Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Arsenal of my own, various ideas that i've been mulling
Daier Mune
post Feb 26 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,341

while i enjoyed Arsenal for what it was (weapons, ammunition, and gear), i was hoping for some new concepts to be introduced, instead of just updated 3rd edition stuff. so, instead of whining about it, i decided to start writing things down.

starting with the mundane, realistic equipment:

Hornet's Nest Grenade
read about it here
This isn't so much a grenade, as it is an adapter for grenade launchers. it fits 10 .22 caliber rifle rounds into it, and a single blasting cap fires them all at once. While the bullets and blasting caps are expended, the Hornet's Nest grenade remains intact, and may be reloaded.

Base damage: 6P -1AP (may be loaded w/ any standard ammo)
Treat as Narrow FA shot

-Due to the larger size of the grenade, it can not be used in SA grenade launchers
$250 for the Hornet's Nest
$25 for each blasting cap
cost of bullets not included

Camera Grenade
read about it here
Not quite a drone, as it can not function on its own, the Camera Grenade is fire into the air from a standard grenade launcher for quick recon and survailance when full drone support is unavailable. Like the Hornet's Nest, the Camera Grenade is reuseable, requiring a fresh blasting cap.

fired into air (standard GL ranges), parachutes down.
~30 sec parachute flight. recoverable

Camera features low light vision, image magnification, R3 image enhancement.
$500 for Camera Grenade
$25 for blasting caps

And now, onto the more futuristic.

Cybernetic Integrated Armor
Suit Stats: 10/8 Armor (w/ specialized helmet)
Cost: $10,000
Avail: 20F
These full body suits are designed to add functionality to a user's internal cyberware, providing a new level of defense for those willing to invest in chrome. Each system requires a dedicated datajack to relay information between the suit and the cyberware.

Move-By-Wire Integration: Connecting the powered armor's actuators to the sophisticated controll system of the Move-by-Wire means that the user is able to run and jump in thier battle suit just as easily as they could in thier birthday suit. Each rating of MbW adds to Athletics tests.
+$2000

Smart Skin Integration: By adding a layer of sensors to the armor, the suit is able to relay a warning to the user's Smart Skin, maximizing the defense against ballistic and impact damage. The effective rating of Smart Skin is increased by 1 (meaning that a R3 smart skin becomes an R4, with a 4/4 armor rating).
+$2000

Blood Circuit Control System Integration: Similar to the Smart Skin Integration, this layer of sensors sends a warning to the BCCS when it detects a kinetic impact powerful enough to bypass the suit's armor, allowing the BCCS to preemptively shut down the targeted area and minimize damage to the user. The Blood Circuit Controll System functions like a Trauma Damper in addition to it's standard function.
+$2000

(prices do not include cost of cyberware)

I've got more to post, but its late so i'll have to do it tomorrow. feel free to post any weapons/armor/gear concepts you've been kicking around, too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Feb 26 2008, 07:18 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

A few questions:
a) How do you justify .22s doing a base of 6P -1? This is equal to a Warhawk, and is being fired on full auto?
b) The camera grenade actually works out quite nicely as a Limited Mobility modified drone. Hell, you could even build a grenade that distributes microdrones to an area.
c) The cybernetic integrated armor doesn't make sense. At all. Scope out the military armor from Arsenal again, I think it captures the feel of what you're going for.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 26 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Read the link but... still dont' really understand why this is such a great round besides "You can shoot someone close range without switching to another weapon". I'm less concerned with the damage since I'd basically treat it like a shotgunshell you shoot out of a grenade launcher. The fact that you could load gel, stick n shock, APDS, would give it added utility but... it's still strikes me as a novelty.

I really like the grenade camera. You could shoot it through second story windows, bank shot it around corners, etc etc. It rolls down stairs, it runs over the neighbor dog.. it's log! er...
But yeah, this is being offered to my character next game. I second the opinion that it would do well as "cameralet" dispenser.
Another suggestions: Flashbang(Flashpak?)/Camera. You shoot it into a room, the flashbang part goes off and it immediately gives you a live feed of the people you just blinded. Also fun at parties.

I have to tenatively agree with Kyrn, the power armor stuff is kinda superfulous as I think the standard rules already cover most of what you're trying to do. It would make for some nice flavor text if players come across some SOTA gear.

