Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bionic Contacts here we come..., Real life link on enhanced contact lenses
Raven Bloodeyes
post Feb 27 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,540

A guy in an online game I'm in found this, thought people here would appreciate it:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=6653023

This post has been edited by Redjack: Feb 27 2008, 07:59 PM
Reason for edit: Flagged as RL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Haxx
post Feb 27 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 15,401

That is too freak'n cool.

Sign me up.

+Quote Post
Blodgett
post Feb 27 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 15,663

I remember seeing an article about those. Now if they only came in permanent versions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 27 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

Im not quite sure how that would work, first of all, how would you keep them from dry up? or if you don't use a water based lense (most lenses are like 96% water), It wouldnt be very gentle on your eye, not only are they hard to put in/get out, but also many eyes will naturally reject foreign tissue. If you on the other hand use water based contacts (like I do) how the hell would you mesh that with all the electronics, when not constantly rehydralized by the eye the contact must be stored in a mild anti-septic to keep clean and avoid it from drying up. Last time I checked water and electricity didnt quite stack and i put my bet that you are as likely as end up with fried eyes as working hypercontacts

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 27 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Imagine a tiny plastic bag... (it looked like the prototype was being kept in a liquid, so this one has probably already been tackled)

I did notice they commented about needing a wireless power transfer, a while back, there was an article linked to dumpshock about military light amplification contacts and for those the plan was to have a tiny amount of rare earth magnet stuck on the inside of the person's eyelid so that each blink charged the lense. Not sure if that could be used, or if there are unresolved concerns about having a bit of NdFeB on the inside of an eyelid.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 27 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Feb 27 2008, 11:39 AM) *
Imagine a tiny plastic bag... (it looked like the prototype was being kept in a liquid, so this one has probably already been tackled)

I did notice they commented about needing a wireless power transfer, a while back, there was an article linked to dumpshock about military light amplification contacts and for those the plan was to have a tiny amount of rare earth magnet stuck on the inside of the person's eyelid so that each blink charged the lense. Not sure if that could be used, or if there are unresolved concerns about having a bit of NdFeB on the inside of an eyelid.

"It seems however that fate, is not without irony a general human generates *technobabble* and *technobabble* of body heat, combined with a form of fusion they had all the energy they ever needed, what is the matrix? the matrix is control, in order to change a human being into this *holds up duracell battery*"

well it's long shot, but i always figured cyberware or similar things would take all the electricity it needed from the natural electricity generated in a human body.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 27 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #7

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Blodgett @ Feb 27 2008, 10:20 AM) *
I remember seeing an article about those. Now if they only came in permanent versions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

Hmmm, I seem to recall that one of the problems with laser eye surgery is that there is a finite number of times it can be done, which is a problem if you have a slowly changing prescription. You can only blast away at the lens so many times before you run out of material to re-shape. One of the solutions they were playing around with for a while was implanting more-or-less standard contact lenses into the lens of the eye. It still required eye surgery, but since it only needed an incision on the side of the lens, if the person's prescription changed it could be opened and the lens could be replaced, an arbitrary number of times. But if the person's prescription didn't change, the lens could be left in indefinitely, since it was completely within the lens it never got dry or dirty. I think the procedure never really caught on because laser surgery got too quick and easy, but it's there's definitely a potential application here.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.