Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Masking and Extended Masking.
MadPiper
post Mar 12 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,749

I am a little confused about masking(SR4) and Extended Masking(SM). My only question is, does either apply to spells that can/are being casted? I really dont know if I am even phrasing that Question right.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 12 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

If I'm understanding you right, you're wondering if the Masking/Extended masking that you can use to hide being awakened can be used to keep others from noticing that a spell is being cast by you, right?

I guess it's a matter of perspective, in a lot of ways. I don't have my rulebooks with me, but it would seem that Masking and Extended masking is a lot like a stealth skill. You're sneaky until you do something obvious like turn on the lights, use an unsilenced weapon, etc. So you'd be hidden from others noticing you're awakened until you cast a spell, at which point there's no room for doubt.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 12 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

No, you can't hide the act of casting a spell with Masking or Extended Masking, but with Extended Masking you can hide on-going spells (i.e. sustained or quickened spells).

+Quote Post
MadPiper
post Mar 12 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #4

Target

If I'm understanding you right, you're wondering if the Masking/Extended masking that you can use to hide being awakened can be used to keep others from noticing that a spell is being cast by you, right?

Yes, that is what I am asking.

No, you can't hide the act of casting a spell with Masking or Extended Masking, but with Extended Masking you can hide on-going spells (i.e. sustained or quickened spells).

Thats where I am confused... if a spell can be sustained, then cant extended mask apply to cover its magical aura? But when you cast something, you have a magical aura, but thats covered by masking, like if you were making yourself look like a mundane. So then, the only magical aura that would be around, would be the target of your spell, like control actions for example. However, with extended mask, that magical aura would not show because it is a sustainable spell?

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 12 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Running Target

I view it this way. When you're casting a spell, you're drawing in the mana you need to get the magic to manifest. That's so overt that it's nigh impossible to hide. Once the spell is cast, it takes a very specific and lower level amount of mana to maintain it, and thus you can compensate with masking. Casting is so taxing (hence drain) that you can't focus on keeping it hidden and cast it at the same time.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 12 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

A better idea of what's going on is that your Masking holds, but to people hanging around you it looks like a mundane is casting a spell-a dead giveaway. It's like sneaking around under an invisibility spell and then sneezing; your disguise might be perfect but your actions give you away.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 13 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Darnit, I like his analogy better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
MadPiper
post Mar 13 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #8

Target

I understand that casting a lighting bolt, whether with masking or extended masking will be obvious no matter what I do. I do not care what mundanes see, I am more concerned about what someone astrally percieving would see. I suppose it would be a better question to ask, would anyone astraly percieving see anything if a magic user with masking and/or extended masking casting a spell that is not obvious, like a mana spell? Well, as long as its a sustaining spell.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 13 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Yes, they would see the spell bloom to life. And then they would see it disappear under your Masking.

+Quote Post
MadPiper
post Mar 13 2008, 04:18 AM
Post #10

Target

Ah ok, just making sure I had that right. Thank you guys for clearing that up for me!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.