IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are the limitations of Control Thoughts?
Ranger
post Mar 12 2008, 03:22 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,759

I assume you can tell the target to attack his or her friends. Can you tell the target to kill himself or herself?

If you don't spend a simple action to command the target, what does the target do? Nothing? Act normally? Continue what you commanded him or her to do last?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 12 2008, 04:45 AM
Post #2

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Welcome to Dumpshock, Ranger.

I haven't had a lot of experience with this spell in my games, but the description in the BBB (core rule book) seems pretty all-encompassing. It says:
QUOTE (SR4 p.203)
...directing everything the target does.
which to me implies total control.

As to your second question, I would generally rule that the controlled character would continue whatever they were ordered to (assuming its an ongoing task) or do nothing (standby mode). Same for any drone or spirit really.

+Quote Post
Ranger
post Mar 12 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Thank you, Method.

Seems like a rather powerful spell if that's correct. It's basically a one-shot kill spell, then. I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just musing.

+Quote Post
john_doe
post Mar 12 2008, 04:59 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,120

You also gotta remember that because it's a mental manipulation, the poor bastard you are controlling gets a chance to reduce your hits every Force combat turns. If they reduce it to zero, the spell is done, and you would need to recast.

So in combat it's pretty brutal.

Outside of combat, if you cast this at Force 4...they are gonna get a chance to shrug it off every 12 seconds...

....at least i think that's how it works...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 12 2008, 05:17 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (john_doe @ Mar 12 2008, 03:59 PM) *
You also gotta remember that because it's a mental manipulation, the poor bastard you are controlling gets a chance to reduce your hits every Force combat turns.

And an additional (cumulative) Resistance test each time the victim is given an order that goes against his nature.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 12 2008, 05:23 AM
Post #6

Street Doc

Fortune: I see a rules like that for Control Actions and Control Emotions, but is there such a rule for Control Thoughts?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 12 2008, 05:27 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Shrug. Um ... I'm sure it's there somewhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Now that I look, I can't even find anything of the like for the two spells you listed either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 12 2008, 05:31 AM
Post #8

Street Doc

Like I said I have little experience with the spell, so honestly don't know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Ranger
post Mar 12 2008, 05:43 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Mr. Doe, you are correct about the target being allowed new tests to break free.

Fortune: I don't see that rule anywhere. It seems to me that you can tell the target to kill himself, and he will, no questions asked, and no chance to fight off the command.

Who needs powerbolt when you can command an enemy to shoot his buddies, then shoot himself all for only 1 drain value more?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 12 2008, 05:47 AM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Might be a legacy from an earlier edition (or even another game entirely), but I was sure I remembered reading something of the like in relation to Control 'x' spells in Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
mike_the_fish
post Mar 12 2008, 07:02 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 5,902

Back in 3rd edition, this spell basically broke the campaign I was running. It looks like it might be less abusive in this edition, but even so, I would be wary of this spell.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 12 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #12

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

In SR3, it says: "Commands the target is deeply opposed to can be fought with a Willpower Test against the spell's Force, one test per command..."

I generally give modifiers based on precisely how opposed the character is to the action. An order to shoot Bob will just get a standard test, because he didn't like Bob much anyhow. An order to shoot himself would get a -4 modifier because he really does like himself.

+Quote Post
kanislatrans
post Mar 12 2008, 01:43 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

From: The corner of Detonation Boulevard and Fascination Street
Member No.: 14,464

QUOTE (nezumi @ Mar 12 2008, 08:25 AM) *
In SR3, it says: "Commands the target is deeply opposed to can be fought with a Willpower Test against the spell's Force, one test per command..."

An order to shoot himself would get a -4 modifier because he really does like himself.

so hit him with a control emotions first to fill him with feelings of worthlessness and self loathing , and then hit him with the command thoughts to off himself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

or how about " hold this grenade for me while I go to the little boys room" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

My street mage had a phobia involving mind spells. would only use them in extreme emergencies.

"I am not getting in that fraggers head. do you know how nasty it is in there???" C.'Wormwood" Degaulle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Blade
post Mar 12 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE ("nezumi")
I generally give modifiers based on precisely how opposed the character is to the action. An order to shoot Bob will just get a standard test, because he didn't like Bob much anyhow. An order to shoot himself would get a -4 modifier because he really does like himself.

