Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HUD / Headset computers
mfb
post Dec 3 2003, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,670

what's the difference between a HUD and a headset computer? besides the price, i mean.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Dec 3 2003, 10:59 AM
Post #2

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

A Heads-Up-Display is a display device that shows information on a something transparent in front of the user. For example, Speedometer and Tachometer information can be put onto the windshield of a race car. Infrared detection of deer in the road at night can result in the image of a deer being placed at the right spot on the windshield for the driver to brake in time.

In shadowrun, we commonly think of a heads-up-display being built into an armored helmet, and capable of showing city maps, terrain maps, locations of friends, etc.

A headset computer is lightweight computer that can be worn. One would either use a heads-up-display for output, or a tiny display device worn like glasses.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 4 2003, 08:54 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the HUD is a computer, in SR. which is why i'm confused--why shell out the big bucks for a computer that displays info in your field of vision (HUD), when you can pay much less for a computer that displays info in your field of vision (headset)?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Dec 4 2003, 10:27 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

I think because you can see the outside world with the HUD on, while you can't with the headset computer?

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Dec 4 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

I'd interpret the HUD as an accessory to an armored helmet, while a headset is a standalone device. Given the low concealment ratings for the headset, I'd also say it is probably bulky enough to make it uncomfortable (if not impossible) to wear under a helmet. There's no canon to back that up, however.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 4 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

HUDs are, based upon my reading of the context of what they are on SR3 page 288, miniaturized headset computers built into something small and inconspicious such as a monocle or a pair of glasses. A headset computer is way more obvious, and usually built into something where you don't care if everyone knows you have a HUD available, such as a helmet's visor. It comes complete with a single port on the side and screams "I am a computer, behold my magnifence," while the meat and potatoes of the HUD can probably be tossed into a pocket and uses a wireless connection to access the display.

Note that a headset has a Concealability rating, while a HUD has absolutely none... not because it's obvious, but because it's impossible to tell if there is one on a visual inspection alone.

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Dec 4 2003, 01:43 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 4 2003, 08:56 AM)
HUDs are, based upon my reading of the context of what they are on SR3 page 288, miniaturized headset computers built into something small and inconspicious such as a monocle or a pair of glasses.  A headset computer is way more obvious, and usually built into something where you don't care if everyone knows you have a HUD available, such as a helmet's visor.  It comes complete with a single port on the side and screams "I am a computer, behold my magnifence," while the meat and potatoes of the HUD can probably be tossed into a pocket and uses a wireless connection to access the display.

Note that a headset has a Concealability rating, while a HUD has absolutely none... not because it's obvious, but because it's impossible to tell if there is one on a visual inspection alone.

You're definitions are mixed up. According to the book, a headset can be built into a pair of glasses. A HUD projects onto a surface (like a helmet visor) in front of the user. At least, according to the book.

[edit]
Nope. Now that I have the book in front of me, I see that you' had the definitions correct. Sorry.
[/edit]

As for Concealability=n/a, I think this really just means that, as an accessory to a helmet, the HUD uses the helmet's Con rating, rather than having its own. If they meant it to be near impossible to detect by itself, they'd have given it a Con of 12+.

Again, no canon to back it up - just my thoughts.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 4 2003, 02:17 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I'll weigh in with my two bits:

A headset computer looks like you're wearing a computer or, in 2060, a Walkman radio of some sort. The headset will probably have some sort of display ability, either through a datajack or a HUD.

A HUD (Heads Up Display) is an accessory for displaying information in the user's field of vision. Basically it's like the Retinal Display and/or Image Link cyberware, or even a computer monitor that you can wear. In canon, it can be integrated into helmet visors and I believe sunglasses.

Personally, I'd rule that a headset computer cannot be worn under a helmet simply because a helmet by it's nature must sit close and snug to the head to be of any value which wouldn't allow for much of anything else underneath it.

-Siege

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.