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Feb 26 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

I don't understand why the hornet's nest would be treated as a narrow burst. Wouldn't a wide burst make more sense?

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Feb 26 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

QUOTE (Kyrn @ Feb 26 2008, 02:18 AM) *
A few questions:
a) How do you justify .22s doing a base of 6P -1? This is equal to a Warhawk, and is being fired on full auto?

Single .22 shots should be 4P, just like other holdouts.

I first took the 6P/-1 to _be_ the burst stats. But that doesn't really mesh either.

All this is really doing is approximating a round of buckshot from your grenade launcher. That is what, 9P/+2 vs Imp? (though it beats me why a single .22 lead slug goes against ballistic, but a swarm of 9 .32 cal lead balls goes against impact.)

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 26 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 98

I'd always assumed that even "standard" ammunition in SR had advanced some in terms of metallurgy and construction from being a basic cast lead slug. Buckshot, on the other hand, won't have changed much at all. And we never have been told conclusively that hold-outs fire .22 LR... who knows what people stick in 'em?

The short version is: it's an abstraction, and I'm not too worried about it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I might give that .22 grenade a damage code along the lines of a shotgun... 9(f)/+4 (erratta'd Flechette rules) would be fine. Maybe even give it a 1-point bump in the direction you felt appropriate. On the other hand, you could also develop a canister round for grenade launchers (basically an actual shotgun shell, in XX millimeter, so it loads into launchers). Damage would probably be in the 9-10(f)/+4 range.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Feb 26 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

RE: Hornets Nest
yeah i honestly don't see much of a demand for it in Shadowrun, and from what i know there wasn't much of a demand for it in real life. so yeah, mostly a novelty/niche weapon, but i needed to get it written down so it would stop bouncing around in my head. i had put down 6P -1 since they were technicaly rifle rounds, and making the assumption that the basic sporting rifles were .30 cal, so slightly less powerful than a full hunting rifle, but moreso than a light pistol.

RE: Integrated Armor
i think the concept of armor that gained functionality from your cyberware sounded cooler in my head. i've been trying to figure out ways to make modular cyberarm weapon systems a viable, worthwile investment, but it too seems to be a concept that sounds cooler than it is.

More Random Ideas:

Monofilament Net Launcher
Functions just like the net gun from Arsenal, except that the nets are made from woven monofilament wire. the net launcher itself has been slightly modified to prevent the nets from catching and slicing the barrel to shreds, so the MF nets can't be fired from a standard net gun.

8P -4AP initial impact damage (damage from being hit with monowire net)
6P -2AP ongoing impact damage that must be resisted every time the target struggles to break out of the net

Normal sized net gun:
cost: $1,000
Avail:16F
Large sized net gun:
cost: $1,200
Avail: 16F
Both carry a magazine of 4 nets, which cost $500 each (also 16F avail)

Alternative Meele Grips
The +1 bonus for personalized grips in Arsenal is pretty cool, but I wanted to see more modification for meele weapons. All grips cost $50 and take 1 modification slot.
Defender: +2 for parry tests
Quickdraw: +2 for quickdraw tests (+1 for two handed weapons)
Bastard: +2 DV for a 1 handed weapon thats gripped with both hands, and reduces the penalties associated with using a 2 handed weapon with one hand by 1

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 27 2008, 01:18 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 98

.22 Long Rifle is a bit of a misleading name. .22 LR is about the lowest-power round still in common usage, the vast majority of that being in target pistols and target/plinking rifles. The individual rounds are just barely under an inch long, and 0.22 inches in diameter.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 28 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

One of my players made an interesting observation about your last gear post:

"If it uses monofilament, does is it still really a net?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Everyone I've talked made "ick" sounds even before I read the descriptions, nasty piece of work.

+Quote Post
Lyonheart
post Feb 28 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 13,837

I wonder if you could make a camera grenade shoot out an iBall...

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Feb 28 2008, 04:04 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 27 2008, 09:42 PM) *
One of my players made an interesting observation about your last gear post:

"If it uses monofilament, does is it still really a net?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Everyone I've talked made "ick" sounds even before I read the descriptions, nasty piece of work.

hell, it'd probably work better than a regular net, since it would give someone a reason to lay down and assume the party submission position.

