> Glitch Challenge IV, The Voyage Home
Aaron
post Feb 27 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Here's one in honor of Arsenal.

Assume that you are GMing a game. One of your players is modifying her Savalette Guardian, adding a Full-Auto mode. She glitches during her Armorer + Logic Extended Test. The result of the glitch is your call: what is it?

Again, I can't think of anything to offer as a prize that anybody would want, so this is a challenge. Come up with your best and and post it. Alternatively (or additionally), if you see one you like, don't skimp on the praise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jago668
post Feb 27 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,212

Only fires full bursts, and it takes the entire 12c to get the normal benefits.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Feb 27 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #3

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Since it was just a glitch, the gun should still work just not as well as intended. I might do something reasonably simple like rule it can't do full bursts, but it can perform long bursts. Simple, doesn't require too much more than a note and, I'd probably let the character have a reduced threshold (probably by 1) the next time she tries to modify the a Savalette for full auto since she know one failure point to avoid.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Feb 27 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

Everything works fine but the possibility of the gun jamming is secretly increased (gremlins 1 or 2, with that gun, until noticed and fixed)

Alternatively, some minor piece is needed and so the character suffers a temporary setback (+50% time maybe) or some extra costs (maybe a 20-50%)

But you are holding off, where are the critical glitch challenges you promised? Some people here are waiting to let loose the most horrible parts of out imaginations. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers!

Max

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Feb 27 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

I generally try to keep regular glitches in the realm of "unexpected wtf" but not really detrimental. Ideas:

-Gun is modified, but the character loses a tool (say, a screwdriver) associated with modding pistols.
-Character messed up one of the smartlink connections - every now and again the gun fills her mouth with the taste of bananas. Can be distracting, but essentially harmless.
-Chip or bend the slide a very minor amount. The gun's cycling noise now has a distinctive 'ting' sound.
-Grips are somewhat loose. No game effect, but totally annoying.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Feb 27 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

The character slips with his micro laser-cutter, and accidentally etches the outside a bit right over the logo.

"Umm... are you armed with a ... does that say Salivating Gardenia?"

I also like loosing a tool or needing a part. Both of those explain the lost hits that are generated by a glitch.

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Feb 28 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

The gun explodes killing everyone in a five mile radius. The nuclear fallout is tremendous and any shadowrunner who was not in that five mile radius turns into a ghoul for no apparent raisin.

Oh and also it creates a tear in the fabric of the universe that allows dragons to roam the earth killing all who oppose them.

+Quote Post
jago668
post Feb 28 2008, 03:57 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

QUOTE (masterofm @ Feb 27 2008, 08:24 PM) *
The gun explodes killing everyone in a five mile radius. The nuclear fallout is tremendous and any shadowrunner who was not in that five mile radius turns into a ghoul for no apparent raisin.

Oh and also it creates a tear in the fabric of the universe that allows dragons to roam the earth killing all who oppose them.

Looks like someone glitched their spelling test also. =)

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Feb 28 2008, 01:34 PM
Post #9

Technomancer

Nah, that's a glitch Logic + Game Mastering roll (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Feb 28 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

QUOTE (jago668 @ Feb 27 2008, 10:57 PM) *
Looks like someone glitched their spelling test also. =)

I thought it was a Futurama reference, actually.

Or a critical glitch on a sanity check.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 28 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

We're filing down the sear; we're filing down the sear; hi-ho the merry-oh; we're filing down the sear - in the wrong spot The weapon can no longer be fired in semi-automatic mode.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Feb 28 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #12

Technomancer

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 28 2008, 01:21 PM) *
The weapon can no longer be fired in semi-automatic mode.

Good one. I like this.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Feb 28 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #13

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

I like the outcomes where the gun does do what is intended, after all the end result is still a successful roll? But the glitch indicates something annoying happening during the process. So anything where it was difficult to make, took longer, caused lost equipment or time is good. If it functions, but with an annoying piece of fluff, that's good too. I don't like the glitches that result in additional tracking of modifications in die pools, that's just extra work and die rolls.

Though... how about the gun works great on full auto, but you now require non standard ammo calibers? (Broke my own rules!)

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Feb 28 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

Futurama anyone?

"I the big brain am winning again, and now I will leave earth for no apparent raisin" instead of reason and yes it's not tough to spell check.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Feb 28 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

-) The gun performs as expected....but jams the next time it's used, siezing up & becoming a very expensive paper-weight.
-) The gun locks up & must be disassembeld by an Armorer with at least 3 Skill points greater than the person who attempted the modification ("You tried to do WHAT?!")
-) The gun performs as expected....but overheats 2x faster than normal. Not only locking up the gun, but running the possibility of burning the user and causing the ammo to spontaneously explode in the clip.
-) The gun goes off while modifying it. Enjoy the spray, folks.
-) The mod works, but the gun is literally held together with duct/gaffer tape. BRIGHT ORANGE gaffer tape.
-) The attempt fails. Congrats, it's a pile of expensive junk.
-) The attempt fails, but the gun can still be resold (at 1/4th the original price)
-) The gun is fine, everything seem to be working....but in the middle of the next firefight, the gun falls apart (as if someone just removed the linchpin) right in the user's hands. Every piece NOISILLY hits the ground (all that pinging just doesn't help).

+Quote Post
suppenhuhn
post Mar 1 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,682

I'd let it work properly but roll for bad luck if the shooter tries using edge firing that gun or alternatively let it have gremlins 1, its no critical glitch afterall.
alternatively she could have destroyed a component which would up the threshold a bit and maybe cost her some extra nuyen to get a spare.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.