IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A couple Adept powers I have thought of pitching at my GM.., Sometimes, it seems Adepts get the most blantant things overlooked..
Cardul
post Mar 2 2008, 04:17 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,006

You know, I have always thought there were things lacking from adepts, and realized what one of those was:

There is no power that allows an adept to shoot something out of the air, or use a thrown weapon to knock another out of the air.(I know there is one for CATCHING, but not one for not catching).

So, my thought:
Ranged Deflection .5/level
Pre-requisites: Missile Parry 1+, Improved Reflexes 1+
You may deflect slow moving projectiles, effectively stopping them them. To do this, you roll your Magic+Ranged Deflection rating as an interrupt defense action. This may also be declared with a Full Defense, and use Magic+reaction+Ranged Deflection Rating. With slow moving, and only slow moving, projectiles, the successes reduce the net hits.

Enhanced Ranged Deflection, 1 point:
Pre-requisite: Ranged Deflection.
With this, a physical adept may attempt to shoot a bullet out of the air. This allows you to only shoot down ones fire from single shot and sem-auto weapons, and does not include flechette rounds, and to use it against a heavy weapon, must be using a similar weapon(rockets to shoot down rockets, grenade laucnher to shoot down a leanched grenade, assault cannont to shoot down an assault cannon shell). You use the same pools as above, however, this is an all or nothing defense. If you do not score more or equal to the firer's net hits, the round will still hit at its full original net hits.

One other power that I thought would make sense for the mysical gunslinger..

Fast Load: .5 power Points
Reduce the action type to load a weapon by one step. Thus, it becomes a free action to put a clip into an automatic, or reload a revolver with a speed loader, and a simple action to relead rounds into an internal magazine or one muzzle tube on a muzzle loader.

So..does anyone think these are OK? Overpowered? Underpowered? What would you adjust to them?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 2 2008, 05:07 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The first one doesn't seem unbalanced or unreasonable to me. The only change that I would make would be to add that a ranged combat skill is needed to use this power, and the adept will use the lower of either the ranged combat skill or the Ranged Deflection rating.

Enhanced Ranged Deflection doesn't seem plausible to me, sorry. I don't see anyone shooting a hypersonic projectile out of the way. The only way anyone can even dodge a bullet is by getting out of the path of the barrel of the gun before it is fired, not by dodging the actual bullet in flight. Yeah, you could say that the adept is doing the same thing, tracking the barrel of the gun, but then why not simply fire right up the barrel of that gun? Or any other kind of trick shot? Why would the adept be able to perform a virtually impossible feat of marksmanship against a fast-moving bullet, but not be any more accurate for any other kind of shot? I will say, though, that it doesn't seem unbalanced or overly powerful to me, just implausible.

Fast Load is fine, although anyone using clips would be better served by the Nimble Fingers power.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 2 2008, 05:49 AM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Drop the Magic Rating roll. Adepts rarely have to roll Magic Rating and they don't for missile parry. Just have the power add its rating to ranged dodge tests, like missile parry. Its simpler. Also, halve the cost because it is less effective than Combat Sense.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Mar 2 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

Well I would change magic+ deflection to Agility + Deflection(a skill of its own). For the advanced one I'd only let you use ss/sa weapons but you only get to roll enhanced ranged dice to try and counter it.

For the other thing.. Street Magic pg179 Nimble Fingers. insert/removing clips = free action. Among other things.

+Quote Post
Kingmaker
post Mar 2 2008, 06:42 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 11,924

What you really need is an adept power that lets you deflect thrown objects in implausible or impossible ways.
Troll just thrown a motorcycle at you? Deflect it by spitting a toothpick at it.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Mar 2 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Admittedly I was thinking of that scene from the Shadow, where The Shadow and the Bad Guy shot each others bullets out of the air, and a remember another where two guys where shooting their guns, both always hitting the other's bullets. That srt of thing is something one could immagine in shadowrun. Noting that I thought about the nt being able to shoot down hyper-sonic things, but also thought that since you would be having to use a comprable weapon..and the fact that you could not be aiming at the bullet, etc after it left the barrel, anyway..you would have to basicly be doing a mystical calculation of intercept point and using that. And since, after the core books come out, there won't be anymore goodies due to the nt wanting things scattered over a dozen books...there will be no more new magics released officially (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 2 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Cardul @ Mar 2 2008, 09:35 PM) *
Admittedly I was thinking of that scene from the Shadow, where The Shadow and the Bad Guy shot each others bullets out of the air, and a remember another where two guys where shooting their guns, both always hitting the other's bullets.