QUOTE (Lyonheart @ Feb 27 2008, 09:45 PM) *
I wonder if you could make a camera grenade shoot out an iBall...

probably not, but i don't see why you couldn't make a grenade launcher adapter to fire an iBall.

well, another day, another post.

Smart Bullets
Utilizing the latest in nanotechnology and smart materials, these bullets are capable of slightly changing thier shape and density in order to achieve different ballistic effects. They must be loaded into Smartlink-equiped guns in order to gain their functionality. Changing 'settings' on the bullets requires a free action.

Hard Setting: +0P -2AP
Soft Setting: +1P +2AP
Fragile Setting: (use Frangable Round rules)

Cost: $300 per 10 rounds

Sticky Grenades
A modification available for all grenades, this essentialy places strips of gecko tape on the grenade, allowing the grenade to stick to practicaly any surface it comes in contact with. When firing or throwing the grenade, a critical glitch will result in the grenade sticking to the barrel of the launcher or your hand. When the grenade reaches the target, roll 1d6, on a result of 1 the grenade does not stick, and you resolve scatter as normal. On a result of 2-6, the grenade sticks fast to the intended target.

Airbursting grenades will gain no benefit from this mod, so you'll have to rely on the grenade's timed detonation. A further modification can be made to install a wireless detonator, or a motion sensitive detonator, at added cost.

Sticky Mod:
+$100, 10F Avail

Wireless Detonator:
+$50 10F Avail

Motion Detonator:
+$100 10F Avail

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 28 2008, 05:43 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Smart bullets... certainly a gadget with potential.

Sticky Grenades would also work well for forcing characters into the party submission position (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . I'm pretty sure sticky grenades would have some sort of polymer that'd force the gecko strips down during handling and launching them, activating it only after the grenade had gone a certain distance.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Feb 28 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,245

here is an Idea for ya. Fin stabilized ammo that can steer itself to the target. requires a smart link to use but much better accuracy from long range.

+Quote Post
Nostalgic Jester
post Feb 28 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 11,188

I think the smart bullets are an awesome concept! They will need some more work, though.

I´m not really into any of the other gadgets but the bullets are awesome indeed.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Feb 28 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Feb 28 2008, 06:11 AM) *
here is an Idea for ya. Fin stabilized ammo that can steer itself to the target. requires a smart link to use but much better accuracy from long range.

hmm, maybe something like reduces negative dice pool modifies for friring at extended range by 1, and reduces the dice pool bonus for a running defender by 1?

since it's a fin stablized penetrator, we can assume its an improvement on the APDS, so use the rules from that but increase price and availability as appropriate.

QUOTE (Nostalgic Jester @ Feb 28 2008, 06:15 AM) *
I think the smart bullets are an awesome concept! They will need some more work, though.

what would you suggest? i didn't want to make the hard/soft modes too powerful, as i don't think it'd be able to perfectly model a flechette or a APDS round. plus i didn't want to throw in anything crazy like explosives or gel round modes. always open to suggestions.

Okay, so if you guys thought the integrated armor was unnesessary, then hold onto your hats, because i'm about to raise the bar.

Full Arm Modular Cyberweapon Platforms
Now, maybe I wasted too much of my youth playing Metroid and Megaman, but I've always thought that grafting a laser to your arm was a great idea. the addition of the modular cyberarms in Augmentation gave me hope that maybe there would be specialized weapon systems available in Arsenal, but no such luck. Now honestly, these weapons are hard to justify as worthwhile investments... but that's never stopped me before.

Modular Cyberweapon Platform rules:
-MCP arms are roughly the same lentgh as thier natural metahuman arm (dwarf and trolls are obvious exceptions), making them ideal for CQB, and suffer no penalties for being fired in hand to hand combat.
-MCPs are electromagneticaly locked into place at the shoulder joint, making them impossible to be dropped or disarmed (not a pun).
-Ammo storage is in the upper arm, with a penalty of -10% ammo for dwarfs, +20% ammo for trolls
-loss of hand functions, and is very obvious
-Only one weapon on a MCP can be fired at a time, and requires a free action to switch between different weapons.

