Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Site Overhaul, (Mine)
knasser
post Mar 23 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #1

Shadow Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,636

Just wanted to announce that I've given my site a bit of an overhaul and a stylish new look ( I await with dread the news that it doesn't work in Internet Explorer). There's not much in the way of new content, though there is a new entry in the C.L.U.E. files.

The main thing is that it's now set up for me to add new material to it more easily and I'll be doing so in the near future. There's also an RSS feed to be notified of updates to the site.

It's amazing what you can do learn from the Internet, eh?

Peace,

-Khadim.

p.s. Link in sig for those who fail their Perception rolls.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 23 2008, 01:52 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 22 2008, 09:44 PM) *
( I await with dread the news that it doesn't work in Internet Explorer).

dunno if it works properly for IE 7, but IE 6 doesn't like the links across the top (by hovering i can tell they're the CLUE files, shadowrun, home, D&D, and Art & Fiction =P

in my browser, at least, all i see are gray boxes though.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 23 2008, 01:58 AM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

IE7 works better than that, but the hover-over function doesn't place the subcategories in a good area ... they over-write the main title.

Otherwise, it looks quite nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
vladski
post Mar 23 2008, 02:06 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,176

It looks great and works absolutely perfectly with Firefox 2 running on XP Home.

Vlad

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Mar 23 2008, 02:08 AM
Post #5

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

nice site. PDFs are nice. works OK in Firefox 2.0.0.12

+Quote Post
Trobon
post Mar 23 2008, 02:11 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 8,369

Good to see the site back up. It looks great and is working great on Firefox, but you've already been told that.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 23 2008, 02:23 AM
Post #7

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Trobon @ Mar 23 2008, 02:11 AM) *
Good to see the site back up. It looks great and is working great on Firefox, but you've already been told that.

Yes. But I like to be told it again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm not a web-designer and this is my attempt at doing a "real" site. It even has PHP code in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I had been warned that I was going to have problems with Internet Explorer, though. I don't actually have it on this machine. Thanks for the explanations of what's wrong. I'll see if I can find out what the problem is.

I wonder if the problem in IE6 is due to using PNG graphics. I now seem to remember being told that IE doesn't like them? PNGs are what I used for the top menu, so it might explain the grey boxes. The positioning of the pop-up menus, I'm not sure what to do about, but the contents can all be accessed by just using the main link and selecting an option from the main category page rather than the top menu.

Thanks,

-Khadim.

+Quote Post
Trobon
post Mar 23 2008, 02:29 AM
Post #8

Target

Actually I spoke too soon. The short questionair to help in character creation seems to not be working right.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 23 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #9

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Trobon @ Mar 23 2008, 02:29 AM) *
Actually I spoke too soon. The short questionair to help in character creation seems to not be working right.

Thanks. The file was hiding.

I found it and put it back.

-K.

+Quote Post
cx2
post Mar 23 2008, 03:02 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,802

Works well enough under IE for those of us who are eye ball impaired, whether it was intentional or accidental the titles on the graphics are much appreciated.

And when I say eye ball impaired, let me put it this way - all I am using right now is a pair of headphones and a keyboard. I don't currently have either a mouse or monitor attached to my PC.

+Quote Post
Trobon
post Mar 23 2008, 03:05 AM
Post #11

Target

Ok I decided to go systematically through the files to see if anything else was missing and these are the notes I made:

No Clue Files:
-File Number 10 has a title “File Number 1�

Shadowrun:
-Was there supposed to be an NPC roster 5?

D&D:
No Problems

Art & Fiction:
No Problems

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 23 2008, 03:16 AM
Post #12

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (cx2 @ Mar 23 2008, 03:02 AM) *
Works well enough under IE for those of us who are eye ball impaired, whether it was intentional or accidental the titles on the graphics are much appreciated.

And when I say eye ball impaired, let me put it this way - all I am using right now is a pair of headphones and a keyboard. I don't currently have either a mouse or monitor attached to my PC.

It was something that I considered actually - hence the "alt" text. But I had no idea whether I was doing a good job on accessibility or not. And the colour scheme should also work well for those who are partially sighted, at least according to a web page that I read.

If you have any suggestions for anything else I can do to keep the site accessible, let me know. It wont be filling up with Flash menu systems, that's for sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Khadim.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 23 2008, 03:24 AM
Post #13

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Trobon @ Mar 23 2008, 03:05 AM) *
No Clue Files:
-File Number 10 has a title “File Number 1�

Fixed. Thank you.

QUOTE (Trobon @ Mar 23 2008, 03:05 AM) *
Shadowrun:
-Was there supposed to be an NPC roster 5?

It actually exists... on my hard drive. Each roster has a theme and number 5 details the psychologically disturbed. It needs a little tidying up, though. Roster 7 is tentatively called 'The Mighty' but only has one character at present - a cyberzombie. Roster 8 is nearly complete and consists of three different dragons with which to menace the PCs. I'll hopefully be posting all of these at some point. Getting the fiction up there is my current priority however.

