> Turn to Goo, searchy not worky (well)
Slymoon
post Mar 3 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 862

SR1:
Turn to Goo, a party favorite there is nothing like scraping all the pieces parts from the poor individuals and hocking the loot. The ultimate in loot whoring!
Now I do not exactly recall the spell, nor do I have an SR1 book (I do have most everything else). So I don't know if the spell worked that way.

SR4:
Turn to Goo is back! That casting masses are overjoyed. So now on the GM side again, is there something that doesn't allow this to be a cash cow?

Does cyberware Turn to Goo also? Does it not?

em/ imagines 2070's cyberware version of the 'wake up in a bathtub full of ice missing your kidney' scenario.
hang out and run a night of Turn to Goo collecting wage slave datajacks and internal commlinks...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Mar 3 2008, 05:33 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

The 'goo' still has a hardness rating equal to the body of the target, which means you still have to cut it free with a knive in a very bloody fashion, which in the end doesn't change anything, if you want to have the cyberware from the other guy. Turn to goo won't make it easier to get the cyberware out.

+Quote Post
Slymoon
post Mar 3 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Ah hah!

Ok, I missed that in my understanding. I blame it on alot of reading...

It is goo in consistancy but the density of the goo is body. Righto!

+Quote Post
Chrome Tiger
post Mar 3 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #4

Shiny Metal Kitty Head

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 146

QUOTE (Slymoon @ Mar 3 2008, 12:50 PM) *
Ah hah!

Ok, I missed that in my understanding. I blame it on alot of reading...

It is goo in consistancy but the density of the goo is body. Righto!

I think the main factor to consider, though, is that a pile of goo with cyberware attached is going to be less likely to fight back while cutting out the goodies than a living, breathing body with cyberware attached

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 3 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Would be an interesting way of playing out a serial killer. Turn to go on target, remove cyberware, then release spell, unlucky fellow bleeds to death from missing ware and no external wounds present. Cops would have a field day figuring that out.

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Mar 3 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

IIRC the cyberware turns to goo aswell.

The reason is that since you have paid essence for the cyberware it is essential a part of your body, and it is your body that turns to goo.

I can't find a page reference for it though, but that is how I would play it.

Lars

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 3 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

I'm not at home, so I can't nab the reference from the book, but unless I'm misremembering, it only turns organic material to goo, so no metals/plastics/etc, meaning no ware, clothing, weapons or the like.

+Quote Post
swirler
post Mar 3 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,369

Pg 204 Turn to Goo Spell descrip
I'm just gonna post the relevant parts, I dont't wanna get in trouble for posting too much.

Turn to Goo transforms living tissue into a sticky, gluelike substance. ...
Non-living material—including clothing, gear, and cyberware—is not affected...

The goo has a barrier Armor rating equal to Body +net hits (see Barriers, p. 157)

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Mar 3 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

Ah, yes, this means the 'goo' becomes even more harder to cut it off, as you do need at least 1 net hit to turn the target into goo. Really, if you just want to hack the cyberware out from somebody, simply knock him down/stun him, and immobilize him. It's way easier then to turn somebody into goo and then to try to hack out the cyberware. The spell's basically useless, as manabolt/stunbolt can easily down any target, and you will get your cyberware anyway.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Mar 4 2008, 06:12 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

The only utility that I could see would that you might not need skill in cyber technology to harvest the 'ware. Scrapping some ballistic jell off some metal seems a lot easier than uninstalling proper.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Mar 4 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

I seem to recall a fun use someone around here had for Turn To Goo... Hang on... Dang, can't find it. Anyway, I seem to recall it being used as an interrogation technique; have a bunch of mooks in a room, the troll mage comes in, turns one of them into goo and then... breaks out a straw. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
swirler
post Mar 4 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

nice
I seem to remember it working a lil differently in SR1, like it targeted an area or body part. I remember an example of someones arm turning to goo and them screaming.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Mar 4 2008, 03:11 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,735

Ok... from my reading somebody turned to goo... the cyberware didn't... leaving a pile of cyberwear on top of the goo... Where in the description does it say that the cyberware is still part of the goo? Because of that reading I had actually house ruled that the cyberware turns to goo because you paid essence for it.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 4 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Mar 4 2008, 10:11 AM) *
Ok... from my reading somebody turned to goo... the cyberware didn't... leaving a pile of cyberwear on top of the goo... Where in the description does it say that the cyberware is still part of the goo? Because of that reading I had actually house ruled that the cyberware turns to goo because you paid essence for it.

where does it say their cyberware *doesn't* stay inside them? it says they turn to goo, not that they become liquid, and it doesn't say that their cyber suddenly gets pushed to the outside of the pile of goo either.

on a side note, your house rule makes more sense than the regular rule in terms of the world working consistently, and is fairly common... i would encourage you to keep it.

+Quote Post
Slymoon
post Mar 4 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

I think that comes into play regarding persons perceptions of what "Goo" is.

Is Goo the kids play slime that is marketed as snot?
If it is then cryptoknights assertions can be easily valid.

Is Goo basically a humanoid Gummi Bear?
If so, they still resemble a human shape with ware in the proper places, just boneless.

I suppose that is the critical point: definition.

Though the line regarding the toughness = Body + hits seems to make it lean towards the second definition. ie: Gummibear.

