IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Natural Vision after Cyberware, You don't get to keep it do you?
Shadow
post Dec 3 2003, 07:16 PM
Post #1

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

Common sense would dictate that if you are an elf, and you have your eyes replaced with cyber eyes, and no mods, then you no longer have Low Light vision. But I have failed to find a relevant reference in canon to use. I find this a lot, people have there eyes replaced, yet they still claim there natural eye benefits. Does anyone know of any canon rules that apply?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 3 2003, 07:19 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 100

It was in canon print back in SR2 IIRC, but I don't know about SR3. Any GM with half a brain would say they loose natural stuff if they get a cyber replacement though.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Dec 3 2003, 07:21 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

Check the metahuman archetypes with cyberware in SR3. I think they have entries like "Cybereye (minus natural thermo vision)" for the dwarf decker, etc.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 3 2003, 07:21 PM
Post #4

Runner

Found it! Check out SR3, page 299.

If a metahuman has his or her eyes cybernetically replaced, he or she loses natural vision enhancements...

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Dec 3 2003, 07:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

But that's for full eye replacement. There's also retinal modification (enhancing the existing meat, instead of replacing it). Granted, with retinal mods, you don't get .5 essence worth of extra eye mods for 'free' (each retinal mod impacts essence independently), but other than that, they're essentially the same.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 3 2003, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

Retinal mods are just "adjustements", so they don't eliminate natural vision enhancement.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 3 2003, 07:57 PM
Post #7

Runner

Right.

Now here is another question...

Can mages still see on the astral if they have their eyes replaced with cyber eyes? I was told no back in the day and never bothered to verify it. So now, whenever I make a mage character, I just buy retinal mods, rather than eyes with mods in them. I'm also pretty cure that a mage has to have Optical Mag, rather than Electric Mag in order to cast using that, right?

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 3 2003, 07:58 PM
Post #8

Running Target

The optical thingy is right.

However, since cybereyes are paid with Essence are a part of the metahuman body, they still work on the Astral.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 3 2003, 08:00 PM
Post #9

Runner

So as long as you get Optical Mag put into the cybereye, you're ok? Sweet, I'll keep that in mind from now on. :)

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 3 2003, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Oh no, what sort of a monster have I created? :spin:

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 3 2003, 08:15 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

No, the mage can still have electronic magnification I'm pretty sure, because it's paid for with Essence and thus still a part of the mage's body.

~J

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 3 2003, 08:18 PM
Post #12

Runner

Boy, today was a good day to bring my book to work with me.

SR3, page 300, under Vision Magnification

...come in electronic and optical version (the latter are necessary for magicians with cybereyes).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 3 2003, 08:54 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Fair enough then.
I should start bringing my book around with me :)

~J

Quibble: but what about magicians without cybereyes, just retinal mods? /quibble

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 3 2003, 08:57 PM
Post #14

Running Target

I'd say optical only.

I mean, why would it be different?

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Dec 3 2003, 08:57 PM
Post #15

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Grey)
Boy, today was a good day to bring my book to work with me.

SR3, page 300, under Vision Magnification

...come in electronic and optical version (the latter are necessary for magicians with cybereyes).

Which technically is a big inconsistancy within the rules of SR3.

According to the magic rules, all cybernetic vision enhencements have been paid for with Essence and thus work with magic.
Now the rules on vision magnification demand for the optical in cybereyes, although the eyes are still paid for with Essence.
Can't be be due to the 0.5 of Essence free space in eyes, because otherwise IR or other cybernetic vision enhencements within that free space wouldn't work either.
And to make this even worse: The optical version is only needed within cybereyes, but when using retinal modifictaion we're back to "paid for with Essence" ...

Side note: Astral perception is not linked to physical sight. It's a psychic sense. Even physically blind magicians can still astrally perceive ...

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Dec 3 2003, 09:55 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

can you take ultrasound vision as a retinal mod?

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Dec 3 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #17

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

QUOTE (Cochise)

Which technically is a big inconsistancy within the rules of SR3.

