Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I am ironman, Is he buildable?
Lionhearted
post Mar 3 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,310

Not so much This as THIS! , Okey someone have been watching the New Ironman trailer a few times to much.
Which made me think, Is it possible to build an ironman with the current published rules, Im very aware of that he could be fairly easily done as a Chromed Street Sam, however... that isn't very much like the 'original' character.
Here's the Challenge, making Tony Stark into a Rigger with a fraggin' nice custom built anthroform .. thing?

What we know

1. Tony 'Ironman' Stark is a engineering genius and has a long experience in the weapons industries
2. He has virtually infinite resources thanks to being the CEO of a major weapon manufactorer (just got a Ares wibe down my spine) and Probably very high availibility in restricted, forbidden military class gear
3. The Business man Stark, must be able to pass of as fully human (well, except that gizmo that keeps his heart beating), Aswell of being capable of managing a big company, and at the same time maintaining his alter ego

My bet is that this is atleast a 500bp character (excluding resources), what say? can it be done, and how?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synner667
post Mar 3 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,753

Of course, to properly do Iron Man, you'd need to take into account technology way beyond the levels available in SR [since SR does not have superheroes, aliens, etc].

You're practically in House Rules mode to create Iron Man..
..So just put him together, then reverse-justify it.

As for the weapons, etc..
..If that's all you focus on, you might as well go into gunbunny fetish mode and forget about Iron Man as such [whose armour is many things, even ignoring Stealth Armour and Original Armour] and just create man-in-armour-with-guns.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 3 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

military armor from arsenal would be a good start. unless one feel like going the borg route...

btw, each time they pull black sabbath - iron man in those trailers, i go all schoolgirl like! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Mar 3 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 3 2008, 06:28 PM) *
btw, each time they pull black sabbath - iron man in those trailers, i go all schoolgirl like! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I've been humming on it all day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 4 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #5

panda!

this looks to be so much better then the spider-man movies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
not to say they where bad, but they focused to much on the drama and to little on motormouth spidey, and thats how peter parker stays sane with all the shit life throws at him.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Mar 4 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Damn, this is one of those times i wished i'd get Arsenal and Augmentation just so i could rant about it.
Is there any Riggin' support in those books anyway?

+Quote Post
GryMor
post Mar 4 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 13,404

As far as I can tell, for the armor, flight is the hardest problem to deal with while remaining in RAW. The only solution I've been able to come up with is, roughly:

Tony Stark is a possession tradition mage, the armor can't actually fly on it's own but is instead routinely possessed by a high force air spirit, using movement on itself.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Mar 4 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (GryMor @ Mar 3 2008, 08:10 PM) *
As far as I can tell, for the armor, flight is the hardest problem to deal with while remaining in RAW. The only solution I've been able to come up with is, roughly:

Tony Stark is a possession tradition mage, the armor can't actually fly on it's own but is instead routinely possessed by a high force air spirit, using movement on itself.

Hahaha, that is just such a wonderful idea!

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 4 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 98

Just build a flying drone into the armor/have it bolted to the backpack/attach it with superglue.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 4 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

While Iron Man is certainly a cool song, I am unsure if it is thematically appropriate for a movie about Tony Stark. The song's narrative is, after all, about a disgruntled superpowered homeless man who decides to systematically murder the entire world as revenge for the apathetic treatment he has received at the hands of the people he sacrificed everything to save.

Tony Stark is occasionally a mass murderer; but he's never been homeless.

Anyway, start out with an anthroform drone, modify it to accept a driver, and strap on a jet engine. It'll be bulkier than the standard Iron Man armor, but it could work.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 4 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #11

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

With SR technology, the IRON MAN could be an antroform drone the business exec jumps into...

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Mar 4 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

QUOTE (GryMor @ Mar 3 2008, 07:10 PM) *

Yea, watching the trailer, I kept thinking "Hmm... shadowrun has no flying armor. Shadowrun has no wrist-sized antitank missiles."

Then I realized -- every one of those things could be done with magic. Of course, a mage in a heavy suit of armor isn't really what the OP was going for I think, but it's the closest I could come.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 4 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #13

panda!

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Mar 4 2008, 01:50 AM) *
While Iron Man is certainly a cool song, I am unsure if it is thematically appropriate for a movie about Tony Stark. The song's narrative is, after all, about a disgruntled superpowered homeless man who decides to systematically murder the entire world as revenge for the apathetic treatment he has received at the hands of the people he sacrificed everything to save.

Tony Stark is occasionally a mass murderer; but he's never been homeless.

your thinking to much about it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Spike
post Mar 4 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 3 2008, 03:28 PM) *

My girl has expressly forbid me from playing, humming, or even thinking about singing (much less the actual... you know... singing) the song for some time now.

Otherwise...

yeah.

+Quote Post
GryMor
post Mar 4 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #15

Target

I was initially going to try building the suit as a drone, but thats nixed by it being mediumish but carrying a passenger. Then I went along the Tony is actually a jar head, the thing on his humaniform body's chest is their as an explanation/camo so people still think he's human.

But then I ran into the problem of not even being able to (usefully) make a flying anthroform drone using RAW, and definitely not being able to make a medium drone with the suits flight characteristics (VTOL alone eats up 4 mod slots, never mind pumping speed up beyond mach 1).

