5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Who we are as gamers, lets own up to oursleves
Hocus Pocus
post Feb 22 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

face it guys, when we admit to ourselves who we are we will cease to wonder why girls don't play these games and why are dorky actions are the true culprit. What really defines us as nerds and geeks. open your eyes! see for yourselves! accept your destiny! join me! and we will rule the galaxy as the geeky nerd brigade! then and only then will we get the hot babes that we dream of, and that the guys on the football team always get after they pants us and throw us in our locker.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Feb 22 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I'm not white. Well, not mostly white anyway.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 22 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

i'm not white . . i'm pale *g*

+Quote Post
djinni
post Feb 22 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Feb 22 2008, 01:32 PM) *
then and only then will we get the hot babes that we dream of, and that the guys on the football team always get after they pants us and throw us in our locker.

I think maybe you have the lower end of the spectrum, at least in my circle, we have those things you are dreaming of. and I never dished out wedgies I was secure enough to not pick on you guys.

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Feb 22 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

Uh, I don't have a locker, I'm an "adult."

But seriously, why would you remind us of the fact that most of us will live and die alone? Just because it's true doesn't mean I like to think about it. "Open my eyes?" That's a horrible plan. When my eyes are closed, at least there's hot naked chicks in my head. When my eyes are open, I have to think about reality. If I liked doing that, I wouldn't play Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Feb 22 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

I'm not white either, but geeky nerdness transcends racial boundaries. We must all unite to form a unified front! for the honor of all dorkiness!

QUOTE (djinni @ Feb 22 2008, 05:45 PM) *
I think maybe you have the lower end of the spectrum, at least in my circle, we have those things you are dreaming of. and I never dished out wedgies I was secure enough to not pick on you guys.

You used to be a jock?! infiltrator! code red! all are base are belong to us! hitch up your pants, beware the wet willie and the rear admiral!

QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ Feb 22 2008, 06:02 PM) *
Uh, I don't have a locker, I'm an "adult."

But seriously, why would you remind us of the fact that most of us will live and die alone? Just because it's true doesn't mean I like to think about it. "Open my eyes?" That's a horrible plan. When my eyes are closed, at least there's hot naked chicks in my head. When my eyes are open, I have to think about reality. If I liked doing that, I wouldn't play Shadowrun.

only when we see the truth will we aspire to gain what we don't have.

+Quote Post
swirler
post Feb 22 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,369

hmmm
maybe you guys just live in crappy places. My fiance' I live with is cute as all get out. So were my ex's. Most of my old gaming group I was in for years all have hot wives. The girls we larped with were all sexy as can be. We have plenty of women in my gmaing group. At one point we had more women then men.

+Quote Post
Erebus
post Feb 22 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

Hmm..

My wife is making a Shadowrun character tonight for a game I'm running either this weekend or next....
That kinda blows your theory out of the water... but hey, I still like Weird Al....

+Quote Post
swirler
post Feb 22 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

yeah I'm a huge Weird Al fan
and I am a geek, not a nerd. I have social skills.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Feb 22 2008, 06:17 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

Le sigh.
Y'all just ain't spent enough karma on charisma and con (seduce) yet. Give yourselves time.

Oh, and never underestimate the effect a case of beer can have on female judgment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) College will teach you many things padawan.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Feb 22 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

Well, a *lot* of babes love geeks and nerds... We are generally more tender, more gentle, make better salaries and some nerds are even good looking.

Personnally, I'm maried, father of two childrens, my wife is also quite nerd... and I survived the big 1987 hacker crackdown... ^_^

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Feb 22 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #12

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

I mostly run SR for girls at the mo (I is a boy). I'm a geek and proud though. I have a hot Gf (who roleplays and will hit me if she reads this). I have a degree and work in a bookshop.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Feb 22 2008, 06:32 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

Gaming is a refuge for the introverted. Extroverts do well anywhere, gaming included, but gaming seems to be unusually accepting of people lacking force of personality. Or proper socialization.

I have been in two university gaming clubs and several different gaming groups, and so many of them just seem stagnant. The same people wading in the same mediocrity year after year.

It's depressing, really. Kids who's only real skill is building a powerful RPG character.

One one hand, it's good they don't have to be alone. On the other, giving them a community tells them (us?) "you don't have to change. You can be just like us! We can all be mediocre together!"

I offer sincere congratulations to those of you with healthy social lives. In my experience, you are in a distinct minority.

As for myself, I am so introverted, I am nearly autistic. It should surprise no one that I am much more comfortable surrounded by facts than people. And I am _certain_ it has held me back in life.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 22 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (swirler @ Feb 22 2008, 01:14 PM) *
and I am a geek, not a nerd. I have social skills.

You're a person who eats unusual objects instead of an animal in a Dr. Seuss book?

I mean, I can understand how not being human might make it difficult to have standard human social skills, but biting the heads off of live chickens usually is a pretty big strike against that as well.