+Quote Post
Slymoon
post Mar 4 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

To add a side question!

Is the Goo opaque, translucent, transparent?
Is the Goo colored as it was pre Goo form? a mono color? or a swirl?

Opaque means that removing of ware is even more difficult as you cant actually see it inside.
Transparent means... Can you see well enough to cast spells through the goo?

I personally always imagined it as a nice translucent olive green. But who am I to decide... Maybe your goo can be tacked over a doorway and used as a swirly tapestry.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Mar 4 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

QUOTE (Slymoon @ Mar 3 2008, 09:27 AM) *
SR1:
Turn to Goo, a party favorite there is nothing like scrapping all the pieces parts from the poor individuals and hocking the loot. The ultimate in loot whoring!
Now I do not exactly recall the spell, nor do I have an SR1 book (I do have most everythign else). So I don't know if the spell worked that way.

SR4:
Turn to Goo is back! That casting masses are overjoyed. So now on the GM side again, is there something that doesn't allow this to be a cash cow?

Does cyberware Turn to Goo also? Does it not?

em/ imagines 2070's cyberware version of the 'wake up in a bathtub full of ice missing your kidney' scenario.
hang out and run a night of Turn to Goo collecting wage slave datajacks and internal commlinks...

Considering the cost of either hiring a mage or leaning the spell, why would you bother for something as cheap and readily available as a datajack? As cheap (and largely unnecessary) as datajacks are in 2070, who would be in the market for a used datajack? Nobody who needs one is that poor. I guess I could see the benefit of stealing the internal commlink that way, but if you're making a business out of it, isn't there a pretty high risk of cops tracking you by your signature? Yes there's metamagic to counteract that, but if I was an initiate, I'd have better things to do for cash than liquefying wageslaves for their cheap-ass headware.

+Quote Post
Slymoon
post Mar 4 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

That was an example regarding some very common hardware among the legit populace.

It could just as easily be targeted at cyber limb vets or any other demographic.

Think outside the given example man!

+Quote Post
ICPick
post Mar 4 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 15,637

This one hasn't come up with us since SR1, but I remember that we allowed it for cyber removal, although I think we house ruled that for cyber removal it had to be a dead body.... I dont really remember. We havent played that kind of campain for years.

My view would be that the barrier rating would be for damaging it... kind of like that science trick with cornstarch and water? If you applied pressure to it, it would get solid, but if you held it in your hand without pressure it oozed.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 4 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #20

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

I think the reason cyberware is not changed by Turn to Goo, is to make it harder to smuggle the razor onto a plane.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Mar 4 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Mar 4 2008, 04:36 PM) *
Considering the cost of either hiring a mage or leaning the spell, why would you bother for something as cheap and readily available as a datajack? As cheap (and largely unnecessary) as datajacks are in 2070, who would be in the market for a used datajack? Nobody who needs one is that poor. I guess I could see the benefit of stealing the internal commlink that way, but if you're making a business out of it, isn't there a pretty high risk of cops tracking you by your signature? Yes there's metamagic to counteract that, but if I was an initiate, I'd have better things to do for cash than liquefying wageslaves for their cheap-ass headware.

Hell, when I was in High School someone stole socks for the homeless. Datajacks are also 500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) a piece. NOT CHEAP. Sure it is the most standard cyberware, but that doesn't mean that everyone has it or that it comes cheap. Personally, if Turn to Goo allowed for easy cyber removal, I would totally abuse it, hands down. Id be making so much bank off cyber removal that there would be no need to run.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Mar 4 2008, 04:42 PM) *
I think the reason cyberware is not changed by Turn to Goo, is to make it harder to smuggle the razor onto a plane.

I love the idea. Even then, you just have a bundle of wires and maybe a cyberarm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
swirler
post Mar 4 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

by the description of the spell I would assume a (meta)human gummibear, since there is the whole barrier rating thing it would indicate it has some sort of shape/strength so I would think it would still be cohesive and attached to the ware.

I also figure it's somewhat green in color, somewhat clear and would have some give like gummi stuff does. But that's just me

also you might notice that petrify, another SR1 throwback has almost the exact same wording as Goo, and the same basic effect as far as mechanics, just a different substance.

+Quote Post
Cadmus
post Mar 5 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,304

QUOTE (swirler @ Mar 4 2008, 06:33 PM) *
by the description of the spell I would assume a (meta)human gummibear, since there is the whole barrier rating thing it would indicate it has some sort of shape/strength so I would think it would still be cohesive and attached to the ware.

I also figure it's somewhat green in color, somewhat clear and would have some give like gummi stuff does. But that's just me

also you might notice that petrify, another SR1 throwback has almost the exact same wording as Goo, and the same basic effect as far as mechanics, just a different substance.

My goo spell would turn them into a redish or orange color, simply becouse I hate the green gummy bears..blah

+Quote Post
swirler
post Mar 5 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cadmus @ Mar 5 2008, 04:04 AM) *
My goo spell would turn them into a redish or orange color, simply becouse I hate the green gummy bears..blah

I think green because during SR1 all of the toxic-esque effects (and in movies and games) they were always greenish. Often neon green.

+Quote Post
Slymoon
post Mar 5 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Same here on the green.

Though I am always pushing the players to come up with visual spell descriptions. So if they want Bright Pink so be it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.