IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any reason for Adepts to get Quickdraw Anymore?
BRodda
post Feb 20 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,811

Ok I was going over Arsenal last night and I see that now I can have quickdraw for 2 BP or 4 karma...

Boy I feel stupid having Quickdraw as an adept power now; I could have spent that .5 on Killing Hands. Or Armor. Or just about anythign else. And all it would have cost me is my 1/1 joygirl contact.

*sigh*

The only upside is I get to see if Throw Person manuver uses my strength bonus for throw items (I'm a throw adept and that +8 would be great for chucking people down hallways). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

Anyone have thoughts on if the Adept power is inherently better and I'm just missing something?
Any argements that say I can't chuck people better than a troll?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Feb 20 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 948

Lets see...

Troll STR 10
Bone Augmentation 4
Muscle Augmentation 2
Thai Boxing X2
Karate X2
Martial Arts: +4
Str: +6
Bone augmentation: +3
Hardliner Gloves: +1

Total Base HtH damage:
14P

Or an adept witha few points less in damage but -3 Armor...

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Feb 20 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

No, AFAICT there is no reason to take quickdraw anymore - assuming you're willing to invest the 5 BP in a martial art, and the 2 BP in the maneuver (which, if you're an adept, you'll probably be wanting martial arts anyways).

Also, throw doesn't use your strength for damage. Damage is based on distance thrown, only. You DO, however, use your strength in the opposed strength+unarmed combat test to see how far the person is thrown - and since power throw says it is used when calculating range of thrown objects... it wouldn't be a complete stretch to ask your GM if it could apply to that test, which determines both range and damage.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 20 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #4

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

IIRC, Quickdraw has a lower Threshold.

But learning KravMaga and getting Ready Weapon as a Free Action is still better most of the time.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 20 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

If I were your GM I'd let you learn your martial art with karma as normal, get your quickdraw maneuver, and then let you reallocate that extra 0.5 power points. But I'm nice.

I would not let you apply your Power Throw adept power to the throw maneuver, as the throw maneuver does not use the Thrown Weapons skill, it uses the melee skill. Right? If I'm wrong about that, disregard.
So maybe I'm not all that nice, after all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Feb 20 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Yeah, it uses unarmed-combat, instead of thrown weapons.

+Quote Post
It trolls!
post Feb 20 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,049

Throwing Weapons (People) sounds like an interesting specialization though...

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 20 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (It trolls! @ Feb 20 2008, 02:21 PM) *
Throwing Weapons (People) sounds like an interesting specialization though...

Yeah, but throwing someone doesn't really have anything to do with the Throwing skill. Unless you're talking about a Troll who throws babies. I guess then it would be small enough to be reasonably considered an improvised thrown weapon, especially with Missile Mastery. Hmmmmmmm, a troll with missile mastery and piles of power throw could throw a baby through a brick wall.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Feb 20 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

IIRC a metahuman body was an improvised thrown weapon in SR3... maybe not, though... it has grown foggy.

+Quote Post
ixombie
post Feb 20 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,481

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 20 2008, 02:25 PM) *
Yeah, but throwing someone doesn't really have anything to do with the Throwing skill. Unless you're talking about a Troll who throws babies. I guess then it would be small enough to be reasonably considered an improvised thrown weapon, especially with Missile Mastery. Hmmmmmmm, a troll with missile mastery and piles of power throw could throw a baby through a brick wall.

I think that would be one case where physics interposes. No matter how hard you throw a baby at a brick wall, the wall will be fine and the baby will not. They're just not hard enough. The same goes for fruit, or vegetables... Soft things can't punch holes in hard things. I won't allow it! And I'm usually very against realism based house rules. Certainly, if you had the power, you could chuck a piece of bread so that, mathematically, it would have enough force (mass x velocity) to punch through the entire earth. Except that the piece of bread would disentigrate and not even go anywhere. According to the most basic level of high school physics, a baby could be thrown through a brick wall, but according to a realistic view of the world, if you launched it that hard there probably wouldn't be enough baby left to even hit the wall with.

