IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who leads the party?, Who's the boss?
How is the team lead?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 95
Guests cannot vote 
bibliophile20
post Feb 28 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

In my old campaign, the team leader was the street sam/sniper, who had "won" the post via longevity and strength of personality; he had been playing in my campaign the longest and was the only player to stick with me the entire time. As such, his position of being the planner and leader in the beginning shifted to overall leadership after the other early players phased out and others joined up. The new players followed his plans and orders almost unquestioningly, except to make improvements, which were acknowledged and added. They did have a few arguments, but those were during planning stages, and out in the field, people listened to him. And I didn't see anyone try to usurp his position over the course of the campaign.

So, I've been wondering, given all of the tales of musical backstabbing that I've heard of runner teams, in most games in which you've played, who is the formal or informal team leader? Or is there even a team leader?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 28 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

My group doesn't really have a team leader. The gun bunny informally leads but that's mostly because he's the tactician and the guy with the most extensive contact list (we're still trying to find a face). The team is small (only 3 players right now) so they've never really had to vote on anything. So far we haven't had any backstabbing so... yeah, leadership musical chairs hasn't happened yet.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Feb 28 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #3

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

In most of the games that I've played in or GMed, there really hasn't been a leader. I tried to pick just "majority vote" but it wanted me to pick a leader too.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 28 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

1. nobody says no to the troll combat monster street sam and mundane gun-bunny with the strategic and tactical skills and the practical combat versatility if he has a body of 16, a strength of 15 and int of 4 *g*
2. We follow him who has the best plan . . mostly . .
3. if the best plan does lead to failure it's more or less instant WH40K Orks Playing style including screams of waagh and dakka dakka dakka while running for our characters *g*

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 28 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #5

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

My old group, the decker was clearly the leader, but ruled by majority vote.

The new group, the sam/doctor was always butting heads with the adept (one believed in minimizing loss of life and would actually stop to stabilize fallen guards, the other went out of his way to kill as many random people as possible, then blow everything up when he was done) and no one else cared to say anything. But now we brought in some new people and one of the mages is taking the lead, since she knows how to focus on the mission and leave how many people get killed to individual discretion.

+Quote Post
deek
post Feb 28 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

Mainly majority vote. I have been experimenting with making different character (through the use of various contacts) the "lead" of a mission...some of the players are pretty good at it, and others really suck and make a mess of missions (normally by not telling the group all the objectives or changing too many details they were given).

But, no matter who the lead, it still ends up being majority rules...

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Feb 28 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

This is one of those tricky things in which if the player's social and planning skills and the PC's social and planning skills are significantly different, friction may ensue.

In mundane life, I've held a lot of small-scale leadership roles, so it's hard for me to play a character who just follows like a sheep, and often my PC takes a leader or co-leader role regardless of character conception.

In Stormcrow's group, WeaverMount plays a mage, and that gives his character a great deal of say in how the team handles any situation involving magic, which has been a lot of our situations.

Some groups are OK with "Fine, you wanna go that way, good luck; I'm going this way no matter what you say or do." Other groups work hard to avoid that. It requires the GM to figure out the consequences for each, and requires each player to wait while the GM resolves what happens to the other's PC. Consider R2-D2 and C-3PO splitting up after the escape pod landed on Tatooine; they met again later.

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Feb 29 2008, 02:18 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

I reckon parties can be sorted into 'proactive' action focused groups, and reactive parties who don't do the same level of pre-emptive action, instead responding to the situation. On the other axis you have planning/unstructured groups.

Me DMing: A tactican with an introvert personality, a guy who always played wizards no matter what the system, game, concept, or anything else was, an extroverted madman, and a moron who played huge tanks no matter what the system, game, concept, or anything else was.

Plans were often difficult to come by as the wizard guy was also a backstabber, and the moron was slightly mad, and they'd pull in opposite directions, and the only guy with a good idea (the tactican) was not the sort to shout over the rucus, so hilarity ensued. They were very proative but 4 guys pulled in 9 directions all at once. High on activity, low on structure

Me playing: Me, the previous introverted tactican, and another guy, who was sort of middle of road on all mad personality types - I called the shots, though we never really overode each other (mostly). We are/were 3 like minded blokes, so we almost always came up with one or two plans by putting our heads together, then called between them. High activity and structure (which caused problems with the DM, who was not prepared for that sort of extreme tactical behaviour, despite using a battlemap and models?)