According to the magic rules, all cybernetic vision enhencements have been paid for with Essence and thus work with magic.
Now the rules on vision magnification demand for the optical in cybereyes, although the eyes are still paid for with Essence.
Can't be be due to the 0.5 of Essence free space in eyes, because otherwise IR or other cybernetic vision enhencements within that free space wouldn't work either.
And to make this even worse: The optical version is only needed within cybereyes, but when using retinal modifictaion we're back to "paid for with Essence" ...

Side note: Astral perception is not linked to physical sight. It's a psychic sense. Even physically blind magicians can still astrally perceive ...

Actually no. From the beginning they have always said, mages can only cast spells on what they can physically see. Not through security cameras or any other type of electronically enhanced image. They have to use optical enhancements in order for the magic to work right. So if you just had electronic mag 3 installed it would work fine. But you would not be able to cast spells while using it. The image you got would not be "live".

Thanks for all those who applied, I just wanted to clarify it, and DSF'ers are the smartest people around!

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 3 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

The problem is that Cybereyes themselves are "artificial". They're not physically seeing the target, they're seeing what a mechanical device senses and transmits to their brain. Thus if the "paid for with Essence" argument holds up for that, it should hold up for other forms of vision enhancement that are paid for with Essence. Such as thermographic vision, ultrasound, and even microscopic vision. Yet for some reason, vision magnification doesn't work unless it's specifically "optical," even though none of those other options have to be so.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Dec 3 2003, 11:31 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Yes, it is somewhat inconsistent, but regardless it seems to imply that whatever was magically available from the original image is lost by piping it through the electronic magnification. Why there are doubble standards I don't know.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Dec 3 2003, 11:38 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

I've just always read it to be that while the optical magnification just make the image closer, thus easier to see, the electronic magnification produces a [/I]new[I] image, and is useless to mages because it keeps them from seeing the original image. In that case you have this set.

Regular eyes, optical mag retinal mod: Sure thing, real eyes seeing a real image.
Regular eyes, electronic mag retinal mod: No dice. The eyes see a false image.
Cybereyes, optical: Yes again, the image is there, percieved with "paid for" sight.
Cybereyes, electronic: Nope. The eyes and imaging have been payed for, but the image is still not really an image.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Dec 3 2003, 11:40 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

Strange that an image that is optically magnified then electronically processed and transmitted to the brain is somehow more "live" than an image that is electronic the whole way.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Dec 4 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #22

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
Regular eyes, optical mag retinal mod:  Sure thing, real eyes seeing a real image.

Paid with Essence ...

Regular eyes, electronic mag retinal mod:  No dice.  The eyes see a false image.

By the letter of the rules: Wrong, since you're talking retinal mod and not cyber(replacement)eyes. Again Paid for with Essence and not less "processed" than IR or Ultrasound (which work perfectly with spellcasting under the paid with Essence rule for cybernetic enhencements)
Cybereyes, optical:  Yes again, the image is there, percieved with "paid for" sight.

And the cybereye itself does not process the incoming picture? Oh I see, the eye has been paid for with Essence, right?

Cybereyes, electronic:  Nope.  The eyes and imaging have been payed for, but the image is still not really an image.

O.k. This time we have a processed picture that is processed by another electonic device (the eyes). The eye has been paid for with Essence and the retinal mod itself would work under the canon rules. Very strange ...

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 4 2003, 01:14 AM
Post #23

Runner

Cochise, while what you are saying makes since in the spirit of "paid for with essence", the book had a double standard that states you must have Optical Mag to cast spells through it. If you don't like it, house rule it, but by canon, it is clear that Electrical Mag doesn't work with spell casting.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 4 2003, 01:21 AM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

But as I nitpicked, it only specifically states that magnification in cybereyes needs to be optical. Nothing is stated about retinal modifications, in which case the paid-with-essence rule takes precedence.

~J

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 4 2003, 01:34 AM
Post #25

Runner

((duh, nevermind))

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.