Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spell combos, two spells worth splitting dicepool
Riley37
post Mar 24 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,319

There are many situations in which a mage would cast a spell in two directions at once, splitting her dicepool, eg the BBB example of using Levitate on multiple people all at once.

Got any combinations of two different spells that would fit a certain situation?

My starting example is using Phantasm and Invisibility so that just as you go invisible, you simultaneously create a decoy phantasm of yourself. You run away, while the phantasm stays there (or goes a different direction), and your opponents attack the phantasm, unless they get a good enough perception roll to spot the illusion. Bait and switch!

I'm writing a PC with the Trickster mentor and Spellcasting specialized in Illusions, so his dice pool for Illusions is large enough to split and still get decent results. Combos are extra plausible within a specialization of Spellcasting, preferably one that stacks with a mentor bonus.

If both spells are sustained, then further actions are at -4 DP; in the above example, running away should involve no actions that require checks. The Invis/Phantasm combo could be bad if your escape route requires Climbing or Gymnastics.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 24 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I saw a combo use of magic fingers and analyze device used in an attempt to disarm a bomb. Didn't work, but with magic fingers in use, the mage was out of the blast radius. I frequently saw Clairvoyance and Clairaudience cast together so I made a custom spell called Clairsentience which gives you sight and sound in one go. I don't remember the drain value off the top of my head, though.

+Quote Post
fool
post Mar 24 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

orgy and tidal wave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Mar 24 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

Double or triple casting astral static is great if your mage carries around a gun and there are no adepts in the group.

+Quote Post
Larme
post Mar 24 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

Head explody combo: Influence a person to do something and simultaneously Influence them not to do it, and their head will go "pop!" Well not really, but still (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Mar 24 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (fool @ Mar 24 2008, 06:46 PM) *
orgy and tidal wave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

rather, orgasm + fashion

+Quote Post
fulcra
post Mar 25 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 15,742

Actually i have often found myself contemplating casting double stun bolts at the same target. With 14 casting dice, it actually seems better to cast two Force 6 stun bolts at an enemy than a single Force 6 stun bolt with all your dice. You still have 7 dice per spell, which should still out-do anyone's will power, unless they have magical protection of some sort.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Mar 25 2008, 03:29 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

I would rather do a Force 11 Stun Bolt with all my dice, instead. If it hits chances are they are down for the count and the DV is only 4, same as the double cast Stun Bolt and more likely to land.

Chris

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Mar 25 2008, 04:25 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

Mask and Mask, swap your image with someone in a crowd and let them take the heat.

+Quote Post
fulcra
post Mar 26 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 15,742

QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Mar 24 2008, 08:29 PM) *
I would rather do a Force 11 Stun Bolt with all my dice, instead. If it hits chances are they are down for the count and the DV is only 4, same as the double cast Stun Bolt and more likely to land.

It's a rollplaying thing. I don't like to overcast. It's kinda like deciding to 'maybe' stab yourself in the leg with a knife. Would you be able to do it, especially if there were an option not to?? Plus, our GM has also stated that overcasting should be done with care as it's more susceptible to mana spikes or other unfortunate random occurances, since you're trying to wield power that is beyond your normal ability to control, which I agree with. It keeps a lid on rampant overcasting. It's becomes more of a desperation ploy.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Mar 26 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #11

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Riley37 @ Mar 24 2008, 07:56 AM) *
If both spells are sustained, then further actions are at -4 DP; in the above example, running away should involve no actions that require checks. The Invis/Phantasm combo could be bad if your escape route requires Climbing or Gymnastics.
No, but an Infiltration test might be in order.
Guard1: "He's running that way!"
Guard2: "Then why did that trash can just fall over and curse?"

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Mar 25 2008, 12:25 AM) *
Mask and Mask, swap your image with someone in a crowd and let them take the heat.
Devious.

Speaking of double casting illusions. Somebody once suggested, I think it was here, framing someone using a Mask and a Physical Mask at the same time. Take someone on your team, Physical Mask to look like someone/something naughty at moderate Force, then regular Mask on top of that at higher Force to look like the mark's husband/girlfriend/whatever. They will see the stronger Mask and thus talk and flirt as they normally would with a loved one, but the camera you've got recording them will only see the Physical Mask and get them in a great deal of trouble. Meanwhile, no one saw your real face.
Dang, I wish I could remember who came up with that, it's bloody brilliant. Too bad it wasn't me.

+Quote Post
jklst14
post Mar 26 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #12

CosaNostra Deliverator

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,034

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Mar 24 2008, 04:24 PM) *
rather, orgasm + fashion

To really mess with your target, Orgasm + Agony. Or even weirder, Orgasm + Bugs.

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Mar 26 2008, 01:23 PM) *
Somebody once suggested, I think it was here, framing someone using a Mask and a Physical Mask at the same time.

I remember that too. It was definitely here on Dumpshock. Don't remember who suggested it though.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Mar 26 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

Yeah, but agony won't get them thrown on the sex-offender list as the finishing touch. Fashion will. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Mar 26 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #14

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Mar 26 2008, 04:46 PM) *
Yeah, but agony won't get them thrown on the sex-offender list as the finishing touch. Fashion will. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

The "I was mind-controlled at the time" defense must be why no one with an expensive lawyer ever goes to jail in SR.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.