IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Technomancer: System and Response, Do System and Response matter for a technomancer?
Xel
post Apr 7 2008, 01:36 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,804

I was looking through the rules for my new technomancer (yes, I'm probably going to play one of those... things) and I can't really see how System or Response are important for him. I know that Logic maps to System and Intuition maps to Response (for the Living Persona), but I don't see how those are important stats. Usually, response affects matrix init (which it still does), and limits System (System can't be greater than Response). System limits the rating of a program that can be run, max subscriptions, how many programs that can be run without affecting response, and a few other minor things.

For a technomancer, complex form ratings are limited by Resonance, not System. Running a bunch of complex forms at once doesn't affect Response. Resonance (not System) limits the rating of a complex form. Resonance can be as high as the rules allow - it isn't limited by Response like System is.

So I ask... Why are these important to a technomancer? I typically just assumed that all technomancers would want Logic 5 and Intuition 5, in large part to give their living persona 5's in the respective ratings... But this doesn't seem necessary. Can any of you enlighten me, or affirm my assumption here that they aren't too important for a technomancer?

--Xel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 7 2008, 01:51 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

response is used for a few specific tests (for example, reality filter or a matrix combat defense roll).

system is also used for a few tests, most notably resisting matrix damage.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Apr 7 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #3

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Those very few tests that remain are somewhat important. You can gimp System a bit if you are willing to thread Armor in Matrix Comat, but Matrix Initiative is (2*Intuition)+1 in your case, making Intuition = Resonance somewhat of a lower boundary on Intuition.

TM riggers need Response if they want to jump into drones instead of using the Command program.

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Apr 7 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

QUOTE (Ryu @ Apr 7 2008, 06:47 AM) *
TM riggers need Response if they want to jump into drones instead of using the Command program.

FYI you'll still need to upgrade drones Response, in order for them to keep up with you. Since it will use the minimum of the two responses for your dodge or maneuver.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 7 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #5

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Isn't your maximum number of complex forms known limited to Logic * 2? So there's another reason to have System higher

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Apr 7 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 7 2008, 09:54 AM) *
Isn't your maximum number of complex forms known limited to Logic * 2? So there's another reason to have System higher

Thats the primary reason to have high logic is for starting complex forms. Once in game though, Logic no longer limits your complex forms (though they are really expensive to get in game)

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Apr 7 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

CFs are a reason to have Logic higher - I freely admit that the result is higher System, but note that Logic can be higher than System.

One note on needing Response for Rigging: We do the same as Nightwalker (lower Response counts, IF it is ever an issue), but I can´t back that up with RAW. Seems to be a houserule.

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Apr 7 2008, 06:17 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ryu @ Apr 7 2008, 01:08 PM) *
One note on needing Response for Rigging: We do the same as Nightwalker (lower Response counts, IF it is ever an issue), but I can´t back that up with RAW. Seems to be a houserule.

Synner backed it, its supposed to be in the next erratta (Not specifically Technomancers). This is a case of communicating hardware, and a technomancer can't replace the hardware of a device with his attributes. So he's still limited by the device, just as hackers are.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.