Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dumpshock in Hot Sim question
Starmage21
post Feb 23 2008, 04:21 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,448

Hot Sim applies +2 to ALL matrix tests. If you take dumpshock, you resist with Willpower + Biofeedback Filter. Would you add +2 for hot sim to that as well? What about cybercombat matrix damage resistance tests? Why?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Feb 23 2008, 04:24 AM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

No because damage resistance is not a matrix test, even though it may sometimes be rolled while one is in the matrix.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2008, 06:06 AM
Post #3

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Sr4 pg231: "If your persona icon crashes, you are immediately disconnected from the Matrix. If you were operating with a VR interface, you suffer dumpshock." (emphasis mine)

Therefore, hot sim is already disabled when you take dumpshock.

On cybercombat, it's harder to say. Sr4 page 229: "You also receive an exceptional +2 dice pool to all Matrix tests while in hot sim mode, due to your hypersensitized state." (emphasis theirs)

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 23 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

There is a list of Matrix actions in the Wireless World chapter of your hymnal. I don't have it in front of me just now, but I'm going to guess it's on or around page 219. I think you'll find that Damage Resistance Tests of all varieties are absent from that list.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Aaron @ Feb 23 2008, 09:07 AM) *
There is a list of Matrix actions in the Wireless World chapter of your hymnal. I don't have it in front of me just now, but I'm going to guess it's on or around page 219. I think you'll find that Damage Resistance Tests of all varieties are absent from that list.
But it doesn't say actions, it says tests. Note that the list (on page 219) also doesn't show Matrix Full Defense (page 231), though that would clearly have the +2 bonus. Additionally note that it says: "Matrix damage to an icon from an Attack program is resisted with a System + Armor program Test." (emphasis mine)

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Feb 23 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Matrix tests as defined in BBB are tests that replace atttribute with program, so having willpower part of the test would nullify it even it was'nt a resistance test.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Feb 23 2008, 11:27 AM) *
Matrix tests as defined in BBB are tests that replace atttribute with program, so having willpower part of the test would nullify it even it was'nt a resistance test.
Sr4 Page 208. Which means damage resistance is a Matrix test, gaining the +2 hot sim bonus, except with regards to dumpshock and black programs (the things hot sim is most vulnerable too).

There is no indicate that Damage Resistance test are treated differently, other than they specifically do not apply wound modifiers (page 153: "Other bonuses may also apply...")

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 23 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 23 2008, 10:41 AM) *
Sr4 Page 208. Which means damage resistance is a Matrix test, gaining the +2 hot sim bonus, except with regards to dumpshock and black programs (the things hot sim is most vulnerable too).

There is no indicate that Damage Resistance test are treated differently, other than they specifically do not apply wound modifiers (page 153: "Other bonuses may also apply...")

If you wanted to get that picky, then I'd point out that the definition of a Matrix test specifies that a skill is included in the dice pool, which is not the case in a Damage Resistance Test.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Feb 23 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Should have cleared that up Program+Skill for "Matrix Test".

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 24 2008, 05:07 AM
Post #10

Beetle Eater

Actually, it calls that a "Matrix skills test" specifically, so I think the case is still open for either interpretation.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 24 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #11

Mr. Johnson

I don't have my book in front of me, but isn't the heading of that section "Matrix Tests" specifically?

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 24 2008, 05:02 PM
Post #12

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 23 2008, 10:13 AM) *
Additionally note that it says: "Matrix damage to an icon from an Attack program is resisted with a System + Armor program Test." (emphasis mine)

Er ... by this logic, wouldn't a note that "Falling damage to a character is resisted with a Body + half Impact Armor Test" mean that this is a Falling Test? I'm fairly certain that "Fire damage to a character is resisted with a Body + half Impact Armor Test" doesn't make it a Fire Test. I think you may be reaching, here.

Out of curiosity, are you in a Shadowrun game right now? If so, what are you playing?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 24 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #13

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I think a matrix test is clearly referencing something you do, as opposed to something that only happens to you.

In matrix combat, I´d give you the +2 for the opposed test, but under no circumstances for damage resistance.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 24 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #14

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Aaron @ Feb 24 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Er ... by this logic, wouldn't a note that "Falling damage to a character is resisted with a Body + half Impact Armor Test" mean that this is a Falling Test? I'm fairly certain that "Fire damage to a character is resisted with a Body + half Impact Armor Test" doesn't make it a Fire Test. I think you may be reaching, here.
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 24 2008, 12:19 PM) *
I think a matrix test is clearly referencing something you do, as opposed to something that only happens to you.
I'll but these agruements.

QUOTE (Aaron @ Feb 24 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Out of curiosity, are you in a Shadowrun game right now? If so, what are you playing?
I GM 4th edition.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 24 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #15

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 24 2008, 12:52 PM) *
I GM 4th edition.

Just checking. Sometimes people post stuff on Dumpshock to try to convince their GMs to let them get away with things. I wanted to make sure that you didn't have an angle. =i)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Feb 25 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

Simple answer - Resistance tests are passive, and not part of anything outside your person. Therefor resisting matrix damage is not a matrix test. Resisting gunfire damage is not a combat test.

+Quote Post
Tzitzimine
post Feb 25 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 14,985

Hello All,

I'm the Asst. GM for StarMage21. The GM, myself, and our hacker (Starmage21) discussed this at length. Like a good player StarMage21 was fighting to keep the +2. Neither I nor the GM felt it applied to Damage Resistance Tests. Especially since running Hot Sim makes you more susceptible to that form of damage anyway. So how could it give a bonus to resist it? That's just common sense.

So far as the rules go it doesn't specifically say one way or the other. (( Unwired FTW! ))

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.