Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Genetech
Digital Heroin
post Dec 6 2003, 10:55 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,302

Alright, time for an open forum on genetics and the Awakened. With genetic alterations done before birth, should they really impact a person's Bio Index? The BI is meant to reflect changes from a person's normal DNA, but if the alterations are made pre-birth, aren't said alterations now part of their normal DNA?

My take is that there would be a BI cost, but it would not have an impact on the Magic attribute, since these changes were present at birth. I don't see characters as Awakened from birth, it has to manifest. Sure, they may manifest early, but not right from birth (fireballing the doctor'd be funny though).

That's just my spin... comments? Death threats?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 6 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Considering Genetech creates a Bioware Index, I'd have give it the same effects to the Awakened as bioware, damn the time it's done.

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Dec 6 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

IMO it still screws with the kids DNA, but there are less cells to screw with. That's why it takes half the time and it costs 25% less NuYen when it is done in utero (p.25, SOTA). Personally, I'd leave the Bio Index cost the same.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Dec 7 2003, 01:08 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

You could argue the cost could be lower since the developing body/cells/etc would be forming and growing with those alterations in place, there by adapting to them much easier and incorporating them a little better probably.

Although it should still affect magic, probably with no change either way...

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Dec 7 2003, 01:14 AM
Post #5

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,700

That might make an interesting idea for an edge... though youd have to give it a high cost: high Bio Index Tolerance. You could only take it once, but it would give the recipeint the ability to incorporate more genetech (their DNA being more "flexible" or soemthing).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 7 2003, 02:17 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the thing about genetics is, there's a whole side of it in SR that genetech can't touch--the metagenes. no amount of genetic alteration in the physical world can adjust the way metagenes work, which means there's always going to be a disconnect between the subject's physical and astral body.

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Dec 7 2003, 04:19 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

QUOTE (Prospero)
That might make an interesting idea for an edge... though youd have to give it a high cost: high Bio Index Tolerance. You could only take it once, but it would give the recipeint the ability to incorporate more genetech (their DNA being more "flexible" or soemthing).

Man & Machine lets you take surgery options as edges ... you could take Reduced Bio Index Cost and use the storyline that it was done through some cutting edge in utero technique.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.