~J

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Feb 22 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Feb 22 2008, 07:32 PM) *
Gaming is a refuge for the introverted. Extroverts do well anywhere, gaming included, but gaming seems to be unusually accepting of people lacking force of personality. Or proper socialization.
As for myself, I am so introverted, I am nearly autistic. It should surprise no one that I am much more comfortable surrounded by facts than people. And I am _certain_ it has held me back in life.

Good points. I am an introvert, and I can manage socializing, but it does take a great deal of effort at times. I think the autism link is intriguing.

+Quote Post
swirler
post Feb 22 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Feb 22 2008, 12:32 PM) *

I am an introvert myself. The trick I learned in Highschool was to pretend I was an extrovert. Eventually I got so used to it that it kinda stuck. Unfortunately Ive developed something of a schism from it. heh

I have a friend with more than one autistic child. I did some research and found they are thinking part of it may be a vitamin A deficiency (or was it D? it's been awhile since I read it)

+Quote Post
Zuzuzu
post Feb 22 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 15,692

To quote the Al, "got my skills I'm a champion of D&D", uh-huh. The song is stunningly correct about all the core aspects of geekery. Lots of people here undoubtedly posess most of them, me included.

+Quote Post
swirler
post Feb 22 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 22 2008, 12:34 PM) *
You're a person who eats unusual objects instead of an animal in a Dr. Seuss book?

I mean, I can understand how not being human might make it difficult to have standard human social skills, but biting the heads off of live chickens usually is a pretty big strike against that as well.

~J

yes yes geeks bite head off chickens and dorks are the penises of whales
*shakes head*

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 22 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #19

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

biting the heads off of live chickens usually is a pretty big strike against that as well.

while biting heads off of live bats makes one famous somehow . . and i LIKE ozzy *g*

my GF is also quite the nerdy little geekette, but still cute as hell and sexy not only to me and my fellow dorks *g*
I also know more than one of those types of specimen O.o
As for Weird Al:"It's all about the pentiums baby!" says the BOFH

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Feb 22 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

face it guys, when we admit to ourselves who we are we will cease to wonder why girls don't play these games and why are dorky actions are the true culprit.

My wife won't play Shadowrun because there's no actual Druid class. Well, that and it would require her logging off of WoW. So... maybe things are a bit different for me. I wouldn't say I have a healthy social life outside of my family, but then, that's enough for me. More than enough, sometimes -- but that's to be expected with a two-year old. That's not from lack of skills so much as moving to the middle of nowhere and then having no real free time. (Though I lack all sense of etiquette, that's out of choice moreso than incompetence. I don't care which fork is which, they're all forks and they all work just fine and asking me to use one in particular is just silly.)

My old D&D group was all couples.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 22 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

You could always just make a skeletal Shaman with the Shapechange spell, then lie to her and claim that they added a Druid class to the game.

~J

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Feb 22 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (swirler @ Feb 22 2008, 01:47 PM) *
I am an introvert myself. The trick I learned in Highschool was to pretend I was an extrovert. Eventually I got so used to it that it kinda stuck. Unfortunately Ive developed something of a schism from it. heh

I have a friend with more than one autistic child. I did some research and found they are thinking part of it may be a vitamin A deficiency (or was it D? it's been awhile since I read it)

Most of the stuff I've read recently compares children with autism to opium addicts and that treatments are very much similar. I can't remember all the details but the body is producing something that is essentially making them high. They have all sorts of diet regimens that are supposed to help, such as cutting out gluten (and lactose if they can't handle it). All in all it was very interesting.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 22 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #23

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Six gamers, of that two women (not girls, plus one is my live-in GF), one male nerd (even got divorced due to WoW). I actually find it easy to defend RP as a hobby - women like creativity and intellect. About the only thing nerds need to learn in my experience is talking about something else than their speciality. For those romantically challenged, talking about THEIR hobby tends to work fine. Especially if they are nerds, too.

And Feshy, I get the part about voluntary lack of etiquette. In some moods I´m on the warpath against rethorical questions. As in teaching people not to ask questions they don´t want answered.

As this thread is going to end up in general gaming anyway, do you know many people with social problems due to online gaming? In addition to the aforementioned group member, one of us has a GF that took him on after leaving her BF of nine years because of WoW being more important than anything else (for the Ex). Or do you think it is just one of many hobbies occasionally leading to divorce?

+Quote Post
ixombie
post Feb 22 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,481

I would submit that this has nothing to do specifically with Shadowrun and doesn't even belong in this forum.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Feb 22 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

And Feshy, I get the part about voluntary lack of etiquette. In some moods I´m on the warpath against rethorical questions. As in teaching people not to ask questions they don´t want answered.

I've done that as well. Sometimes it can be hard to tread the line between A-social (I'll use whichever fork I like) and Anti-social (Which fork is the eye-stabbing fork? Oh - right. Two eyes, two forks.) At least, it used to be. I'm probably more mellow now. Mostly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.