IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> armored tshirt anyone?, and a female model no less ;)
hobgoblin
post Mar 25 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/25/nihon-u...ke-a-superhero/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spike
post Mar 25 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

Hrm... I may just buy one for the hell of it.

What can I say, I'm an impulse shopper.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 25 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 25 2008, 04:24 PM) *

What would you rate that armored t-shirt?

I'm thinking B/I rating of 0/3. It's strong enough to stop a knife thrust and a knife has a damage code of (Str/2 + 1). Let's assume that a standard modern day Japanese street slot has a Str of 2, Agility 2, and close combat 1 (knows how to swing a knife, baseball bat, and punch somebody... it's not that hard). The victim doesn't know close combat and has an agility of 2... therefore defaults to 1 die to dodge. Most likely the victim will fail. This should net the stabber 1 hit. Knife does 2 damage + 1 from the net hit... DV of 3 and doesn't penetrate... therefore B/I rating of 0/3

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 25 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

that is . . do they come in black too? O.o
if so, i will have to ask an business associate and buddy of mine to bring one of those back for me, when he goes there next time o.O

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Mar 25 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Oh for christ's sake. Stuff like this and the soda machine disguises are always coming out of Japan. This is a perfect example of what happens when people try to deal with crime with heavy doses of fantasy rather than anything grounded in reality.

+Quote Post
StormWatcher
post Mar 25 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 13,287

i think a chest like that already comes with a 2 impact armor......

jokes aside..
guess i can't stab japanese tourists anymore =p

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 25 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

let the americans wear their heavy, clunky, uncomfortable vests with plates . .
and let the tiny japanese wear something that won't turn them into a turtle that's been turned onto it's back if they fall over ^^
but yes, that vending machine disguise is . . silly at best . . i'm just waiting for the out-cry, when a woman complains about being molested/groped by someone because she was wearing one of those made to look like one ot the japanese panty-vending-machines and somebody tried to steal some from the vending machine . .

+Quote Post
b1ffov3rfl0w
post Mar 25 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,329

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Mar 25 2008, 06:38 PM) *
Oh for christ's sake. Stuff like this and the soda machine disguises are always coming out of Japan. This is a perfect example of what happens when people try to deal with crime with heavy doses of fantasy rather than anything grounded in reality.

Japan has a long tradition of crazy-ass inventions. Or maybe the US has a long tradition of knowing about every crazy-ass invention or trend to come out of Japan. But really, a lightweight stab vest isn't that weird.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Mar 26 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Well I think the "American" vests are designed to stop... you know, bullets.

I'm also reading that it isn't very resistant to "sharp points" a feature I feel comfortable saying is standard with most knives. So Stormwatch you can continue to stab Japanese tourists, just not slice at their torso.

Of course this is in light of the 8 person "run by knife attack" that just went down on the mainland. Not even really sure how it works but they guy killed one person and put several others in the hospital.

And good lord? Almost 600 US?

+Quote Post
fool
post Mar 26 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

I was going to point out the stabby part too.
However, most knife fighters agree that stabbing is definitely not the way to go because it leaves you open for counter attacks. Slashing is totes where its at.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Mar 26 2008, 01:03 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

I mean it really isn't useless it's just... something I would pay 500 dollars for.

This might be flame bait but... bullet proof vests, still pretty good at stopping slicing attacks right? Mine is made of some damn heavy material and even without plates I feel comfortable that something trying to cut me open is going to have a hard time of it. I guess a "pointy blade" good penetrate but as stated, that's not the prefered way of going about things.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Mar 26 2008, 01:05 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Oh come on, we're talking about stabbing clueless Japanese consumers with too much money, not dueling with Indigo Montoya. I don't think that the knife wielding criminal is going to think, "No, I musn't stab, lest I eat yon riposte!"

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 26 2008, 01:07 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Stabbing is generally how you attack a person's torso; the short sleeve shirt isn't terribly useful, and a soft vest only offers minimal protection for stabbing attacks (it's basically just a piece of restricting, tough fabric at that point). The long sleeve version of this shirt, if it's really effective, is exceptionally useful, though. In a knife fight, your forearms are going to get slashed at and probably cut up pretty badly, while stabbing attacks to the arms are not common. I wouldn't pay $500 for one because I find it easier to just avoid fights, but it's not a bad concept.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Mar 26 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

I used to wear a stab vest for work. It wasn't too bulky, and it was supposed to stop like 80 pnds of stabbing pressure. Supposedly really good against slashings though. I never counted on it though, and I wouldn't count on that shirt at all.

