Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for 3rd ed forums.
Shev
post Apr 12 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,949

So, I'm an old time SR player, but I haven't played in AGES. I've got most of my sourcebooks with me, and I'm looking to get back into the swing of things. The problem is, I've tried 4th edition, and I HATED it. Having shamans and mages work the exact same way? Bleh! Let alone the fact that Facebook has apparently taken over the future. (Constant broadcasting of profiles, anyone? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleepy.gif) )

In short, the cyberpunk element was fragged all to hell for me, and it doesn't seem like the magical sorts fared much better. Since these forums seem to have pretty much become 4th ed forums since I left last, does anyone know where I might find more 3rd ed focused forums? Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Apr 12 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

No! Don't go!!!! Stay here. I'll talk about 3ed with you! Feel free to ask questions. I'll help! (I don't like 4th much either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ) And everyone still KNOWS about 3ed rules, they'll help too.

But seriously, feel free to talk about 3ed, even if it's a post about purely 4th stuff, like technomancers. I do it all the time and haven't goeen flamed off the board yet ^-^

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 12 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

and with our derailment-quote, in a matter of single digit posts mosts topics aren't on topic but on some tangent there of anyway *g*
and yes, i too, don't like SR4 . . i just try to read the stuff to have somthing to discuss with others <.<

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Apr 12 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

I was slightly exaggerating (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) But, I will try to remember to tag my threads as SR3 from now on =\ Oh and, all of the old posts are still archived, so you can still look back through them for answers to previously discussed questions. (Btw, i really do try to only post on things that I actually know about or have something legit to add to the conversation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) )

+Quote Post
Shev
post Apr 12 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 12 2008, 01:19 PM) *
and yes, i too, don't like SR4 . . i just try to read the stuff to have somthing to discuss with others <.<

That's the heart of the problem for me, really. I mean, I've read (and run) 4th ed before, so I could discuss it...but really, it's 3rd I want to discuss. People are welcome to their technomancers and generic magicians, but I'd rather discuss things like new totems for shamans, what kind of cyber your sammy loves, or how to build a viable adept with only freefall and improved reflexes for powers (Imp reflexes 2 : 3 points. 12 levels of free fall: 3 points. "Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane!" *THUD* "IT'S A MIRACLE!")

TO be sure, there are general topic the apply to both editions, such as how to GM well, make a good storyline, etc. I still intend on checking these forums from time to time. But I want a place where I don't have to sift through a topic with that little "SR4" label to find a good discussion.

I swear I recall these boards having a separate forum for 3rd edition at one point...guess it's membership just got too low for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Apr 12 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Yeah, I remember that too. I just came back in the past week or so to find that the board was changed around. I think those sections went out with the new skin or something.

And yeah man, I've never actually gotten to play a freefall adept yet. I've thought about it a bunch of times though. But I'm not sure that Hilarious and Grand Entrances are enough to work with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 12 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Actually, in the past few years just before the format change, Dumpshock has had a SR4 section, obviously for discussion about SR4, and a Shadowrun section, which was for general discussion of the Shadowrun World, including conversations about other editions. Dumpshock has not had a specific SR3 section since SR4 was released, and one didn't exist before that event, as at that time there was only the general Shadowrun section. These two sections were combined when the forum got a face lift, but there is nothing barring people from discussing SR3 (or SR2 or SR1) here, other than themselves.

+Quote Post
Shev
post Apr 12 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 12 2008, 05:26 PM) *
Actually, in the past few years just before the format change, Dumpshock has had a SR4 section, obviously for discussion about SR4, and a Shadowrun section, which was for general discussion of the Shadowrun World, including conversations about other editions. Dumpshock has not had a specific SR3 section since SR4 was released, and one didn't exist before that event, as at that time there was only the general Shadowrun section. These two sections were combined when the forum got a face lift, but there is nothing barring people from discussing SR3 (or SR2 or SR1) here, other than themselves.

I think I'm just remember the Shadowrun forum, then.

And while no one's keeping people from discussing SR3...well, just browse through the history. You see posts tagged as SR4 or SR*, but almost no SR3.

I just want to know if there are any forums out there for old holdouts like me who want a set of forums dedicated to 3rd.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 12 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Don't let the little tags be your only guide. A lot of people just plain forget to use them, and there are a wealth of threads that existed prior to the tags being enabled.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 14 2008, 01:24 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

The flip side to that being that in a number of the threads that are tagged SR3, people just go ahead and talk SR4 anyway.

There's also the question of whether it's worth sifting through untagged threads in the hope that one of them will be talking about the right game.

We've got the SR3R project forum, if you're looking for some rule-oriented discussion (world discussion also occurs, but isn't the primary focus—I might add a general discussion area if there's interest). It's in a lull at the moment because I've had no time and no internet connection for most of the last month (I'm in Japan for a semester), but I've got some time set aside to review the discussions I've missed.

