Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Microscopic Vision, Glasses too?
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 18 2008, 01:34 AM
Post #1

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Maybe I'm just blind, but I'm not seeing the glasses equivalent of Microscopic Vision anywhere. It seems odd to me that is the only eyemod that isn't also a goggles mod. Or am I just missing it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 18 2008, 05:37 AM
Post #2

Decker on the Threshold

So, there isn't one?

Would you say +130 Y/Availability 4 is a fair price? It follows the same price difference that low-light, thermo, and vision magnification modifications do.

+Quote Post
b1ffov3rfl0w
post Mar 18 2008, 05:40 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,329

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 17 2008, 09:34 PM) *
Maybe I'm just blind, but I'm not seeing the glasses equivalent of Microscopic Vision anywhere. It seems odd to me that is the only eyemod that isn't also a goggles mod. Or am I just missing it?

Sorry, the goggles do nothing.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 18 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #4

Decker on the Threshold

So, in other words,

"Hey, I want to use a high-magnification lens to look at this circuitboard."

"Sorry, you have to implant it into your eyes or you can't do it."

Seriously, that's it? That's the best we can come up with?

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Mar 18 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

Hopefully they'll get around to adding it in a FAQ or the errata.

But yeah, no hardware version that isn't a houserule yet. So work it out with your group/GM.

+Quote Post
Larme
post Mar 18 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

It was the same in SR3. Can we come up with a coherent explanation of why microvision can exist in eyes, but not in glasses?

Try this on for size: magnification (beyond what's possible with image enhancement) requires lenses. Digital vision magnification can easily be achieved just by enhancing a high definition digital image. But for the kind of magnification you need for a microscope, you need lenses. You can stick some variable focus nanolenses into the cybereye, and then at will it will become a microscope. Glasses and goggles are just not thick enough to have variable focus microlenses lined up one after the other in parallel. You'd need wacky mad scientist glasses with big ol' telescope things sticking out of the front, and those would essentially make the glasses useless for anything other than microscopy. So you could have microscopic glasses, but in reality they wouldn't be "glasses" as you find them in the core book, they'd just be a microscope you can wear.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 18 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Personally, my stance is that it's kind of stupid there's a microscopic vision modification that gives dicepool bonuses at all. Frankly, I think using some form of magnification should be considered SOP when doing many types of small repairs and as such should be considered a standard part of the Tool Kit/Shop/Facility you already need to own in order to avoid the "Inadequate Tools" penalty in the first place. God forbid we keep the technical skill bookkeeping streamlined like it was in the BBB though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif)

Anyway, I agree that now that the milk has been spilled that there really should be a goggle version available, since after all we're really only talking about a pretty harmless niche item.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 18 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I'm thinking that Microscopic Vision 'goggles', among other tech stuff, will see the light of day in Unwired.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 18 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Damn connection sucks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.