Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ritual Tracking, Bringing it back?
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 26 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #1

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Anyone have rules to bring back ritual tracking? How about the reverse ritual tracking from that SOTA book? I always thought those were terrific rules, and a good way to make ritual sorcery less the completely illegal boom-dropping skill that it is now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 26 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

See page 185 under Astral Tracking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Following an astral link requires an Extended Assensing + Intuition (5) Test (interval: 1 hour), modified as noted on the Astral Tracking Modifiers table (p. 184).

This has led some to notice that if you can get your Ritual Spellcasting completed in 1 hour, you're effectively invulnerable to tracking. Even 2 hours might be a good window since you'll get tracked back at about the same moment your spell potentially obliterates your target.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 26 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Okay, I'm just blind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/embarrassed.gif)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 26 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #4

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 26 2008, 12:54 PM) *
Okay, I'm just blind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/embarrassed.gif)

Well, you are eyeless.

*ba-dam ching!*

+Quote Post
ToreadorVampire
post Mar 26 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #5

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,650

And on a related note: A certain prison that is being used in my campaign at the moment has the following practice:

If a convict escapes, a ritual team picks up the convict's DNA sample (taken as soon as they are transferred in, and kept in cold storage) and casts a clairvoyance at them via the material link. As soon as they have a fix on their location, they ritually stunbolt them into the ground, and dispatch a recovery team to go pick 'em up. In the case of certain inmates (high-risk ones) they don't use stunbolt, favouring something a bit more lethal.

Don't try to escape without stealing/destroying your filed DNA sample (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I wonder how my team will manage it ...

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Mar 26 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Mar 26 2008, 09:35 AM) *
This has led some to notice that if you can get your Ritual Spellcasting completed in 1 hour, you're effectively invulnerable to tracking. Even 2 hours might be a good window since you'll get tracked back at about the same moment your spell potentially obliterates your target.

That seems quite foolish. I remember when they were presenting the fluff for sympathetic linking in SOTA2063, the guy noticed the mana building around him and instantly projected and was there. Maybe another example of fluff not matching the rules.

QUOTE (ToreadorVampire @ Mar 26 2008, 02:19 PM) *
And on a related note: A certain prison that is being used in my campaign at the moment has the following practice:

If a convict escapes, a ritual team picks up the convict's DNA sample (taken as soon as they are transferred in, and kept in cold storage) and casts a clairvoyance at them via the material link. As soon as they have a fix on their location, they ritually stunbolt them into the ground, and dispatch a recovery team to go pick 'em up. In the case of certain inmates (high-risk ones) they don't use stunbolt, favouring something a bit more lethal.

This reminds me of some things that were said in the Lone Star sourcebook.

When you join LS, you have to give a mandatory "pound of flesh" which is stored in a secure vault. Some of the mages commenting said that the astral link is worthless after a week, month tops, no matter how well preserved, since it was the magic nature of it that mattered, not the DNA sequence. Has this changed? Can anyone point me to some more recent fluff in which this has changed?

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Mar 26 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

QUOTE (ToreadorVampire @ Mar 26 2008, 07:19 PM) *

Don't try to escape without stealing/destroying your filed DNA sample (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I wonder how my team will manage it ...
Why don't they simply stunbolt him from the beginning? Why do they even waste a clairvoyance-spell? The Astral Tracker (in most cases a spirit) will find the track anyway.

+Quote Post
ToreadorVampire
post Mar 30 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 15,650

QUOTE (Particle_Beam @ Mar 27 2008, 12:53 AM) *
Why don't they simply stunbolt him from the beginning? Why do they even waste a clairvoyance-spell? The Astral Tracker (in most cases a spirit) will find the track anyway.

Oh, that's just about finding out where the prisoner is, so they can dispatch a crew to retrieve them - sure they can cast that stunbolt without knowing where they are, but they need to get the body back.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.