> Yet another ammo type out there
Shockwave_IIc
post Dec 5 2003, 10:05 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,499

Nasty NEW bullet

Read this, shocking. No doubt raygun knows/ would like this.

Side note how do i rename the link?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 5 2003, 10:10 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

<url=http://wherever.com>This Is The Link</url>

Just like that, replacing the <>s with []s.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 5 2003, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Bloody hell.

As to fixing the link, I'd suggest hitting the edit button and naming the link: Nasty New Bullet. Ouch.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Pavlov
post Dec 5 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 5,820

He said he feels qualified to assess a bullet’s effects, having trained as a special-operations medic and having shot people with various types of ammo, including the standard-issue green tip and the Black Hills Mk 262, favored by spec-ops troops.

This is one of the most amusing sentances I've read in a long time.

Damn, that thing sounds nasty. There were some references (maybe in Fields of Fire or Cybertechnology?) to explosive APDS ammo in the Shadowrun universe. If we can accept for a moment that APDS ammo somehow fits in a SMG, I wonder if that would be the best translation for this round.

EDIT: As interesting as the article is, the comments attached to it are worth reading too--it might not be the wonder bullet after all.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 5 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #5

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

Holy... Ouch! That's one reason why I'll never join the Armed Forces. Fragging new bullet technology...

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Dec 5 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Jeezus look at what it does to that slab of meat!

This is really just a link to one of the pages linked from that page but I missed it the first time so I think others might have...

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 5 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

Jesus Christ! Mother of God!

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Dec 5 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

I suppose the question is: How good is it at penetrating kevlar? AFAIK normal bullets can be stopped by a kavlar vest, why would the fact that these bullets are made out of blended metals make them fare any better?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 5 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Hamburger, anyone?

Kevlar is better than, say, nothing when dealing with most small-caliber bullets. I don't know enough about this "blended metal" to know if it could penetrate...I mean, I don't think the wounds are caused by hydrostatic pressure bursting the flesh, and certainyl the penetration at normal speeds wouldn't do it. There's no explosive tip. It does have a smaller diameter tip, but that shouldn't make this much of a difference.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 5 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

This round was discussed here some time ago. Lemme dig up the link for ya...

Here.

It's not as good as it's made to sound. It's just hype, sounds an awful lot like the "teflon coated copkiller bullet" syndrome. It doesn't penetrate armor any better than existing dedicated armor piercing rounds. Currently there doesn't seem to be any objective research into how the bullet really work, so be critical when reading that stuff.

Lilt, NATO standard 5.56x45mm FMJ rounds are not stopped by kevlar vests at short ranges. I'd be very surprised if this round was -- that would mean it penetrated soft body armor far worse than FMJ rounds.

The large wound cavities are supposedly created because the bullet fragments as soon as it hits something soft. At best, if it works exactly like the makers claim it does, it might work like an armor piercing penetrator when hitting something hard (like armor) and then fragment when hitting flesh.

Obviously, the technology has several downsides, as discussed in the thread I linked. If it didn't, everyone would be using it...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 5 2003, 11:45 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

If this really is as great as it sounds, then just add the equivalent of a few layers of drywall to body armor. Boom, it no longer penetrates. I'm not particularly familiar with drywall, but I'm pretty sure that'd be lighter than plates to stop conventional rounds.

~J

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Dec 6 2003, 12:45 AM
Post #12

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

I don't think so. Hard armor plates such as in the US military flak gear are generally made of titanium, as far as I recall. Drywall's an assload heavier than titanium. I don't remember exactly what it's made of, but it looks and feels like compressed chalk dust - i.e. it's dense as hell.

Plus, an average sheet of drywall is 3/4s of an inch to an inch thick. That's some pretty thick 'additive' plating to an already heavy vest.