As for quickdraw... useless! Now and forevermore. Haw haw.

If you don't like that though, you could always houserule iajutsu and krav maga. Make people learn the iajutsu manuever or krav maga advantage for just one category of weapons. That way there would still be some reason to take the adept power. OR you could improve quickdraw somehow, like making it automatically successful. That way it wouldn't use a free action like krav maga does, and it also wouldn't require a test like iajutsu does. That's probably the better rule because it salvages the maneuver from utter crap without nerfing what's available for mundanes.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 20 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 20 2008, 03:35 PM) *
No matter how hard you throw a baby at a brick wall, the wall will be fine and the baby will not. They're just not hard enough.

I love Dumpshock.
Seriously, though, don't thwart my baby-chucking troll adept villain........help me think of a good villain name, instead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Feb 20 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,811

I think that would be one case where physics interposes. No matter how hard you throw a baby at a brick wall, the wall will be fine and the baby will not. They're just not hard enough. The same goes for fruit, or vegetables... Soft things can't punch holes in hard things. I won't allow it! And I'm usually very against realism based house rules. Certainly, if you had the power, you could chuck a piece of bread so that, mathematically, it would have enough force (mass x velocity) to punch through the entire earth. Except that the piece of bread would disentigrate and not even go anywhere. According to the most basic level of high school physics, a baby could be thrown through a brick wall, but according to a realistic view of the world, if you launched it that hard there probably wouldn't be enough baby left to even hit the wall with.

If you have Missle Mastery then the fruit would do damage, its the magic and not the mass or hardness. My adept tends to use playing cards that do 6P damage (STR 4 + 4 lev. Throw) without even using Incress STR. Of course if I REALY need to do some damage I just use my tomahawks (8P).

Of course without being an adept the fruit and baby just go splat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Feb 20 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Of course, by the rules, if you threw a baby at a wall, whether it does any damage to a wall, or not, it won't do any damage to the baby.

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Feb 20 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

What about a dwarf chucking troll? I mean a dwarf is only a little bigger then a baby in the eyes of a troll. Just put a helmet on the dwarf and chuck him through a wall. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
jago668
post Feb 20 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Feb 20 2008, 12:49 PM) *
Lets see...

Troll STR 10
Bone Augmentation 4
Muscle Augmentation 2
Thai Boxing X2
Karate X2
Martial Arts: +4
Str: +6
Bone augmentation: +3
Hardliner Gloves: +1

Total Base HtH damage:
14P

Or an adept witha few points less in damage but -3 Armor...

Yer doing it wrong.

Troll Strength 9 Magic 6 Critical Strike 6 Killing Hands Penetrating Strike 3 Improved Reflexes 2 Then any other 0.25 power you want
For qualities you take adept and 30 pts of Martial Arts and get the +6DV to unarmed.
Unarmed Strike 17P -3AP

EDIT

Adding in Alphaware Bone Density 4 then dropping Killing Hands the extra 0.25, and one point of Critical Strike. Will push you up to 19P -3AP (though you won't have the killing hands for hurting spirits, and other stuff).

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 20 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (BlackHat @ Feb 20 2008, 08:55 PM) *
IIRC a metahuman body was an improvised thrown weapon in SR3... maybe not, though... it has grown foggy.

Canon Companion, i think page 16, the part about improvised thrown weapons
Weapon ------- Damage ------- Skill ------ reach/range -------- Comments
Metahuman - (Body+2)l stun* - thrown -- (STR-Body)/2m** - Both Hands used, minimum Strength=body***
*= Meaning a Metahuman Body is used as a thrown "weapon". "Weapon" and target both take damage based on the body of the other party, the body of the throwing person does not matter
**= to calculate the range/reach of the thrown "weapon" the "weapon"'s body is used
***= Body of the "weapon" again . . so a troll with STR of 16 COULD throw someone with a body of 1 a whole 8 meters . . let's say at somebody with a body of 4 . . the "weapon" would do 3l stun damage against the armor of the target and then the target gets to do his body roll to escape damage.
The TARGET would do 6l stun damage to the "weapon" against the weapons armor and then the "weapon" gets to roll body to avoid damage.
Now there's the knock-back when getting hit and a troll could knock somebody he hit with full strength away some meters . . so i don't really see the point aside from the knock-down probably being thrown upon the target and the element of surprise . . of maybe simply throwing the mage with some touch ranged spell at a target *g*

