Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help with Rigging / Cyber combat
ShadowcatX
post Mar 1 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,187

Okay, I'm somewhat lost on the cyber combat issue and the rigging issue. I've tried reading through the chapter several times and each time I get turned around so I figured since I have a game tonight I would ask for help here. I appologize for the open endedness of the questions here.

Q1) If a hacker wants to hack someone's com link and change the smart link to recognize them as a friend is that possible? Seems like I've heard it somewhere but I don't know where and I can't find it. If so what would the rolls be? I assume it'd be hacking on the fly, (logic + hacking?) against firewall then an edit action? I had a technomancer do this (as a dramatic thing) to a pc last game, and now the pc wants to learn to do it.

We're trying to avoid "cybercombat" as much as possible, but basic hacking doesn't require that does it?

Q2) What are the basic rolls for rigging? (ie. perception, shooting, etc.) Hot sim and any other typical equipment for a decent starting out rigger. What are the drone's rolls while not being rigged?

Q3) Can a person with a com link and a control rig implant (and pretty much nothing else) employ the electronic countermeasure skill to over come a jammer that's keeping them from getting through to their drones?

Q4) Is the cost on page 237 the cost for rasing a drone's pilot? Are the costs cumulative?

Q5) Any quick tips for hacking / rigging (ie. special things I should know about but haven't asked about)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 1 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #2

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

A1) Certainly is. Hence a Rigger worth their money should have a custom-built 6/6 link with an equally custom-built 6/6 OS and a firewall 6. No hacker save a three-digit-karma hacker adept has any realistic hopes of hacking that. Also, have a level 6 analyse running constantly and some agents/ice with combat programs around, just in case someone does. The ice will stall them for long enough to allow the rigger to reset the link, kicking out the attacker. Layering commlinks - having one implanted link you run all your programs on for haching, but routing all communication through a bott.leneck link that then connects to the matrix (and is iced and firewalled as best as possible) also is a good idea. Personally, I prefer a three-layer system: The first layer is a maxed-stats link woven into armour clothing (camo paint), which acts as both bottleneck and a link to sacrifice when infiltrated (ie reset it). Then an implanted link you can use as an auxiliary broadcasting commlink (implanted, but not routed to any other implants save for commlink 2), and as a bottleneck when you cannot wear any armour. finally, the core commlink all the programs run on and data is stored on, that connects cyberware and doe all kinds of commlinky stuff.

Additionally, I prefer a number of lesser-rated (3) commlinks for my character's SINs. Throwaway 'links with nothing valuable whatsoevr on them and empty to bare profiles. I don't see much sense in broadcasting my characters' interests to the entire game world. but that may be just me.

But yes. If the person is dumb enough not to have a Firewall 6 on at least a system 3 link, and someone hacks it, you can switch the smartlinked weapon so that it recognises you as a legit user (and DOESN'T recognise the legit user as such!). That's a moderate thing to do though, you can then do all sorts of fun things with that poor guy, like download an 'intense pain' Beetle into his 'link. of course, he can always reset it and kick you out.

A2) Perception: same as in the flesh, basically. Drone Sensors can be used to even out mali because of bad visual conditions. Shooting: Rea + gunnery skill.

Typical equipment would be a decent modded van, with some drone racks, 2 combat drones (air), 2 combat drones (cround), 5 micro scout flyers, 1 larger scout drone. All with cameleon camo paint on them and maxed-out Pilot and firewall ratings, as well as constantly running IC with analyse software at maximum rating, that will cascade five other combat IC as soon as anny enemy attempts to fiddle with the drone. decent en/decrypt software helps, too, naturally.

A3) Yes. Roll is System + ECCM Software level.

A4) Uhm, Pilot = System, so ... yes, should be it. I'm using the German rules book though, so I can't really ay anything about an english rulebook's page 237 because I don't know what's on it.

A5) see my above mentioned commlink/system/pilot optimisation tips. It's important you choose ratings as high as possible in chargen, unless you really like being hacked. It costs next to nothing, anyway.

Also, get yourself Arsenal. The vehicle rules in there make me sad, but they're the best you'r egonna get for 4th edition.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Mar 2 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE (ShadowcatX @ Mar 1 2008, 04:01 PM) *
Q1) If a hacker wants to hack someone's com link and change the smart link to recognize them as a friend is that possible? Seems like I've heard it somewhere but I don't know where and I can't find it. If so what would the rolls be? I assume it'd be hacking on the fly, (logic + hacking?) against firewall then an edit action? I had a technomancer do this (as a dramatic thing) to a pc last game, and now the pc wants to learn to do it.

Locate node
hack node
Perception test against persona to get Access ID if the gm didnt just hand it to you
Subdue IC/persona if any if spotted
Spoof commands to smartlink IF they are even available (IE the gun is skinned and sending commands to the eyes or a datajack that is also skinned without going through a commlink)

"We're trying to avoid "cybercombat" as much as possible, but basic hacking doesn't require that does it?" Why?

Q2) What are the basic rolls for rigging? (ie. perception, shooting, etc.) Hot sim and any other typical equipment for a decent starting out rigger. What are the drone's rolls while not being rigged?

Here are jumped in rigger rolls according to the FAQ @ shadowrun4.com. You should also check out pg162 of the sr4 book which covers locking onto targets while riggers are jumped in to improve their gunnery test.
[ Spoiler ]

A rigger definately wants a control rig + hot sim so they get +4 while jumped in. maxed out commlink with killer programs and atleast 1 agent.

Looks like sensor+clearsoft for perception, for everything else it looks like Pilot + autosoft program(defense, manuever, weapon skill).

Q3) Can a person with a com link and a control rig implant (and pretty much nothing else) employ the electronic countermeasure skill to over come a jammer that's keeping them from getting through to their drones?

Not by default. If you want to continue to function while being jammed you have to have a high signal and a high eccw program. A control rig wont help anything.

Q4) Is the cost on page 237 the cost for rasing a drone's pilot? Are the costs cumulative?

237?? you mean pg228?? Rating 1-3 = Rating x 1000, Rating 4-6 = Rating x 2500. Availability Rating x3. Firewalls have no availability and a Rating 6 = 3000. The other physical stats for a drone are one pg240

Q5) Any quick tips for hacking / rigging (ie. special things I should know about but haven't asked about)

Here is my cheat sheet for the matrix. Dont know if it will help you...
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Mar 2 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

Uhh what version of shadowrun are we talking about ? hehe

+Quote Post
Earlydawn
post Mar 2 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,766

Supposedly, Unwired will have more explanation and options as far as what you can do when you hack into a character's PAN, but in the meantime, it's mostly GM discretion, using a roll that makes sense. Here are some options off the top of my head:
  • Hacking a smartlink to change friendlies to enemies, hostiles to friendlies, or eject a fresh clip in the middle of a shootout.
  • Hack an enemy comlink and intercept their communications.
  • Redline enemy networked implants - see Augmentation.
  • My personal favorite - With the proper software, training, or both, hack into a contact's implanted biomonitor and use it as an impromptu Polygraph. Additional dice to a Sense Motives roll.

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Mar 2 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

Getting wireless access to someone's comlink does not necessarily give you access to their smartlink. They could have the smartlink hardwired to their goggles, or on a wireless PAN that does not have the comlink as a subscriber. It's also possible that their smartlink does not have a function that blocks firing when a known friend is in the sights; that may be a common function but it's not universal, some would turn it off. (Definitely turn it off on a Shedim hunt, since friendlies may become zombies.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.