Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Knack and Astral Perception
BRodda
post Mar 4 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,811

OK I was looking over Street Magic last night and a noticed something about both the Knack and Perceive Astrally qualities. Mainly they both state that if you take them you get a magic of 1. Now my question is if you take BOTH, do you get a magic of 2 or does it just stay at 1?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jago668
post Mar 4 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

I would say it stays at 1. They both say you acquire a magic attribute of 1 and that it cannot be raised.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 4 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #3

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I thought they were mutually exclusive, but I could be wrong .....

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Mar 4 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

I also vote towards a Magic Attribute of 1. I would go further as to say that you cannot take both (though it probably is not stated in Street Magic). However, I would argue with the GM as to allow for an increase in the power.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Mar 4 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,811

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Mar 4 2008, 04:13 PM) *
I thought they were mutually exclusive, but I could be wrong .....

I thought so to until I read the text. They both just say mages, adepts and latents can't have them. Of course for the cost of the two qualities you could buy the mage quality, so I don't think they ever really considered it.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 5 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 98

If you feel like raising that magic attribute down the road, wouldn't it be easier to just be an Adept and spend that 1 point on Astral Perception? I'm not sure what you'd need the extra points for except to buffer getting some 'ware, in which case you could just raise your magic as you got cyber-enhanced, keeping your actual Magic at 1 the whole time.

Or if you want Knack and Astral Perception with the ability to raise the attribute, to be a Mystic Adept and only learn one spell and Spellcasting?

+Quote Post
suppenhuhn
post Mar 5 2008, 03:03 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,682

You'll only get magic 1 no matter if you took both or only one.
Those 2 qualities really suck though as you cant put any cyber/bioware into your char and thus your way better off with making a mage or mystic adept which allows you to raise your magic so you can install mods.
We play em with a magic 1 attribute which is not affected by essence which makes em an option but is not gamebreaking at all.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Mar 5 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

I would use the same suggestion that is in the final paragraph of spell/spirit knack. Lenient gamemasters may allow it but its not reccomend. If you did allow it each expression of the knack would give you 1 magic?

We've recently run into this problem and have approached it one of two ways either allow it to be taken late in char gen (an idea given to me) or use it strictly with latent awakening.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.