Ares Peacemaker
A police model MCP designed for Riot Suppression and Non-Lethal CQB takedowns.

-Freeze Foam Launcher
6 shots (your choice of foam rating)
-Stick'n'Shock SMG
6S(e) -1/2AP BF/FA 40c

Cost: $22,000
Avail: 16R

Ares Prime
The 'Flagship' of Ares' MCP project, the Prime is a universal weapons platform, meant to give soldiers on the frontline access to nearly everything that they could need in combat. A Smartlink with an Improved Rangefinder is included standard, and the entire Arm has a Gyrostabilizer providing Recoil and Movment compensation of 3 points.

-Grenade Launcher
(as grenade) SS 6c
-Shotgun
7P +2 SA 10c
-SMG
5p -0 BF/FA 30c

Cost: $28,000
Avail: 18F

Ares Endgame
The Endgame is a limited run MCP that shows off some of the fanciest gadgets that Ares has to offer. Featuring an MP Laser-3 and a Screech Sonic Rifle in one package, both Smartlink equiped. Both weapons draw off the same Power Pack (30 points worth).
-Sonic Rifle
(use Arsenal rules)
-MP Laser-3
(use Arsenal rules)

Cost: $40,000

+Quote Post
ICPick
post Feb 28 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 15,637

Actually the Hornets nest would not be like buckshot as the rounds themselves are half of the size (00 buck is about .38 caliber)
I would definitely argue the similarity (or lack thereof) further because shotgun rounds are very slow, and 22lr are very fast and with alot more range.

It would definitely be similar to a narrow FA shot in SS form using the basic stat of a holdout pistol based upon the fact that the 'fake' grenade case itself is the length of the effective barrel. Makes a MGL6 alot more useful in some ways.....

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Mar 4 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

*cracks knuckles* alright, back to work.

This is a list of stuff that I'm surprized wasn't mentioned in Arsenal, since I don't think they're too far-out for 6th world technology.

HESH Assault Cannon Round
High Explosive Squash Head is a specialized Assault Cannon round designed for bringing down walls and other wall-shaped barriers.
(Damage/AP as cannon) -1/2 Barrier rating
$500 for 10 rounds, 16F

Dragon's Breath Shotgun Shells
Dragon's Breath rounds are shotgun shells packed with highly flamable material that produces a flamethrower like effect when fired. due to the prolonged burn of the shell and the lack of recoil, these round CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be fired from a semi-auto shotgun.

6P(fire) -1/2 AP Impact armor
use Flamethrower rules, Light Pistol ranges
-Can not be used in SA shotguns
$200 for 10 rounds, 12F

Freeze Thrower
C'mon, don't tell me you havn't thought about it. I don't care how cheezy it is. Remember to apply secondary effects that may occur from spraying a target with liquid nitrogen.

6P(cold) -1/2AP SS 4(detachable tank)
(use Shiawaze Blazer rules)
$1,500 16F for the gun
$100 for a 4 shot tank, 16F

Sakura Typhoon
Considering that the corebook refers to the Sakura Fubruki as the 'flagship in a new line of guns', I kind of expected to see more of these types of firearms. Apparently I guessed wrong. This is what I think the next in the line of guns would look like.

SMG
4P -0 SA/BF/FA* 15x4(ml)
BF = 0/-1 recoil (narrow only)
FA = -2/-3 recoil (6 round narrow only)
$6000, 12R

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Mar 4 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Mar 4 2008, 09:00 PM) *
Dragon's Breath Shotgun Shells
Dragon's Breath rounds are shotgun shells packed with highly flamable material that produces a flamethrower like effect when fired. due to the prolonged burn of the shell and the lack of recoil, these round CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be fired from a semi-auto shotgun.

Thanks, these were something i was really looking forward in Arsenal and then it didn't have them. I'm actually really disapointed for Arsenal only having one new ammo type for shotguns.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Mar 4 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

being a fan of shotguns, i too was disapointed in the selection of new models and lack of special ammo.

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Aug 19 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

*Thread Resurrection!*
There are some really nice toys in this lot.

