IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astral Combat, EXACTLY Like Unarmed Combat?
Xel
post Apr 16 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,804

Can the Astral Combat skill be added to the defense pool of a defender as can be done with Unarmed, Blades, and Clubs, if the defender is defending against someone else using Astral Combat? I would guess so, since Astral Combat is described in the book as being "resolved the same was as physical combat", and in physical combat, you can defend as well as attack with the related skill.

--Xel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 16 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Yeah, that's how I read it.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Apr 16 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

What is the question? Are you asking whether you can use Astral Combat skill to defend in Astral Combat or to defend in melee combat? I say yes to defending in Astral (combat is attack and defense), no to defending in physical.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Apr 17 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Better question, can you use maneuvers for it?

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Apr 17 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

Can Martial Arts Qualities be applied to it? +7 DV!

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Apr 17 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #6

Dragon

QUOTE (Cabral @ Apr 17 2008, 05:13 AM) *

Sadly, the DV bonuses specify Unarmed, Clubs, or Blades in their bonus. So not for damage. Though, can you take sweep, throw, finishing move, riposte, etc and use them on astral opponents?

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 17 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

I'd hazard a no. Seeing as your astral form is a projection of your mind/soul, and thus not really subject to physical laws.

Although there is a martial art listed that gives bonuses for attacks of will. That might be able to cross over.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Apr 17 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

QUOTE (Cabral @ Apr 17 2008, 06:13 AM) *

I would say yes, as Astral Combat without a Foci would be for all intensive purposes hand to hand. Thus Killing hands works on the astral. So why could you not use a Martial Art kata for UNARMED combat and recieve the DV bonus? Same for Clubs Sword foci?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Apr 17 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Dragon

No it isn't. At least, not if you're only perceiving and not projecting.

Can an adept with astral perception who is astrally perceiving fight against astral beings using maneuvers from martial arts he may know?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 17 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #10

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I suspect that most martial arts maneuvers just don't meaningfully apply to Astral Combat. It's a completely different thing. That's why Astral Combat isn't in the Close Combat group. Now if someone wanted to create a "martial art" specifically for use in (and only in) astral combat, that could be cool.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 17 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Apr 17 2008, 01:03 PM) *
No it isn't. At least, not if you're only perceiving and not projecting.

Can an adept with astral perception who is astrally perceiving fight against astral beings using maneuvers from martial arts he may know?

I don't believe that astral combat is used unless one is astrally projecting. If one is just astrally perceiving regular melee combat works, and consequently, I guess, so would martial arts manoeuvres. Of course, although DV is an abstraction, it would not be unreasonable to say that the enhanced DV stems from striking vulnerable parts, which spirits may not have. I guess this boils down to whether you allow the DV bonus to work when someone is trying to punch out a drone. Similarly can you sweep a car? Logically not, but I don't recall anything saying martial arts only works vs. metahumans. Personally I'd ere on the side of common sense.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Apr 17 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #12

Dragon

But arguably, they believe that striking those vulnerable parts causes more damage, so perhaps, astrally, it still does?

As far as dv vs drones, yes, it counts.

Sweeping a car? Well, vehicles can't be prone, so no, you can't.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Apr 17 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Apr 17 2008, 10:38 AM) *
Sadly, the DV bonuses specify Unarmed, Clubs, or Blades in their bonus. So not for damage. Though, can you take sweep, throw, finishing move, riposte, etc and use them on astral opponents?

Oh well, just use Killing Hands/Unarmed Weapon Focus and Unarmed Combat (while astral perceiving) instead then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.