~J

+Quote Post
Shev
post Apr 14 2008, 01:35 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Heya Kage, good to see you again! Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 14 2008, 01:47 AM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 14 2008, 11:24 AM) *
The flip side to that being that in a number of the threads that are tagged SR3, people just go ahead and talk SR4 anyway.

Shrug. As also happens in the SR4-tagged (or any other) thread. Misunderstandings are quickly cleared up though, so I don't think it's that big of a deal that people (not necessarily directed toward you Kagetenshi) really need to keep complaining about it over and over again.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Apr 14 2008, 06:23 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (Shev @ Apr 12 2008, 02:48 PM) *
That's the heart of the problem for me, really. I mean, I've read (and run) 4th ed before, so I could discuss it...but really, it's 3rd I want to discuss. People are welcome to their technomancers and generic magicians, but I'd rather discuss things like new totems for shamans, what kind of cyber your sammy loves, or how to build a viable adept with only freefall and improved reflexes for powers (Imp reflexes 2 : 3 points. 12 levels of free fall: 3 points. "Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane!" *THUD* "IT'S A MIRACLE!")

Shev, I can totally relate. I find myself reading SR3 books as much if not more than SR4 books nowadays. It was just so ... complete. There were issues (Skills to be sure), but the way the rules fit with the flavor was just on another level. I do like the new Attribute + Skill system though, and am currently caught in the middle ground. I am currently working on SR3.5 and SR3.9, 3.5 is SR3 system with wireless matrix and some reduced costs, new gear. 3.9 is SR4 that actually pays some homage to its past (cyberdecks, but smaller, distinctly different magical traditions, conventional 10 damage boxes, revised armor and weapon damage codes). When I have things more worked out I will be posting it for review in the Community Projects. I am all for SR3 discussions whenever you want to have them, and Im sure youll find plenty of people on DS willing to chip in.

EDIT - completely forgot to respond to the Freefall. It is one of my favorite powers to daydream about. I have only once done an adept with some freefall and greatleap, but the idea of an adept falling from a 60floor building is just awesome!

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 13 2008, 09:24 PM) *
We've got the SR3R project forum, if you're looking for some rule-oriented discussion (world discussion also occurs, but isn't the primary focus—I might add a general discussion area if there's interest). It's in a lull at the moment because I've had no time and no internet connection for most of the last month (I'm in Japan for a semester), but I've got some time set aside to review the discussions I've missed.

Kagetenshi, youre back! I was wondering how SR3R was moving along. Have you compiled a PDF or list of all the changes?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 14 2008, 08:39 AM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

the problem with the adept concept of level 12 free fall is, that as far as i remember the power-level was capped by magic in SR3 too . . so you could not start for example with 12 points of mystical armor and then still stack more armor on top of it by wearing some and becoming more like a tank than the cybered up troll body monster . . and no such things as level 12 free fall to jump from a plane and not bother with a parachute either *g*
max power-level= magic attribute, so uncybered adept may start with level 6 mystical armor and level 6 free-fall, but not more and to get those higher he will have to initiate and rise his magica attribute . . not just buy adept power points and spend them i think @.@

edit: yeah, good to see you're still kickin . . how much weight did you lose in japan yet? *g*

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Apr 14 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Yeah sure, but it's freefall... It's not going to be completely game breaking or anything (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (I too have always wanted to but never gotten around to making a freefall adept). I would think there are at least a few GMs out there that wouldn't mind bending the rules on this one for the sake of awesome.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 14 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

if there were not this limitation, adepts would be seriously over-powered, but that would be more or less the only incentive to actually take the free-fall power, as you're either falling from too far up to have any benefit of the opwer or from too low to have need for the power . .
but still, i wanna see the face of the GM when i tell him:"oh? i am cornered? i think i'll just jump down several dozend floors to the ground and walk away smiling" ^^

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Apr 14 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

I mean it is only... what? 2 meters / level? and a story is about 3 meters... so you're looking at about 8 stories without damage. Pretty decent, but not game breaking i think. It's not like you can jump out of a plane or of the top of an Arcology.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 14 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

boy, if i ever have to get down from a building that is not at least some dozends of stories i will be happy . .
i think the smallest building i had to get down from was 12 stories up . . and that was only because it went 12 stories down below ground too <.< . .

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 17 2008, 06:58 AM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (nathanross @ Apr 14 2008, 02:23 AM) *
Kagetenshi, youre back! I was wondering how SR3R was moving along. Have you compiled a PDF or list of all the changes?

We've got the main book PDF, which includes some of the key changes. I believe Nezumi has been keeping lists of open questions and decided-on changes in relevant places.
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 14 2008, 04:39 AM) *
edit: yeah, good to see you're still kickin . . how much weight did you lose in japan yet? *g*

Actually, I gained two kilos. Don't ask me how, I'm as confused as you are. That may change now that the family vacation's over and I'm bicycling a kilometer so I can catch a train to someplace from which I walk two kilometers to get to the university, then doing it all the other way around in the evening four days out of every week, though…

~J

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 17 2008, 07:00 AM
Post #20

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Good to see ya, Kage.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:50 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.