IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Emotitoys, ... toning down the tingle.
Fortune
post Mar 19 2008, 05:26 AM
Post #1

Immoral Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,486

I am considering a house rule whereby the bonuses provided by Emotitoys may only be used to offset negative modifiers, instead of being applied as a flat dice pool bonus. What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 19 2008, 05:29 AM
Post #2

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Or how about they can only be used for the single action of Judge Intentions, which makes far more sense for what is essentially an Autosoft, rather than for every social skill?

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Mar 19 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 948

Is it just me or would a Johnson REALLY take a runner seriously when they walk around with a cute shoulder dragon that whisper social hints to them…I don’t care how popular they are, no bloody corporate stooge would take me seriously with a Tamagochi V2070 crawling around over my suit or peeking malevolently at them through my suit pocket.

Personally I’d rather have a cybereye and running the Empathy software on my commlink.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Mar 19 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

They would if they had corporate research data that showed there was often an over 100% increase in successful social interaction when emotoys were introduced. I'm sure all the corps have less-childlike versions produced on the cheap (typical emotoy costs) that they hand out to all of their Johnsons - it would be crazy not to!

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 19 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

I don't see any rules that state that the 'toy' has to be visible in any way when being used.

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Mar 19 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

I don't use those toys in my game. Just doesn't seem to fit my game at all.

+Quote Post
thiagão
post Mar 19 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 15,779

QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 19 2008, 09:24 AM) *
I don't see any rules that state that the 'toy' has to be visible in any way when being used.

I agree with you, the toy may be hidden somewhere else trasmitting data to the character's commlink, although it must have a clear view of the target, since the software analyses video/trideo images.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 19 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #8

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 19 2008, 06:24 AM) *

IIRC, the Emotitoys run the Empathy software to provide their bonus. First sentence of the Empathy software is:

QUOTE ("Arsenal @ p. 60")
Empathy software is designed for use with standard video/trideo cameras, carefully analyzing the behavioral patterns of the subject to ascertain mood, interest, and so on.

Since video/trideo cameras have to "see" the behavioral patterns of their subject in order to analyze them, it follows that Emotitoys have to "look" at their targets, too.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Mar 19 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

Dashifen has it down for this. The software needs a camera/sensor to "see" the subject.

So wrist mounted Toys have to be in LOS of the subject. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

WMS

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 19 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Or they need to be linked to a disguised camera (maybe a button or cuff-link or some other innocuous item) that fulfills that LOS requirement.

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Mar 19 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Just put the software in your head, and use your cybereyes. Don't really need an actual or AR toy, right?

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Mar 19 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 19 2008, 09:13 AM) *
Or they need to be linked to a disguised camera (maybe a button or cuff-link or some other innocuous item) that fulfills that LOS requirement.

That has been discussed in another thread, you only need the software, load it on a commlink, and use cybereyes if you have them, and yes a concealed camera can work.

In that discussion though, a concealed camera would be vulnerable to a Camera Neutralizer while cybereyes would not.

WMS

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Mar 19 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

Actually, the emotitoys would make a lot of sense in our campaign, especially when dealing with pirates and their robotic parrots or monkeys. Yarr, avast, and other stuff... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)
Although, the rules do specify for the need of dedicated sensor systems to use those sensor softwares. I guess it needs a little bit more than simply a cybercommlink and some cybereyes. At least some kind of cybersensor-thingy-implant should be mandatory, if one truely wishes to harness the advantages those things grant...
Of course, you can use microdrones in forms of a wristband too, as others already suggested...

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Mar 19 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #14

Dragon

It's more the "here there be bonus dice for social tests" I don't see the need for. I don't like the whole "Let's inflate DP" stuff, it leads to everyone and their brother having to have that kind of stuff, or be useless - and enhanced pheromones is enough of a boost already, IMHO, and better balanced.