When you took the armor out of the canvas, it looked like a quarter inch thick malleable metallic thing....

I have no idea how well ballistic vests stack up to slashings....

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Mar 26 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #15

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Apparantly this shirt doesn't do that well against 'pointed weapons'.

Which to me says it's slash and cut resistant but not stab resistant.

Might be okay vs a knife stab, as at least part of a thrust with a knife involves cutting, but an ice pick probably will slide right through.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 26 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

i wonder how it would fare against a katana O.o

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Mar 26 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

For those who are inquiring about the stab resistance of ballistic grade kevlar vests: I have heard that a number of British police officers were killed by knife wounds that penetrated their bullet-proof vests, so I would assume that they do not impart sufficient protection.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Mar 26 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

"ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene fiber."

Sounds a lot like Spectrafiber or Dyneema. Probably the best material widely available for soft armor.

Protective vests are made of several layers of material, this sounds like it is just one of those layers, made into a shirt.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Mar 26 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Why not just get a chainmail shirt from ebay? Wouldn't that provide superior protection?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 26 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

ever worn such a thing? they are hella heavy and uncomfortable to wear too . .
your hairs getting stuck between the links for example . . try and pull out one hair and then think about having that all of the time . . and you will not get through a single metal detector with something like that . .

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 26 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 26 2008, 06:15 AM) *
Might be okay vs a knife stab, as at least part of a thrust with a knife involves cutting, but an ice pick probably will slide right through.

A knife thrust will probably puncture easily enough to be quite dangerous. While I'd be very curious to see some NIJ style testing, I would not expect this to provide significant protection against a stabbing attack.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 26 2008, 06:47 AM) *
i wonder how it would fare against a katana O.o

Probably not well. A sword is a very different magnitude of force from a knife.

QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Mar 26 2008, 07:10 AM) *
"ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene fiber."

Sounds a lot like Spectrafiber or Dyneema. Probably the best material widely available for soft armor.

Protective vests are made of several layers of material, this sounds like it is just one of those layers, made into a shirt.

I doubt it. Spectra and Dyneema do not provide significant stabbing protection, just like pretty much all current soft ballistic armor. A single sheet of the stuff cut into a shirt would be useless.

+Quote Post
masterofm
post Mar 26 2008, 07:04 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 15,640

Kevlar is meant to catch bullets and does not work as well against knives. On a side not I like how it said "watch out for archers on the roof." It made me think of Troll bows = )

+Quote Post
b1ffov3rfl0w
post Mar 26 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,329

er, you're supposed to wear some kind of undershirt with mail. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif)

+Quote Post
Trobon
post Mar 26 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 8,369

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Mar 25 2008, 02:49 PM) *
What would you rate that armored t-shirt?

I'm thinking B/I rating of 0/3. It's strong enough to stop a knife thrust and a knife has a damage code of (Str/2 + 1). Let's assume that a standard modern day Japanese street slot has a Str of 2, Agility 2, and close combat 1 (knows how to swing a knife, baseball bat, and punch somebody... it's not that hard). The victim doesn't know close combat and has an agility of 2... therefore defaults to 1 die to dodge. Most likely the victim will fail. This should net the stabber 1 hit. Knife does 2 damage + 1 from the net hit... DV of 3 and doesn't penetrate... therefore B/I rating of 0/3

They said that they've seen it turn aside some viscous knife strikes. I think that this is from normal people not the Japanese gangsters it was designed for so I would guess they had a strength of 3 and agility of 3. The Knife does 3 damage +1 from a hit and has a DV of 4 with no penetration. I think it would probably be 0/4 armor rating.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 27 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Trobon @ Mar 26 2008, 07:31 PM) *
They said that they've seen it turn aside some viscous knife strikes. I think that this is from normal people not the Japanese gangsters it was designed for so I would guess they had a strength of 3 and agility of 3. The Knife does 3 damage +1 from a hit and has a DV of 4 with no penetration. I think it would probably be 0/4 armor rating.

The reason that I went with the average being 2 instead of 3 is because I thought that 3 was the average for 'Runners and not for John & Jane Doe Street Slot.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.