Thanks for the extensive check - much appreciated.

-Khadim.

+Quote Post
Trobon
post Mar 23 2008, 03:34 AM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 22 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Fixed. Thank you.

It actually exists... on my hard drive. Each roster has a theme and number 5 details the psychologically disturbed. It needs a little tidying up, though. Roster 7 is tentatively called 'The Mighty' but only has one character at present - a cyberzombie. Roster 8 is nearly complete and consists of three different dragons with which to menace the PCs. I'll hopefully be posting all of these at some point. Getting the fiction up there is my current priority however.

Thanks for the extensive check - much appreciated.

-Khadim.

cool then. Well then there's nothing else I can find. Again, great site.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Mar 23 2008, 03:56 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 22 2008, 08:58 PM) *
IE7 works better than that, but the hover-over function doesn't place the subcategories in a good area ... they over-write the main title.

Otherwise, it looks quite nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Well with FireFox 3.0 Add Block Plus and No Script the hover-over function does the same thing to me.

WMS

+Quote Post
cx2
post Mar 23 2008, 06:09 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,802

Thankyou for considering the accessibility aspects. Whilst I probably can't access the "hover over" stuff, truth is I can pretty much get about fine without it. Overall it will be perfectly usable so long as it isn't cluttered up with rubbish like the aforementioned flash, and there is basic alt text on graphical links. HTML headings are a bonus for some packages too, since the software which is primarily speech based often has a hotkey to "jump to next/previous heading".

Incidentally in case you're actually curious how it turns out there is a rather nice free reader package at www.nvda-project.org, I personally use a commercial one I received when I did a course but I use NVDA as my backup reader for when things go screwy. NVDA also has received a substantial grant from Mozilla which can only be a good thing. It is however Windows only right now, though I believe there is a reader built into Mac OS from Tiger onward and recent versions of Gnome on Linux.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 23 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #17

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Mar 23 2008, 03:56 AM) *
Well with FireFox 3.0 Add Block Plus and No Script the hover-over function does the same thing to me.

WMS

That's very odd. There's no javascript in the site at all. The hover over is merely a way of making the top menu links switch to a highlighted image when you pass over them. The technique's certainly not my own invention - I copied it off the O'Reilly site so I imagined it was a pretty common technique. Oh well, nobody misses much by not having them, it probably just looks odd.

The only image on the site that has any intrinsic value is the "Oops" left-column image on the Clue page. It's a snail on a road looking at these two big headlamps coming toward it. It's kind of sad, but it sums up what the CLUE files, nicely (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

On the subject of which, people should feel free to email me some more as there's plenty of space for them. They don't *have* to be from Shadowrun games - any RPG will do.

@cx2 Thanks for the pointers, re: accessibility. I'm not a webdesigner, but I am in a position to make sure that some people consider these things when they put together sites for me. So I'll be able to use this tech to ensure they're doing their jobs right. Cheers!

-Khadim.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Mar 23 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Looks good; the new navigation interface will take some getting used to, but I have no complaints.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 9 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #19

Shadow Cartographer

My housemate just deleted my website! :banghead:

I think I've got everything restored but if anyone finds anything missing, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Khadim.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Apr 9 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #20

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The NOCLUES link results in "500 Internal Server Error" for me.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 9 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #21

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Ryu @ Apr 9 2008, 10:41 PM) *
The NOCLUES link results in "500 Internal Server Error" for me.

Well there's an error log on my webserver. I don't understand what any of it means. I'll beat my housemate until he fixes it. (For non-violent definitions of "beat")

Thanks for pointing it out.

-K.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 9 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 10 2008, 08:12 AM) *
I'll beat my housemate until he fixes it. (For non-violent definitions of "beat")

Some non-violent definitions have interesting connotations as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Apr 9 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 9 2008, 03:57 PM) *

I think I've got everything restored but if anyone finds anything missing, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Khadim.

Well one could employ/use a leather with metal tip cat o nine tails, wear a leather harness/clothes, beat in sync with Maschisim Tango
risque **
Tango Youtube video
risque *
Tango Farscape Sytle
rique none
Tom Lehrer Tango

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

WMS

+Quote Post
Matsci
post Apr 11 2008, 01:31 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 9 2008, 08:57 PM) *

Thanks,

-Khadim.

Pretty much every pdf Shadowrun gives me an Error

Not Found
The requested URL /content/shadowrun/knasser_house_rules.pdf was not found on this server.

Ect.

I'm Running Firefox 3 Beta 5 on a Vista Rig, so that might be the problem

Edit: Nope, the D&D stuff works fine. Art is a dead link though

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Apr 11 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #25

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

- The NOCLUES section works now.

- I get file not found errors on the pdfs, too. Setup is XP Pro and Firefox 2.0.0.13, usually no problems. Wrong directory or missing files?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.