Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skies Full Of Flying Guns, ARS Mods
Zen Shooter01
post Feb 22 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,042

ARS 129 says that firearms have six modification slots, and that it is possible to overmodify, to use more than six slots, but that it's a lot more expensive and difficult.

ARS 151 says that the flying propulsion system costs 8 slots.

So is the flying propulsion system automatically an overmod? Or could you interpret the rules to mean that if the flying propulsion system is the only modification, the weapon is not overmodified - but any further modification costing slots *is* an overmodification?

Or is the slot cost a typo?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Feb 22 2008, 05:02 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

I asked the same question here. No answer yet. I'm curious as well, because 20k for a gun that can fly for 2 minutes is already pretty high.

+Quote Post
ixombie
post Feb 22 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,481

I think what you need to do is think long and hard about "why would I want to make my gun fly around awkwardly for a very brief period, using a propulsion system that is so bulky as to be obvious to the casual observer?" Once you answer that question, you are lead to the answer to the thread topic: Who cares?

It's a valid question, but I don't think the answer to it matters... That means however you decide to run it is fine, we're not talking about something that will make a big impact on the game system. It's the gimick of all gimicks, if you used it once in your character's entire history, you'd be beating the odds. If you want death from above, just buy a drone.

+Quote Post
Earlydawn
post Feb 22 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,766

I always liked the idea of the intelligent gun - while it's not for everyone, I think there's merit in the idea of setting your rifle down, bipod popped, and having it cover the door behind you if things go bad. That said, the movement mods are idiocy..

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 22 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

I could see where that could be used in a very limited set of scenarios. But I'm not sure if mounting any of that would be better than simply putting in a higher level gas vent.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 22 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #6

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The smartgun has merit, but for 20k¥ you should have a tricked out rotor drone instead of a flying AR. Give personality to that.

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Feb 22 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

Am I the only one who gets the flying gun? It's not to make a little gun-buddy that kills people for you, it's to give the samurai a chance to pull off a Luke Skywalker when he's been ambushed in his own home and his gun is stuck in his jacket across the room. The bad guys start congratulating themselves when Sam sticks out his right hand and a pistol flies into it from across the room. Then they're all dead.
Seriously, flying guns are awesome!
Plus you can make the Sword of Omens.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 22 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #8

Awakened Asset

Lets put it this way. My samurai would not need a gun for close quarters, and the proper drone coming to his aid won´t try to reach him before shooting any hostiles.

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Feb 22 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,935

It's for technomancers to have more fun with machine sprites.

That being said, I would consider it an automatic overmod. But I've always been a follower of my GM's maxim "round to screw the player".

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Feb 22 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 22 2008, 06:53 PM) *
Lets put it this way. My samurai would not need a gun for close quarters, and the proper drone coming to his aid won´t try to reach him before shooting any hostiles.

Really, even if he's tied up? I've always had a hard time beating people up when I'm tied up.
And I refuse to use a flying gun as a drone. More of a super-holdout.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 22 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #11

Awakened Asset

If I´m tied up, I like a proper drone even better. No deal. The super-holdout would be fine if the upgrade was cheaper, and while technically apparently legal, I have problems with crawling heavy weapons.

Question: What does a flying weapon use for DR?

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Feb 22 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

Flying guns are expensive, but they have lots of applications.

The assault rifle you're carrying doubles as a flying drone. You don't have to carry both. Two minutes is an e-ter-nit-y in gunfight time. And a flying assault rifle is a lot more maneuverable than
a rotodrone. Rotos are medium drones, between the size of a large dog and a motorcycle (ARS 102). The diameter on the rotors for a helicopter that size would prevent it from fitting through doors or windows.

Flying assault rifles are also easier to store and transport. A metahuman can easily carry one.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 23 2008, 07:29 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 98

The flying mod also lets you do cool shit like duck back from the doorway you were about to enter before the nineteen guys beyond it started shooting at you, and just heave your gun into the room instead. While it's shooting the place up and drawing attention, you go through the door with your sidearm.

Anyone play Rogue Trooper? Your rifle held one of the personality chips from your dead squadmates (aptly named Gunnar), and came with a tripod that had a telescoping mount. Great fun to plonk that thing down along one axis of an ambush, take cover along the other with your sidearm, and lay into a bunch of attacking enemies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Velocity219e
post Feb 23 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 2,622

QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Feb 23 2008, 07:29 AM) *
The flying mod also lets you do cool shit like duck back from the doorway you were about to enter before the nineteen guys beyond it started shooting at you, and just heave your gun into the room instead. While it's shooting the place up and drawing attention, you go through the door with your sidearm.

Anyone play Rogue Trooper? Your rifle held one of the personality chips from your dead squadmates (aptly named Gunnar), and came with a tripod that had a telescoping mount. Great fun to plonk that thing down along one axis of an ambush, take cover along the other with your sidearm, and lay into a bunch of attacking enemies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Its funny because I was thinking the same thing, simplified slightly, but the same origin.

peek into a room, pick some targets, mark their priority and send the data over to your semisentient gun and poof its got a plan.

then you stick in a box magazine and tell it to suppress anyone who is stupid enough to try and escape, and you flank them on your own

in some situations I think that'd be fabulous.

of course I don't like the idea of the gun being able to fly, perhaps a cunning bipod / recoil soak (the giant inflatable tripod in Rogue trooper was way ott. But I preferred the silenced pistol anyway so I used the rifle trick all the damned time)

+Quote Post
Zuzuzu
post Feb 23 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 15,692

Weird that nobody seemed to mention an Engineer from Team Fortress 2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . "How am i gonna stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun."

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 23 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Feb 23 2008, 07:29 AM) *
Anyone play Rogue Trooper?

Man, that makes me feel old, I remember a time when that line would have been "Anyone read Rogue Trooper?"

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 23 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Ditto. And I'm not even old!

+Quote Post
Velocity219e
post Feb 24 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 2,622

QUOTE (Synner @ Feb 23 2008, 10:08 PM) *
Man, that makes me feel old, I remember a time when that line would have been "Anyone read Rogue Trooper?"

Read? Play? Who cares being Blue is the in thing, Rogue trooper rocks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:50 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.