This also happens in Gabriel.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 2 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

and at least once in the anime series of Hellsing and probably in some other series/movies too O.o

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 2 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i would make ranged deflection a single-level power that costs 1pp, and have it use magic + thrown weapons skill. otherwise, you could have a guy with Incompetence: Thrown Weapons picking up this power. he can't hit the broad side of a barn with a throwing knife, but he can hit an arrow flying at his face? on the flip side, if i've built an adept with huge throwing skill, i'm gonna be pretty disappointed if i can't use that skill in conjunction with this power. thrown weapon skill should definitely factor in.

+Quote Post
jago668
post Mar 2 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

QUOTE (Cardul @ Mar 2 2008, 12:17 AM) *
Fast Load: .5 power Points
Reduce the action type to load a weapon by one step. Thus, it becomes a free action to put a clip into an automatic, or reload a revolver with a speed loader, and a simple action to relead rounds into an internal magazine or one muzzle tube on a muzzle loader.

There is already nimble fingers that does the insert clip. Not much of a stretch to apply it to speed loaders. I would just use that power instead, and if you felt it was overpowered to extend it out to other stuff like loading an internal magazine or inserting rounds manually into a cylinder. Then just make it a multiple level power. At the normal 0.25 you get the normal benefits plus speed loaders. At 0.5 you can simple action the other reloads. Then possibly a third level at 0.75 that free actions all reloads. If you want to go super crazy, then 1.0 allows either no action reloads or an extra free action per round just usable for reloads.

Since it does apply to other stuff like use simple object, etc. You could toss in somewhere it lowers other stuff also, like maybe use complex object goes to a simple action at 0.5 or 0.75. Each level could also give another +1 dice pool modifier like the normal level.

No need to invent an entirely new power when there is an existing one that can be used to fill the same task.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 2 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Just so I'm clear on it, you're knocking an arrow out of the air at range, right? So say ArcherBoy shoots Dudar01, you toss a knife or whatever at it to knock it away. Is that basically the gist? Or is it just as the arrow strikes you, you knock it away instead of catching it?

If it's the latter, that's already covered in Missile Parry, you just choose not to close your hand and bat the item away instead. If it's the former, I'd actually use Missile Mastery as a prerequisite instead of parry. My reasoning is that you're trying to hit something that's relatively fast moving and not coming at you directly, so you need to throw precisely to deflect it.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Mar 3 2008, 06:39 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Mar 2 2008, 07:40 PM) *
Just so I'm clear on it, you're knocking an arrow out of the air at range, right? So say ArcherBoy shoots Dudar01, you toss a knife or whatever at it to knock it away. Is that basically the gist? Or is it just as the arrow strikes you, you knock it away instead of catching it?

If it's the latter, that's already covered in Missile Parry, you just choose not to close your hand and bat the item away instead. If it's the former, I'd actually use Missile Mastery as a prerequisite instead of parry. My reasoning is that you're trying to hit something that's relatively fast moving and not coming at you directly, so you need to throw precisely to deflect it.

Yes, it is with the basic level of it, you are shooting the arrow out of the air, with maybe a pistol shot, maybe a thrown knife, maybe another arrow. The enhanced version is you are shooting the bullet in the air, shooting the missile out of the air, etc, most likely using a gun. I figure that, even if you shoot a heavy pistol round with a light pistol, there is enough kinetic transfer between the two to make the HP round just not reach you. The problem I see with some of the heavier rounds is more they are just alot more power, and larger shells. I do nt think you can stop a 20mm shell with a 9 mm round, but I do think you can stop a 20 mm shell with another 20 mm shell.

I can see adding Missile Mastery as a pre-requisite, though. Makes sense..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.