skill rating when that is totally redundant? At any given skill rating, you will hit the cap before you hit that restriction.

<<OK - having finally looked at the errata I can see that they pointed it to rating for Improved Ability so my question is moot, and there is no point in buying more than 3 levels>>

This post has been edited by samuelbeckett: Feb 20 2008, 12:09 PM

+Quote Post
samuelbeckett
post Feb 20 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

So, to follow on from the OP's point - presuming I'm not an adept, what else can I add to reach the modified rating cap?

Presuming I already have Aptitude and have maxed my skill to 7, my cap is 10. Reflex recorder will get me to 8, but aside from Improved Ability how can I get points 9 and 10?

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Feb 20 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (samuelbeckett @ Feb 20 2008, 12:58 PM) *
Also, why have the restriction preventing you from taking more levels in Improved Ability than your base skill rating when that is totally redundant? At any given skill rating, you will hit the cap before you hit that restriction.

Isn't the augmented maximum your highest naturally possible skill rank x1.5, as with attributes, instead of your current rank x1.5?
In the former case, the additional cap for improved ability would prevent adepts from boosting a rank 1 skill to (3) or (4) or a rank 2 skill to (5).

+Quote Post
samuelbeckett
post Feb 20 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Feb 20 2008, 12:58 PM) *
Isn't the augmented maximum your highest naturally possible skill rank x1.5, as with attributes, instead of your current rank x1.5?
In the former case, the additional cap for improved ability would prevent adepts from boosting a rank 1 skill to (3) or (4) or a rank 2 skill to (5).

I think a strict interpretation of the RAW is that the modified limit is governed by your current rank.

QUOTE (BBB Errata)
p.109 - A modified skill cannot exceed the base skill rating x 1.5

And the errata appears to have removed the original restriction from Improved Ability anyway.

What I am more interested in is how anyone other than physads can max a skill out, given that Reflex Recorders are the only non-magical way of increasing your modified skill rating - does anyone know if Aug or Arse contain anything else that could get the 9th and 10th point?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 20 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #15

Awakened Asset

As far as I know, only adepts can max. a skill out. Samurai can get beyond that in DP size, but almost everything provides only bonus dice, so the restriction only applies for Reflex Recorders taken at actual Skill Rating 1, and in combination with the adept power. I would have prefered an errata limiting the adept power only, much, as that is what the rule does.

+Quote Post
ixombie
post Feb 20 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,481

Adepts can get hands down the highest skill pools, both because of improved ability and the Attunement metamagic.

The only thing that brings sammies a little closer is cyberlimbs. There are various 'optimized' limbs that provide dice pool bonuses. Like there are the arms that provive +1 to unarmed combat per arm. But there aren't many varieties of optimized ware, it's not exactly expansive. And there's nothing stopping an adept from using the optimized limbs, since I'm fairly sure that optimized limbs are bonus dice, not augmented ratings which count towards the limit.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Feb 20 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

nitro (SR4) gives +2 to perception.
novacoke (SR4) gives +1 to perception.

move-by-wire (augmentation) boosts your dodge skill.

and control rig boosters (augmentation) can boost any vehicle skill. naturally, they only apply to rigging, but iirc at least first aid can be done via rigging and gain the bonus.

betel (arsenal) gives +1 to perception.
eX (arsenal) gives +1 to perception.
red mescaline (arsenal) gives +2 to perception.
pixie dust (arsenal) gives +1 to perception.

sage (street magic) gives +1 perception.

the drugs are a bit iffy, as they don't specify it's a dice pool modifier i assume it's a skill modifier (basically all of those things that boost perception are drugs)

there are also a number of other effects that grant "+2 to all logic-related skills" for example. it is quite unclear whether they are a dice pool bonus or a skill bonus, but i would treat it as being a dice pool bonus because imo if it applies to all logic-linked skills then we're basically talking about improved logic as opposed to improved skills. (not that this would apply to the logic augmented maximum, since it doesn't actually boost logic mind you)

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 20 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #18

Awakened Asset

QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 20 2008, 02:39 PM) *
Adepts can get hands down the highest skill pools, both because of improved ability and the Attunement metamagic.

The only thing that brings sammies a little closer is cyberlimbs. There are various 'optimized' limbs that provide dice pool bonuses. Like there are the arms that provive +1 to unarmed combat per arm. But there aren't many varieties of optimized ware, it's not exactly expansive. And there's nothing stopping an adept from using the optimized limbs, since I'm fairly sure that optimized limbs are bonus dice, not augmented ratings which count towards the limit.

Let´s start with anyone-must-have synthacardium 3. Extended volume 3 could also help. And yeah, Reflex Recorder (Athletics). Assume a base skill group of 4 and the effective skill rating is generally 8, 11 in the case of fatigue tests. Athletics dodge is a given at that point.

Knowledge skills AND languages +3 from mnemoic enhancers. Distribute broadly at chargen, any skill of 2 is actually a skill of 5.

Add that to the higher attributes of a samurai. I don´t think adepts are the ability kings... if they want those extra 2 dice (skill+3 instead of Reflex Recorder), the price for having magic left after implants is a high enough price to pay.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 20 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Looking at the SR4 BBB, it appears that there was a great deal of copy-pasting from SR3, which introduced errors. Many of these errors remained and had to be errated, though they still haven't made a clear distinction between skill (capped) augmentations and (uncapped) bonuses in many cases. There seems to be no rule for determining the difference.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 20 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

IME, and this is purely anecdotal, not an "official" opinion, SR4 works best if you apply the 1.5 limit to everything save for situational modifiers.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 22 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #21

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Don't forget the MbW - it has '+1 to the character’s Dodge skill rating' too.

+Quote Post
KurenaiYami
post Feb 22 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 22 2008, 02:28 AM) *
Don't forget the MbW

They didn't.

QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 20 2008, 09:40 AM) *
move-by-wire (augmentation) boosts your dodge skill.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 22 2008, 10:51 AM
Post #23

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Looks like I need more coffee.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Feb 22 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 20 2008, 01:40 PM) *
there are also a number of other effects that grant "+2 to all logic-related skills" for example. it is quite unclear whether they are a dice pool bonus or a skill bonus, but i would treat it as being a dice pool bonus because imo if it applies to all logic-linked skills then we're basically talking about improved logic as opposed to improved skills. (not that this would apply to the logic augmented maximum, since it doesn't actually boost logic mind you)

i'd say they're skill modifiers.

i too have been operating under the x1.5 cap for all modfiers, havn't run into too many problems.

+Quote Post
samuelbeckett
post Feb 22 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

So the consensus seems to be that the only way to hit skill limit cap is by being an adept.

For those peeps who are applying the x1.5 cap to all modifiers, are you referring to just dice pool modifiers from qualities/magic/'ware or situational dice pool modifiers too? Is it not too limiting to the characters? Does it render actions like Take Aim redundant because of the likelihood of a character hitting the x1.5 cap with simple 'ware?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.