I consider emotitoys just another "We need something better in this book" item, nothing that adds to my game, just another power creep thing.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 19 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #15

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Fuchs @ Mar 19 2008, 03:15 PM) *
Just put the software in your head, and use your cybereyes. Don't really need an actual or AR toy, right?

It's just that the toy is way cheaper than the software...

+Quote Post
Blade
post Mar 19 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I like the idea of emotitoys, and I already had things like that in mind with social interaction analyzing programs. But I think that emotitoys, as every computer systems should be foolable.
Someone who knows about them, and has good enough social skills, should be able to deceive them so that they convey exactly what he wants them to.

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Mar 19 2008, 02:34 PM
Post #17

Dragon

Take the toy, extract the software then.

Or just assume that everyone using social skills did that, and cancel the modifiers out, and ignore the toy.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Mar 19 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #18

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Bingo!

+Quote Post
thiagão
post Mar 19 2008, 05:11 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 15,779

After reading again the rules, shouldn't the GM call for Judge Intentions test, before adding the dice for the social tests?
afterall the software is not infallible and, in the case of a critical glitch, may even confuse the user instead of helping.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Mar 19 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Fuchs @ Mar 19 2008, 03:34 PM) *
Take the toy, extract the software then.

It could be that it is integrated into the hardware and not easily extracted software.

After reading it it does NOT give a bonus to your social tests, it is just the Empathy program that MIGHT give a slight bonus IF you roll well enough with 6D6 (assuming that you have a rating 6 emotitoy).

Empathy programs do not give a straight bonus to dicepool.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Mar 19 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Mar 19 2008, 07:14 PM) *
Empathy programs do not give a straight bonus to dicepool.

yes it does in page 60 of Arsenal under entry for empathy software it says

"Empathy soft ware can be discreetly used in real time during negotiations or social interactions, adding its rating as a dicepool bonus to the characters Social skill ."

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 19 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #22

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Exactly. If you remove that sentence then the emotiontoys suddenly make sense. With it they just become a cheap source of power creep.

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Mar 19 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Mar 19 2008, 12:14 PM) *
After reading it it does NOT give a bonus to your social tests, it is just the Empathy program that MIGHT give a slight bonus IF you roll well enough with 6D6 (assuming that you have a rating 6 emotitoy).

I actually like this way of using them. Roll your emotion software, however many hits you get provide a bonus to your actual social skill test. Rather than a really inexpensive +6 DP.

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Mar 19 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

emotitoy drawbacks -

they are obvious.

they can be destroyed.

if you can have one they can have one, which basically nulls it all out.

people might hate your emotitoy.

they do not look very professional.

they can be confiscated at the door of any place.

if you bring it on a run they will have the exact make, model, and color of the emotitoy you used (which is more evidence the cops can use to track you down and find you.)

they will only pretty much work to your advantage in a few select situations.

Face it emotitoys are not the win in this game and for most purposes people might just end up blasting the emotitoys off your shoulder (since most people know what they are used for.) I mean if someone brought - Wiffles the social dominatrix puppy - to a party I would probably exit stage left asap.

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Mar 19 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

I think any person would be more worried about the Ruger Super-Warhawk in the concealed holster, than the emotitoy. They assist with communications, but anyone who sees you have one, could be put on guard (granting +2 or more DP). Which means in general they'll probably help with your etiquette, maybe even leadership, but rarely negotiation or con. I wouldn't penalize someone for carrying one, just because they are a large bonus socially. Heck you walk into a bar, and I expect an emotitoy is a great way to pick up dates. Not only are they cute, they provide great pick up lines.

As a hacker, I find them to be the best toy on the market. Once you equip one with a higher signal, a Retrans Unit, and Gecko Tips, you have a common market toy that can climb into places. Once there I can bounce signals off of it to hack short range stuff. I need to up his pilot though so that I can get the rating 6 ECCM to help me get past those wi-fi inhibiting areas. And a little packet of C12 to blow him up if he ever gets caught. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.