+Quote Post
Jackstand
post Feb 20 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,298

I personally think that the same sort of reason they suggest be applied to the use of the Martial Arts specialization also be used on Iaijutsu.

+Quote Post
GryMor
post Feb 20 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 13,404

I think that would be one case where physics interposes. No matter how hard you throw a baby at a brick wall, the wall will be fine and the baby will not. They're just not hard enough. The same goes for fruit, or vegetables... Soft things can't punch holes in hard things.

I think you are wrong, I'm pretty sure a c-fractional baby throw will punch a hole in the wall, and if my energy calculations are correct, incinerate a multi block radius.

But whats that you say, a c-fractional baby throw is absurd? Well yes, it is, but it's the far end of the spectrum, and somewhere in between 1m/s and 30000 km/s there is a threshold where the soft baby goes through the wall. And I'm willing to be, order of magnitude wise, it's a lot closer to the slow end than the fast end.

+Quote Post
Jackstand
post Feb 20 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,298

I think we need to make a myth that a baby can be thrown through a wall, and then see about having it busted.

+Quote Post
jago668
post Feb 20 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

Well just get a big enough discarding sabot type thing, fit the baby in it, and shoot it out of a cannon. That seems like the best place to start.

+Quote Post
ArkonC
post Feb 20 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,483

That seems too "intelligent" a way to test it...
I'd start with a gigantic slingshot and go from there... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Feb 20 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

Your all fools of the highest caliber. Of course you could throw a baby through a wall... it just has to be dry wall, or a wall made out of glass. Maybe if overpopulation is a problem people could just chuck babies through windows with threats attached to them, like "It's yours now, have fun raising it for then next 17 years ha ha ha ha ha!" or possibly something more generic like a death threat cuz' nothing says insane like a death threat attached to a baby.

That is of course assuming that the glass is not bullet proof and the baby lands on something soft.

+Quote Post
ixombie
post Feb 21 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,481

QUOTE (GryMor @ Feb 20 2008, 06:29 PM) *
I think you are wrong, I'm pretty sure a c-fractional baby throw will punch a hole in the wall, and if my energy calculations are correct, incinerate a multi block radius.

But whats that you say, a c-fractional baby throw is absurd? Well yes, it is, but it's the far end of the spectrum, and somewhere in between 1m/s and 30000 km/s there is a threshold where the soft baby goes through the wall. And I'm willing to be, order of magnitude wise, it's a lot closer to the slow end than the fast end.

I guess I was thinking about accelerating the baby all at once to a velocity where it could punch through a wall. A baby wouldn't maintain its structural integrity if you did that, the acceleration would destroy it before it got to the wall.

Though I can't rule out something that accelerates the baby more gradually. Like if you had it on a rocket boster with a slow acceleration, you could get the baby to supersonic velocities without obliterating it with acceleration.

But I think I was right in the context of this discussion. We're not talking about firing a sabot-protected baby out of a cannon, or sticking a rocket booster onto a baby. We're talking about throwing the baby. If you could throw hard enough for something with the mass of a baby to go through a brick wall, you'd probably be throwing too hard for the baby not to disintegrate.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Feb 21 2008, 02:22 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 20 2008, 03:45 PM) *
Seriously, though, don't thwart my baby-chucking troll adept villain........help me think of a good villain name, instead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Just call him Chuck.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Lyonheart
post Feb 21 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 13,837

I think that would be one case where physics interposes. No matter how hard you throw a baby at a brick wall, the wall will be fine and the baby will not. They're just not hard enough.

Not true, see the Mythbusters episode with the chicken cannon.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.