Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Books, Can't Decide!
Diesel
post Dec 5 2003, 02:10 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,955

I have the mainbook (though in horribly detted condition...most of it is now housed anyways though soo...), the Cannon Companion, SR Comp (3), MITS, Man and Machine, Rigger 3, and a few 2nd ed books. I'm looking through and I can't figure out what would be the most rocking pickup.

I like the sound of SOTA:2063, and YotC. Is SOTA as jampacked as CC or MM? Or is it too lean? Is YotC more like Renraku Shutdown, with a neat story and a rather heavy run premise, or does it have it's share of neat stuff too?

I don't have that many deckers, but that could be because I don't have Matrix. Is Matrix worth it?

Any other books really worth buying? I'm a man of limited means, but y'know, birthday (Wed) and CocaColaDay :D (25th) comin' up too. Maybe my FRIENDS WILL READ THIS AND BUY ACCORDINGLY. :D

Shoot away!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 5 2003, 02:11 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

I really like YotC, but I think it's kind of outdated by SOTA-2063

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 5 2003, 02:22 AM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

SOTA isn't as jam-packed as, say, a book that devotes its entire content (more or less) to weapons or cyberware and the rules for it, but it's got a fair amount of nice stuff.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 5 2003, 02:29 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Sprawl Survival Guide is good if you like flavor.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 5 2003, 02:48 AM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

More accurately, if you like flavour with a dash of rules. For the pure stuff, go with Shadowbeat. Then again, some people like to actually use the books they buy now and then.
Wusses.

;)

~J

+Quote Post
Jimmy_the_Fixer
post Dec 5 2003, 03:18 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 4,903

go with matrix, its got a ton of stuff for the players and the GM.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Dec 5 2003, 03:53 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

I've loved SotA: 2063. It's got a full chapter designed for mercenaries, which is my absolute favorite PC to play and campaign to play within.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Dec 5 2003, 04:09 AM
Post #8

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Diesel)
Is YotC more like Renraku Shutdown, with a neat story and a rather heavy run premise, or does it have it's share of neat stuff too?

Not at all. R:AS was basically a self contained set of adventures with a fixed end. YotC sets out a number of settings around the world and then leaves them open in how people use them.

Of the two, I'd probably say go for YotC before SotA. That is of course if you like enjoying the canon world - since a lot of new developments have come out of it. If on the other hand you never leave Seattle and the GM does her own thing regardless of whatever FanPro brings out, then I'd say SotA. :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 5 2003, 04:16 AM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Brainscan was a set of adventures with a fixed end. RA:S was more a tiny little campaign setting in the middle of Seattle, and quite open-ended.

~J

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Dec 5 2003, 04:34 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

I think the group will have more fun with the toys than with a story from the man. I can generalize from what I hear on the boards, I guess, at least until I get paid again. :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.