Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mind Control and Security, Brain waves
Dayhawk
post Feb 25 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,417

If someone was under magical mind control, would a brain scan show their thought patterns as being different then they normal look?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 25 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Dayhawk @ Feb 25 2008, 02:54 PM) *
If someone was under magical mind control, would a brain scan show their thought patterns as being different then they normal look?

I think this is wholly in the realm of GM discretion.

Logically it probably would generate increased brain activity, though since it is a magical effect it might not.

If you as the GM decided it did, the subject would still need to have an implant to monitor for the effects, and either a computer program or expert watching the feed to determine what was happening.

It would be a pretty paranoid facility that had the secguards implanted with a monitor connected to a monitoring program and also loaded those guards with say an auto injector of some sort of tranquilizer. Additionally while that sort of set up might help with mind control spells (if it worked) it may be vulnerable to hacking so it's a trade off.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Feb 25 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i would say it depends on the spell. influence, probably not. control emotions, maybe (i think you could notice the change in emotions technologically, but conclusively demonstrating that it isn't because the guard just thought about something that changed how they feel would be difficult). control thoughts probably, because you'd suddenly start thinking in a way completely unlike yourself. control actions absolutely, because the body and the mind would be arguing with each other. which has got to look weird in how the brain reacts.

i would also say that given you resist those spells on a regular basis, it is entirely possible that an appropriate device could register that resistance.

on a side note, devices that scan your brain are pretty danged cheap and common in shadowrun. they're called trode nets. if that wasn't sufficient for some reason, i would say a simrig at least would qualify for getting enough information to notice the mind control.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 25 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

The hardware I agree is common and fairly cheap, it's analysis software I expect might be a bit pricey.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 25 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

Im not sure Id make Trodes/Sim modules able to instantly know that the brain is acting strangely, though I definitely believe it is within the capability of the hardware given correct monitoring software. This could be quite fun, especially if your mage uses Mob Mind like there is no tomorrow. Id say maybe device rating gets chance to detect spell, using the detect magic rules. A higher force Mind Control would be easier to notice than a lower force. Also GM should do it on a spell to spell basis, as Instant spells would give the device less time to notice an abnormality.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 25 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #6

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...the thing is aren't the Control Thoughts/Emotions/Action sustained spells that require line of sight? This would mean the mage would need to keep a constant bead on the sec guard. That could prove difficult if he (the guard) went around a corner, behind an obstruction, or through a door.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 25 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

I thought that you could sustain a spell without line of sight, you only needed line of sight to cast. IS that correct? or do spells drop the second the target is out of sight?

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Feb 25 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #8

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

I don't know, personally I think I'd require a SimRig as opposed to a mere datajack or sim module, but yeah, all but the most stuble spells should show up with the proper equipment.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 26 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 25 2008, 06:42 PM) *
...the thing is aren't the Control Thoughts/Emotions/Action sustained spells that require line of sight? This would mean the mage would need to keep a constant bead on the sec guard. That could prove difficult if he (the guard) went around a corner, behind an obstruction, or through a door.

Common KK, you only need LOS to cast. After that they're your bitches! Course, my personal preference is to watch them, because otherwise I don't know what they are doing exactly and can't react appropriately. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 26 2008, 01:02 AM
Post #10

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

If it was me, I'd just apply the rules for noticing spellcasting. If the tech on the scanner manages to come up with (6-Force) hits or better, she notices something odd in the readings.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 26 2008, 01:03 AM
Post #11

Mr. Johnson

Oh

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 26 2008, 01:10 AM
Post #12

Mr. Johnson

good

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 26 2008, 01:20 AM
Post #13

Mr. Johnson

grief.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 26 2008, 01:58 AM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

My preference is to Mod Mood everyone into insatiable lust such that the guards stop guarding in order to have sex with each other. If doesn't matter how many hits the scanner tech could get if he's to busy with other pursuits to check.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 26 2008, 02:01 AM
Post #15

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 25 2008, 04:02 PM) *
Common KK, you only need LOS to cast. After that they're your bitches! Course, my personal preference is to watch them, because otherwise I don't know what they are doing exactly and can't react appropriately. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

...you know I'm always looking for any angle to give mundanes a little more edge against magic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 26 2008, 04:17 AM
Post #16

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 25 2008, 07:58 PM) *
My preference is to Mod Mood everyone into insatiable lust such that the guards stop guarding in order to have sex with each other. If doesn't matter how many hits the scanner tech could get if he's to busy with other pursuits to check.

