Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adept Power: Improved Reflexes
IQ Zero
post Apr 14 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,887

I'm sorry, I've been trying to figure out exactly what the phrasing for this power means.

Improved Reflexes
Cost: Variable, see below
This power increases the speed at which you react, just like wired reflexes. For each level, you receive +1 die to Reaction (this also affects Initiative) and 1 extra Initiative Pass. The maximum rating of Improved Reflexes is 3, and the increase cannot be combined with technological or other magical increases to Initiative.

Does it give bonus to the reaction attribute or does it just increase the number of dice rolled for initiative as well as the initiative count?

Perhaps it should be framed as:
Improved Reflexes
This power increases the speed at which you react, just like wired reflexes. For each level, you receive +1 to Reaction (this also affects Initiative) and 1 extra Initiative Pass. The maximum rating of Improved Reflexes is 3, and the increase cannot be combined with technological or other magical increases to Initiative.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Larme
post Apr 14 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

Usually when something adds bonus dice, it doesn't specify the attribute. Like if it said +1 die to all defense tests, it would be bonus dice. I'm pretty sure it adds to your Reaction directly though. Otherwise, it wouldn't impact your Initiative. I suppose it's possible that what it's saying is that you add +1 bonus die to both Reaction and Initiative. But I think it makes more sense to say that, like every single other initiative booster, it adds to Reaction itself.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Apr 14 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

In the case of Improved Reflexes adept power, they mean that the Reaction Attribute increases by 1 for every level of the power. You can contrast this with the Improved Initiative spell (or whatever the +IP spell is called), which specifically states that it adds to Initiative directly. Improved Reflexes adds to Initiative indirectly by adding to Reaction.

+Quote Post
Rad
post Apr 14 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,715

I've always assumed it works just like wired reflexes, which seems to be it's intent--flawless grammar is not something these rulebooks are exactly known for.

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 14 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

flawless grammar is not something these rulebooks are exactly known for.

this has always been one of my biggest gripes. Not only the lack of clear grammer, but the poor proofreading. In every book there (with the exception of the BBB's) there are alway multiple small proofreading errors. As an English major it just annoys the bejeezus outta me.
Obviously improved reflexes adds to the reaction stat, I'd say it even counts as unaugmented so when you go to raise it using Karma, it's more expensive. And it can't raise it above your absolute limit.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Apr 14 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

I have an unrelated question. wtf is a BBB?

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Apr 14 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

It's the core rules book.

+Quote Post
Sma
post Apr 14 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 282

BBB = Big Black (or Blue for SR1) Book = SR (whatever edition you care to talk about) Core Rules

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Apr 14 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

Hehe, ok that makes sense. Wanna know why I would have never figured it out? I forgot the second edition core was black. Mine was falling apart a few years back, so I covered it with Silver duct tape (except for the picture on the front), and reinforced it with some posterboard. So really, Mine's more of a BSB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Anyway, thanks. That's been bugging me for a week or so now but I hadn't gotten around to asking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Also, (because of it's insides i suppose) I always think of the 4th ed book as green.

+Quote Post
vladski
post Apr 14 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,176

QUOTE (Rad @ Apr 14 2008, 09:51 AM) *
I've always assumed it works just like wired reflexes, which seems to be it's intent--flawless grammar is not something these rulebooks are exactly known for.

It says right in the entry: "just like Wired Reflexes." You add a die to your Reaction and you get an extra Init Pass. The numbers after attributes (and skills)... that's what those are... numbers representing dice.

Really, I am not understanding the problem here. The way it is written makes perfect sense to me.

Vlad

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Apr 14 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

Limited edition SR3/4 hard backs are called BABYs (Big All Black Yearbooks)

+Quote Post
IQ Zero
post Apr 15 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #12

Target

QUOTE (vladski @ Apr 15 2008, 07:27 AM) *
It says right in the entry: "just like Wired Reflexes." You add a die to your Reaction and you get an extra Init Pass. The numbers after attributes (and skills)... that's what those are... numbers representing dice.

Really, I am not understanding the problem here. The way it is written makes perfect sense to me.

Vlad

Well I've not played SR since its 2nd incarnation, and when my old gaming group met up to begin playing again, the wording (due to the 2 lawyer rules lawyers) is important.
Improved Reflexes
This power increases the speed at which you react, just like wired reflexes. For each level, you receive +1 die to Reaction (this also affects Initiative) and 1 extra Initiative Pass. The maximum rating of Improved Reflexes is 3, and the increase cannot be combined with technological or other magical increases to Initiative.

As I said its the +1 die that causes the confusion.

Anyway, thanks to the quick replies. My, there have been a lot of changes since SR2 hasn't there.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Apr 15 2008, 07:12 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (IQ Zero @ Apr 14 2008, 09:40 PM) *
My, there have been a lot of changes since SR2 hasn't there.

You can say that again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) gl adapting.

+Quote Post
IQ Zero
post Apr 15 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (nathanross @ Apr 15 2008, 03:12 PM) *
You can say that again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) gl adapting.
Thanks, by the way, does the search function here work well? I can't seem to find a thread about skinlink.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Apr 15 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

The search function and I are not friends, but... try adjusting your date range. There are a number of threads about skinlink if you go back fare nough.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.