Adding to this list some more toys:

CornerAssault system
Intergrating modern tech into SR
This system is a rifle stock style mount that can accommodate most standard SA pistols. The signature feature of this system is the capability to fire shots around corners.
(Removes the penalty for firing from cover)
This system occupies the underbarrel location of the gun.
The CornerAssault system has an integrated smartgun system, an additional top mount slot, and an optional point of recoil compensation from the retractable stock.
Turning the swivel 90 degrees is a simple action that can be activated by smartlink or manually.
2,500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)

Variants:
CornerAssault AAR
This complete system upgrades the pistol system to an Articulated Assault Rifle system bringing higher caliber and higher rate of fire to the table.
Intergrated smartgun, gas vent 1, and imaging scope included.
Turning the swivel 90 degrees is a simple action that can be activated by smartlink or manually.
6P/-1AP SA/BF/FA RC1 40©
3,500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 19 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #21

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

You can pretty much already do that with a regular old smartlink.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 19 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Don't ask me, where i got this Idea.
Instead of using an GAS Grenade, outfit a regular fragmentation grenade with a soft tissue / latex covering. In between this covering and the actual Fraggrenade, place the strongest instant action sedative or whatever you want. Grenade goes off, dozends to hundreds little small injection needles. Everybody who suffers at least one point of physical damage from the Grenade going off gets to resist the chemical inside with just his normal Body Attribute.

+Quote Post
McAllister
post Aug 19 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,282

QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Mar 4 2008, 03:00 PM) *
HESH Assault Cannon Round
High Explosive Squash Head is a specialized Assault Cannon round designed for bringing down walls and other wall-shaped barriers.
(Damage/AP as cannon) -1/2 Barrier rating
$500 for 10 rounds, 16F

Wow. This Daier Mune character has done some very interesting work. I like his style. That said, I hope he won't mind if I propose a change to the functionality of this HESH ammunition.

I read on the page he linked me to that the HESH round does not actually penetrate tank/building armor; rather, the shockwave created by the explosion of the distributed plastic explosive is transferred through the armor, and causes the inner layer to shatter in an effect called spalling. I remember that if you shoot something explosive at a vehicle, its passengers also have to resist the damage; however, they have the great advantage of being able to add the vehicle's armor to their own.

I think HESH rounds should have the same effect on barriers/vehicles that a 8DV fragmentation grenade would, but anyone on the other side of the barrier/vehicle also has to resist the same damage as if the barrier/vehicle weren't in the way. My rationale for this is that more barrier/vehicle armor is just going to create a better environment for the shockwave to travel through, and more spalling on the other side. Smart armor, however, would add its full value to the passengers' own personal armor, as would the Personal Armor mod from Arsenal.

The result? Unless the passengers are armored or in a smart-armored vehicle, this is going to make some chunky salsa. Then again, that's the intent of its design. However, the low base DV combined with the high AP means it's only effective in a very enclosed space, or against soft targets.

Oh, and using it on a non-vehicular target would give you 8DV, 1/2AP+5. Less effective than a normal assault cannon round, unless the target has 20+ armour (in which case 8DV isn't going to do anything anyway)

+Quote Post
underaneonhalo
post Aug 19 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,736

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 19 2009, 04:44 PM) *
Don't ask me, where i got this Idea.
Instead of using an GAS Grenade, outfit a regular fragmentation grenade with a soft tissue / latex covering. In between this covering and the actual Fraggrenade, place the strongest instant action sedative or whatever you want. Grenade goes off, dozends to hundreds little small injection needles. Everybody who suffers at least one point of physical damage from the Grenade going off gets to resist the chemical inside with just his normal Body Attribute.

The only problem with that is that it's still a frag grenade. I think a better option would be an entirely different design. I picture a golf ball, only the size of a tennis ball, and all of the dimples are actually tiny little barrels containing tiny poison tipped needles that are fired by a burst of compressed air. It'd be compact, have the option of being non lethal, and the only noise it'd make would be a loud POOF.

Writing that makes me think it should be called a poof ball.

And it should bounce.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 19 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Why is that a Problem?
It's not meant to be silent and all stealthy like.
It's designed to take care of a Problem.
If someone is STILL STANDING after having been hit by the Frag part, then the Chemicals should take care of the Rest.

But i like your idea too. But make it Golf-Ball-Sized. All Area Combat-Golfer is too awesome a character design idea to not use some time ^^

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.