I'm not impugning the idea... just impugning the use of drywall specifically.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 6 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #13

Running Target

And drywall cracks really easily. I think it's a variant of concrete.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Dec 6 2003, 01:18 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

They use it to make walls...It's pretty sturdy, but you can punch through it. I can.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 6 2003, 01:20 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Or hit it too hard with your knee. Or lean back too hard.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 6 2003, 01:37 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Actually, if you need to stop that kind of bullet, put 2+ inches of ballistic gelatin outside your armored vest. The bullet will fragment in the gelatin, and then hit the vest in pieces. Result: Zero penetration. And ballistic gelatin is pretty darn light compared to any body armor material.

+Quote Post
Hero
post Dec 6 2003, 01:40 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

This ammunition brings a new meaning to fragged, looks like what a hollow-point shotgun slug would do. I figure this ammunition where it to be put into SR terms would probably have the following effects: Increase damage level by one, 1/2 ballistic rating.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 6 2003, 01:55 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

The whole of the end part of the article describes how the president of sales and manufacturing of the firm that makes these rounds is trying to say that "Dude, our rounds are totally sweet", while objective testing says "Well, they have some potential, but they aren't very special".

And frankly, I'm more willing to believe the objective testers than the PR guy. Automatically believing what this guy Bulmer says about the rounds is like automatically believing what Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf said about the war in Iraq.

So, for the time being, I wouldn't say this ammunition brings a new meaning to fragged. Not considering how completely you can already mess up a person with the kinds of bullets around.

If you really think this round rocks and you want it for SR (assuming of course then that these rounds aren't the standard even though they rock so much), +2 Power with -25% Ranges or +1 DL/½ armor with -50% Ranges sounds rather good, with Misc Weird Shit Effects, like not being able to shoot through anything non-solid.

Also, I find it hilarious that the pro-RBCD guys are saying that shooting the rounds into gelatin won't work because ballistic gelatin is not enough like flesh, but somehow artists' clay works...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 6 2003, 02:57 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i suppose it's possible that the round has better fragmentation qualities against a 98-degree target than a 36-degree one--but on the other hand, what happens if you use the round in cold weather? are they going to start issuing seperate temperate and cold-weather ammo, the way they do with BDUs? (that's rhetorical.)

i do want to see the test results that claim the round will punch through steel, but shatter into flesh.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Dec 6 2003, 03:25 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

I'm still snickering at the lethal ass shot...

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Dec 6 2003, 05:40 AM
Post #21

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

I'm more interested in those intelligent rounds that've been coming out of Mexico lately. Apparently, they're capable of piercing most body armors by making "decisions" at impact on how to deform.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Dec 6 2003, 05:46 AM
Post #22

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

My advice on this matter would be not to believe everything you read. Exploding meat does not necessarily equal penetrated armor and then exploded meat. Entertaining videos of exploding meat and other fun stuff can be found here.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Dec 6 2003, 06:15 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

Did I miss something, or are they sellign what amounts to a "glaser" round for rifles? I'm not sure what gives it the improve penetration on hard materials, but body armors aren't generally hard materials anyhow, so I don;t see it being any more useful in SR terms than a normal glaser. Maybe it would work better when you want to penetrate certain barrier types (/action twirl finger).

Anyhow, with SR's (thankfully optional) "SOTA" rules, these bullets would be incable of harming a fly if you were to buy them now and save them until 2063. ;)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 6 2003, 06:35 AM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

SOTA: Running to Stand Still. Coming to gaming tables worldwide.

~J

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 6 2003, 12:39 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Mongoose, they're definitely not Glaser rounds. The actual metal supposedly fragments when it hits flesh, it doesn't have any separate material inside the jacket for that effect. And it's supposed to stay intact against anything solid, which if true would give it decent armor penetration properties.

They're saying it stays intact against anything solid, which soft body armor is. But I wonder if it's even been tested against body armor anywhere. At least I haven't seen any reference in any of the articles, even the ones where LeMas is going on about how überkewl these rounds are.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.