IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astral Perception, Enter the Realm of Dreams
Is Astral perception caused by completely relaxing or concentrating really hard?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 31
Guests cannot vote 
Stahlseele
post Feb 27 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #1

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

it's no question about the rules wise aspect, just somthing i thought up while at work and my brain decided to take a little time-out.
How is Astral perception/travel accomplished? either by sheer willpower and determination through a good bit of concentration or by meditating and relaxing?
If it's accomplished by relaxing . . what happens if the mages go to sleep? O.o there's not many states you can be in that are as relaxed as sleeping is i would think . . so would a mage suddenly go astral sleepwalking? would an adept not really dream because he's merely astrally percieving(Spelling check? that does not look right to me somehow) while his meat body is relaxing and resting?
If it's done by concentrating . . imagine you really concentrating on something really hard because you wanna accomplish something important to you . . or going to the loo . . do you suddenly shift on the astral plane? o.O
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 27 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,845

I can't vote because I think it is a matter of both.

I see Astral Perception at least as a kind of switch. It's something that you may stumble upon unconsciously at first, but can discipline and learn how to consciously use it. Perception is kind of the same way. Some people have the unconscious ability to use it, and how they discover it is completely case to case.

Saying that sleeping is the same as meditation is also somewhat wrong. Meditation is much like self hypnosis, in that it helps reduce the conscious thought and bring out the unconscious. Sleeping is somewhat like this, except that you usually have no control over it. Projection could originally happen as a lucid dream though. I think magic is not completely set and stone, and each person comes to it a different (though similar) way.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 27 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Yep ... concentrate hard to relax ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 28 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Hey! If you've ever tried, some forms of meditation it's exactly like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
ish

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 28 2008, 02:07 AM
Post #5

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...wouldn't know, never really played a character who ever did it.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Feb 28 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Well the answer is clearly yes.

Magic in Shadowrun is what you think it is. And if someone else thinks it's something else that logically would be mutually exclusive, well, you're both right. In the Secrets of Power trilogy the main character falls hits his head and wakes up astrally projecting, or some such. There's a description in a book of a master and an apprentice that described it in terms of meditation/concentration. Like traditions, everyone is right even when someone else who is right thinks they are wrong...

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 28 2008, 05:59 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Magic is funky.

But yeah, i just looked it up and it's pretty clear that, traditionally, astral perception is a conscious action that requires some amount of focus. Stunning a mage to a drooling mage is still a good way from keeping him magically quiet.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 28 2008, 06:53 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i can't vote because i think it's a matter of c) any of the above. some characters relax, some characters concentrate, some characters concentrate to relax, some characters relax to concentrate, some characters chug cough medicine and smear themselves in honey. probably not many characters do that last one, but you never know.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 28 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

ok, yes, i forgot about that third option and the magic being formed by belief thingie . . fixed that now ^^

+Quote Post
JBlades
post Feb 28 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,734

I think it's be more of a zazen 'no mind' state, a focus on nothing. So not really a relaxation or a concentration, but rather like the blank mind you get when you're competing in athletics of some kind and you drop into 'the zone', y'know? So I voted "neither/all of the above".

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 28 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (mfb @ Feb 28 2008, 01:53 AM) *
some characters chug cough medicine and smear themselves in honey. probably not many characters do that last one, but you never know.

Never forget the Winnie the Pooh toxic mentor spirit!

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Feb 28 2008, 05:55 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Just because I can...

10 mages

13 different answers.

'nuff said.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 28 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #13

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I recall an exchange in Shadowtech, under the pharmaceutical section, along the lines of: "Zen is how I get my mojo," and the reply, "There's some question in magical circles to whether narcotics are actually required for magic." The implication being that everyone had assumed you needed to pass a peace-pipe to hit the zone until the mid-50s or so... But I like the idea that you'd need some kind of catalyst to transition between meat and astral, some trick to pull yourself completely in. Whether sniffing salts, deep meditation, or asking your ancestors to open the gates to the ghostworld.

+Quote Post
sungun
post Feb 29 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 8,230

my first reaction was to say that it took concentration because you can only maintain it for so long. but then again, a person only sleeps for a a certain number of hours before naturally waking up.

i'd feel like the transition into perception or projection takes atleast a moment of focus. metas aren't dual natured in their sort of 'natural' state. evidence being that if you knock them out, they drop out of the astral.

+Quote Post
Whitelaughter
post Feb 29 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 15,701

If one magician can hurl a spell by quoting the ten commandments, and another polishing the shinies they've stolen, and a third by flying high on drugs - each tradition is going to be different. Sure, zazen for an Adept, but not for a chaos mage.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.