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 4 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

ok, you'll have to *really* ignore the flavor, and just focus on the numbers:

horseman with advanced cargo module
add in the LTA mod.
add in walker mod.

season to taste with weapons, armor, etc.

that gives you the most basic stuff... flight (so it's not *quite* a jetpack =P), humanoid body (well, arms and legs at any rate... remember how we're ignoring flavor? well ignore harder, dangit!) and a fully enclosed vehicle. behold, i give unto you (very basic, and not terribly fast) flying power armor!

(beyond that, i don't really know anything about iron man i'm afraid, so this is pretty much just the basic concept (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) )

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 4 2008, 01:59 AM
Post #17

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

pity that the jymn(spelling?) suits did not make it into SR4 . . in sR3 they would be more or less the perfect basis for building the iron man, and they accept rigging controls . . as for the movie . . if he's got heart-problems . . doesn't that mean it's the ultimate iron man? *shudders* if it's going to be ultimate, i'll have to decline any offer of seeing that movie ever <.< . . the animated iron man/avengers movies were enough/too much for me allready . .

+Quote Post
raverbane
post Mar 4 2008, 02:08 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,735

If it doesnt have to be a starting character...

Build the armor as an ally spirit. The materialized form is the hollow armor.

Or you could do it as a inhabitation...

+Quote Post
GryMor
post Mar 4 2008, 02:29 AM
Post #19

Target

QUOTE (Jaid @ Mar 3 2008, 08:45 PM) *
ok, you'll have to *really* ignore the flavor, and just focus on the numbers:

horseman with advanced cargo module
add in the LTA mod.
add in walker mod.

season to taste with weapons, armor, etc.

that gives you the most basic stuff... flight (so it's not *quite* a jetpack =P), humanoid body (well, arms and legs at any rate... remember how we're ignoring flavor? well ignore harder, dangit!) and a fully enclosed vehicle. behold, i give unto you (very basic, and not terribly fast) flying power armor!

(beyond that, i don't really know anything about iron man i'm afraid, so this is pretty much just the basic concept (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) )

WAY too slow (speed 75 base -50% for LTA, -50% for walker, technically dropping it to 0, but in spirit leaving it at 37.5), handling is sad (+1 base, -2 for LTA, +1 for walker), armor is anemic (base 4) and you don't really have much in the way of mod slots (body 6, and you've already eaten 3 slots).

At best, you can get +40% in speed boosts.

Personally, if we're ignoring theme, you could get closer starting with a Lockheed Sparrow (although, it's almost certainly missing a Std. Upgrades section) and tacking on walker, going with 'spirit of the rules' to only count the speed penalty as a land speed penalty.

In fact, AFAICT, the minimum house rules for getting to the Ironman suit would be to add a 'miniaturized' 'modification' (more of, alternate version really), that reduces body for purposes of vehicle size and cargo capacity, tack a rating 14 instance of that modification onto a Federated Boing Eagle-C along with walker modification, and an extra level of VTOL.

Of course, this would work a lot better if there were rules (or are there, maybe I missed them), for actually building vehicles...

+Quote Post
GryMor
post Mar 4 2008, 02:34 AM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 3 2008, 08:59 PM) *
pity that the jymn(spelling?) suits did not make it into SR4 . . in sR3 they would be more or less the perfect basis for building the iron man, and they accept rigging controls . . as for the movie . . if he's got heart-problems . . doesn't that mean it's the ultimate iron man? *shudders* if it's going to be ultimate, i'll have to decline any offer of seeing that movie ever <.< . . the animated iron man/avengers movies were enough/too much for me allready . .

Uhm, Ultimate Iron Man doesn't have heart troubles, in fact you could cut his heart out and he'd be back on his feet in a few days. Ultimate Iron Man has freaky regeneration and full body brain issues. The heart issues thing (which, AFAICR, is actually shrapnel near his heart, being kept in place by the magnet thing on his chest) was something the 'original' iron man had, at least at some point.

I actually like Ultimate Iron Man, it's the only Ultimate continuity comic I like... (and the best work Orson Scott Card has done in the past decade)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 4 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

hrm, maybe i'm getting things mixed up here, but wasn't the original iron-man quadrilepic and had to use a wheelchair outside of the armor?
and the ultimate one was the one with the heart failure and the alcohol problem? o.O
And no matter what Iron Man we're talking about, you could allways just cut his heart out . . either because it's fun and most everybody wanted to do it at least once in his or her life or because there probably wouldn't be that much of a difference in the heartless bastard anyway *g*

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 4 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

No.

Regular (616) Iron Man has traditionally had heart problems, and jumped in and out of the bottle throughout his continuity. In the last few years, he's also been diagnosted with giant-gaping-assholitis, and a case of the chronic stupids.

Ultimate Iron Man has the brain...erm..."issues." And regeneration stuff going on.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 4 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #23

The ShadowComedian

okay, seems as if i am just a teeny little bit behind on my marvel multiverse <.< . .

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Mar 4 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 4 2008, 07:37 AM) *
okay, seems as if i am just a teeny little bit behind on my marvel multiverse <.< . .

At this point im glad that marvel never put to much effort in Sweden, Only experience i got of Iron man is that from an old SNES game featuring him and some other assorted Marvel heroes (Capt. A, Wolverine, Spidey, Hulk to my recollection)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 4 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #25

panda!

one could also pick up this game for multiple platforms now:
http://www.marvelultimatealliance.com/

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.