This is why I like the custom spell called Nature's Call (or the area version, Half Time). It's got all the effectiveness of Orgasm, but it's far more subtle.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 26 2008, 04:29 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Aaron @ Feb 25 2008, 09:02 PM) *
If it was me, I'd just apply the rules for noticing spellcasting. If the tech on the scanner manages to come up with (6-Force) hits or better, she notices something odd in the readings.

QUOTE (Aaron @ Feb 25 2008, 09:03 PM) *
Oh

QUOTE (Aaron @ Feb 25 2008, 09:10 PM) *
good

QUOTE (Aaron @ Feb 25 2008, 09:20 PM) *
grief.

Wow, I think this is about the worst Ive seen it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 25 2008, 09:58 PM) *

WOW! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) Reminds me of Orgasmo when the cops starts humping the bum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

+Quote Post
Whitelaughter
post Feb 26 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 15,701

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 26 2008, 12:01 PM) *
...you know I'm always looking for any angle to give mundanes a little more edge against magic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

Have the guards ordered to report in every 5 minutes and say "I'm being mind controlled". If they *are* being mind controlled, the mage will order them not to tell anyone; so a failure to report lets you know that there's a problem.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 26 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

I would think that if everyone was wearing a trode net, and the software had time to gather together a good set of data for each person then the brain activity caused by the spell would show up. Let's face it, without that background data on what is normal for each person, the software wouldn't know anything.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 26 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

I think that the tech described for 2070 means that pulling a neural baseline on your security guards is a pretty trivial task. Heck the things we're doing with neuro imaging now is pretty creepy (and awesome, did I mention it was awesome?)

It's probably a pretty recent development (now that trodes work almost as well as datajacks) but I'd think it would be standard practice, probably part of a psych workup (not for their health but to see if they're secretly Aztlan operators).

But I also think it's a large matter of how you're using mind control. A spell like Nature's Call is probably pretty hard to detect whereas a full up mind control with the command "Place barrel in mouth, try to suck out the primer." would probably be more obvious.

If pulling out a profile was too hard they'd probably just teach the guards to do the mental equivalent of what Whitelaughter described. A simple mental gymnastic that isn't going to get done because the guard is too busy staring intently at the wall.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 26 2008, 01:17 PM
Post #21

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Whitelaughter @ Feb 26 2008, 04:50 AM) *
Have the guards ordered to report in every 5 minutes and say "I'm being mind controlled". If they *are* being mind controlled, the mage will order them not to tell anyone; so a failure to report lets you know that there's a problem.

On that vein (and with a bit more decorum) would be a policy where all employees announced their actions before they did them, as with modern policy in Really High Security places.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 26 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Than they would roll dice against an abstract number that represents their skills an-

Wait a second.

Answered my own quesiton, I think. If you go into a room to view a secure document it would make sense you'd have to state "I'm opening the box" etc etc. Right?

+Quote Post
Dayhawk
post Feb 26 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,417

My plan was to have the guards of this facility being monitored.

One turn after they started acting "funny", the device monitoring them would get a check.

Device rating Vs. the Net hits of the mind control.

Since the person under mind control gets checks to break the control, I take this as their mind trying to get control back which can be read.

So for example:

Guard has a willpower of 3. Mage has 10 dice.

The guard gets 1 hit and the mage 3 hits.

The mage then orders the guard to let them in and sit down so he can be tied up. (My players are usually more creative then this, but im just making an example.)

The guard enters the passcode and the device now gets its check.

Device 5 vs 2 net hits.

If it gets 2 hits then any number of things could happen. But probably a silent alarm is set off.

If it fails to get 2 hits then its business as usual.

At least that was what I was thinking.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 26 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #24

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 26 2008, 05:21 AM) *
Than they would roll dice against an abstract number that represents their skills an-

Wait a second.

Answered my own quesiton, I think. If you go into a room to view a secure document it would make sense you'd have to state "I'm opening the box" etc etc. Right?

...I am inserting the fuse in the bomb

I am turning the fuse until it locks

I am picking up the bomb

I am moving my left leg

I am moving my right leg...

--Algernon from Help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Feb 26 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

Yeesh...the whole brain-scan thing is way too elaborate.

Just have a small, low-force ward set up somewhere (like an entryway) where the potentially mind-controlled person must pass through it on occasion.

He steps through and:
1) the spell fails (unlikely, but at that point he knows something's up and he calls for backup)
2) the ward pops (which the mage who built the ward immediately knows, and if even remotely worth the nuyen he charged to set it up, he phones in to the security line with the location of the ward that popped, security shows up, knowing there's an enemy mage on-hand)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.