Me dming again: A tactican with an introvert personality, A roleplayer with an introvert personality and a poor grasp of tactics, and an the aforsaid middle of the road guy. While the previous group through alike, despite featuring 2 of the same 3 people, this group had internal friction with all parties disagreeing and rarely developed a solid plan before the situation came to a head. Very reactive. Low activity and moderate structure

+Quote Post
Phantastik
post Feb 29 2008, 03:28 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 15,495

In my games I tend to be "leader" regardless of character archetype because, well, I'm bossy and loud >.>

At least that's what I'm "jokingly" told by my home game group, ahem.

In general though, I do find "team leader" is almost always a function of player rather than character. At Cons where I've GMed at had the opportunity to see various kinds of table mixes, I find that if there is a "charismatic" player he tends to evolve as the team leader, and lacking such a personality it tends to be more democratic, or possibly (rarely) come down to roleplaying.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Feb 29 2008, 06:52 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

I do generally, because I have no problem with telling others what to do. In the RL group I play in no matter what system the others look to me for the plans and go along with what I say. Online it's basically between me and one other person as the leader.

*Raises an iron fist*

+Quote Post
Critias
post Feb 29 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

My old street sam often found himself playing the role of leader, partially because he had good ideas (and was willing to assign himself more risk than anyone else), and partially because he was just really bad at being told what to do by anyone else.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 29 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #12

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

It is missing a "whatever XYZ is playing" as an option. The most active char can fancy himself a leader; if you´ve got multiples of those, and they don´t have a democratic process going, have fun. Plan easy runs, they will manage to mess up those, too.

So I can not really vote on the second part, either. Most time one player takes initiative, and the other chars follow his char. Sometimes multiple players are making up a plan, and the whole group is lead by democratic process. On other occasions, there is no organised decision making, several I´s in team, and the multiple plans executed at the same time ensure failure. Lets call in anarchy...

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Feb 29 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

I do not know what to say. Our shaman is the face.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 1 2008, 03:47 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Our leader is usually whoever the Hand of Responsibility ends up with. (For reference, the HoR is a Halloween prop severed hand given to the character/player that is "the responsible one." The implication is that it came from the previous owner of responsibility) The result ends up being interesting at the least, and most players don't *want* to end up the responsible one.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Mar 1 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 29 2008, 12:20 PM) *
I do not know what to say. Our shaman is the face.

I lead because I am the face. I just happen to also be a shaman.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Mar 1 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

it's not letting me vote, saying I didn't mark a spot, but I have been.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 1 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Mar 2 2008, 04:15 AM) *
it's not letting me vote, saying I didn't mark a spot, but I have been.

There are two sections. Did you vote in both?

+Quote Post
fool
post Mar 1 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

I lead of course

+Quote Post
ShadowcatX
post Mar 1 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 15,187

My group doesn't really have a true leader, they generally try and get the street sam. to "lead" simply because he's a smarter player than the rest of them but he doesn't want to hog the spot light so they've really been doing a whole "who ever gets the call (ie. if it's a special contact, that person, otherwise, dice roll) is leader" this time.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 1 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I don't often have a designated "team leader" so much as cooperative effort. One player usually takes the initiative to make suggestions and the party shambles along.

Typically, each player has strengths or weaknesses and we lend weight to their opinions accordingly.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Mar 2 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #21

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Mar 1 2008, 04:47 AM) *
Our leader is usually whoever the Hand of Responsibility ends up with. (For reference, the HoR is a Halloween prop severed hand given to the character/player that is "the responsible one." The implication is that it came from the previous owner of responsibility) The result ends up being interesting at the least, and most players don't *want* to end up the responsible one.

That has to be one of the greatest ideas I´ve heard off lately. My players will hate you...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 2 2008, 01:03 AM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

i would allways have that hand . . even if i am playing charisma, int and will on 1 . . even if it's not a troll for a change . . deckers and mages with int 7, elves with charisma 8, dwarves with will 8 . . somehow, they all listen to the can-troggy . . if he's played by me <.< . .

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Mar 2 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Tony Danza.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 2 2008, 01:20 AM
Post #24

The ShadowComedian

*sigh*
i guess someone had to do it O.o
hrm . . about that idea with the hand . . maybe that's given me an idea for a character concept or at least a gimmick . .
The Red Right Hand

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 2 2008, 02:12 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Methinks someone reads Comedity

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.