Same here, and if the players complain about it, I remind them that opponents can also have this spell and ask them if they still disagree with that ruling.

+Quote Post
Ranger
post Mar 12 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (nezumi @ Mar 12 2008, 05:25 AM) *

That sounds like a fair idea. I'm the GM in this game, so actually I was looking for a reasonable way to limit this spell, just in case. No player has it, yet, but I wanted to stop any potential headaches before they began.

Actually, wouldn't that be he gets a +4 modifier? As in, the target gets +4 to his Willpower Test? -4 means he'd be more likely to shoot himself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 12 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #16

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Mar 12 2008, 09:43 AM) *
so hit him with a control emotions first to fill him with feelings of worthlessness and self loathing , and then hit him with the command thoughts to off himself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

or how about " hold this grenade for me while I go to the little boys room" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

You can do a control emotions control thoughts double whammy, but that's a LOT of drain to swallow, and a lot of chances for the target to resist.

The grenade thing could go either way. If it's obvious the grenade has no pin, it's suicide, so -4 modifier to his check. If the guy can't tell if the grenade is armed or not, he'll be cautious, but might not think he's signing his death warrant, so maybe -2. If the grenade is inside of a teddy bear, he can do that with no penalty.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 12 2008, 10:00 AM) *
Actually, wouldn't that be he gets a +4 modifier? As in, the target gets +4 to his Willpower Test? -4 means he'd be more likely to shoot himself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I don't play your heathen game, but I assume from your tricky double-speak that is how it would work for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (No idea on what is an appropriate number, though. Like I said, I don't play your game, so you'll have to fine tune it yourself.)

+Quote Post
Ranger
post Mar 12 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (nezumi @ Mar 12 2008, 06:11 AM) *
I don't play your heathen game, but I assume from your tricky double-speak that is how it would work for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (No idea on what is an appropriate number, though. Like I said, I don't play your game, so you'll have to fine tune it yourself.)

Maybe we're playing different editions. I'm playing SR4, where you add or subtract from your dice pool as a modifier, instead of modifying the target number which is what I assume you meant. So, a positive modifier means you get more dice pool to resist the spell.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 12 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

Since nezumi said he uses a Willpower test against the Force of the Spell (and hence a Threshold), maybe you might rule a -4 to the Threshold of the test.

+Quote Post
Velocity219e
post Mar 12 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 2,622

why all this control emotions fiasco, three commands.

Step 1
1, Write this (ambiguous suicide note)
2, Stand still
3, Don't react to any external stimulus for five minutes

Step 2
Shoot from a position acheivable via suicide

or optionally

'eat this pill'

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 12 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

First time you use this on the players, they'll call for a house rule. Use "Control Thoughts" on one and have them turn in the rest of the team, or pull the alarm, or just lay down and wait for security. Non-lethal ways of showing the characters just how much this spell breaks things.

+Quote Post
MadPiper
post Mar 12 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 15,749

So outside of combat, the mind minupulation spells only work for a few minutes at best before you have to recast it?

+Quote Post
MadPiper
post Mar 13 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 15,749

Nvm, I found the answer in the book.

Every (Force) Combat Turns, the victim may spend a Complex Action to shake off the mental control.

And since this is stated in the Mind Manipulation description at the begining of the section. I guess that means that control actions, mob control, control thoughts, mob mind, control emotions, mob mind will generally last less than a minute. In combat their useful, outside of it, basically pointless. At least in comparision to the 3rd ed rule, which I think had no cap on time as long as you sustained it. Quote me if i'm wrong though.

I suppose only influence still is useful? Since its permanent?

+Quote Post
b1ffov3rfl0w
post Mar 13 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,329

Every (Force) turns the victim gets to make a Willpower + Counterspelling test; when hits on that reduce the net hits to 0 the spell ends. So less than a few minutes, unless you're casting at a high Force against someone with low Will.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Mar 13 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Of course, if they glitch, I would only count half of the hits towards reducing net hits, rounding down (and glitches should happen fairly regularly when dealing with with low Willpowers); a critical glitch would either double the number of "current" net hits or "reset" the spell with the original number of net hits.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.