Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spirit Combat, Physical Combat is the key
Redjack
post Feb 23 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #1

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I've recently been rather bummed out that spirits seemed to have been castrated in sr4 in regards to their Immunity to Normal Weapons.... So sitting down I started trying to figure out where I went wrong. That's when I noticed a key phrase:
QUOTE (BBB @ Pg177)
Combat with spirits follows the normal rules for physical (p.146) or astral (p.184) combat.

I had never actually flipped to page 146 and realized that was still melee combat (as in previous editions) and does not include ranged combat (which was back on page 140). I played in a game or two where the GM had misunderstood and I had just got the original ruling stuck in my head.

Now, I'm happily back to where bullets either harmlessly bounce off of or pass through materialized spirits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Feb 23 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Spirit Combat section is little fuzzy if read whole thing. "Physical spirits have the power of Immunity to Normal Weapons. (pg 288) Giving them armor equal to twice there force against ALL attacks." "This makes POWERFUL spirits virtually immune to most physical attacks." (caps are mine)

Looked in SM under Attack of Will pg 94. "Sometimes its better to try and hit a spirit with a gun then trying to shoot it." Leads me to believe they are effected by bullets.

Also looking back in BBB under Spirit Forms section mentions spirits not liking to materialize due to fact makes them vulnerable to physical attacks. It's one of those fuzzy spots were intention could be cleared up with some cannon exampes.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 23 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

One thing in the spirits' favor is the fact that DV bonuses from burst fire do not apply when comparing DV to armor value (page 143 in your hymnal).

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Feb 23 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

The DV vs Armor is another of those fuzzy spots that take little reading to catch, along same lines as firing long burst against several targets.....roll multiple times or once to determine final DV per target.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 23 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,309

The lazy among us catch the exlusion of automatic fire in the table on pg. 141 (german edition).

Firearms are clearly able to harm spirits. The amount of successes needed to accomplish that is quite high, but the hardened armor rules ensure that once the spirit is harmed, it is usually also squished.

The houserule of hardened armor = half rating dice rolled, half rating counting as autosuccesses fixes things pretty well, but spirits stay vulnerable.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Feb 23 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #6

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Feb 23 2008, 10:54 AM) *
Looked in SM under Attack of Will pg 94. "Sometimes its better to try and hit a spirit with a gun then trying to shoot it." Leads me to believe they are effected by bullets.

Here is the key that I missed... I sincerely need to spend a little more time reading SM... Though I also like
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 23 2008, 12:26 PM) *
The house rule of hardened armor = half rating dice rolled, half rating counting as auto successes fixes things pretty well, but spirits stay vulnerable.

I've always seen where people assign all hardened armor as automatic hits, but this seems a little more balanced.

Thanks for the replies

+Quote Post
Strelkovaya
post Feb 24 2008, 05:52 AM
Post #7

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,157

I have to say it took me a while to find that all spirits actually do get I2NW, SR4 is relatively sorted for coordinating and collating related rules (or tagging entries with relevant page numbers).

Spirits are still pretty good at all things and although some of the cheese is still there, overall they are definitely put out in their best light for normal use.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.