IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Munchkins, to me! Which trait to max?
Which Trait to Max
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 108
Guests cannot vote 
HentaiZonga
post Apr 21 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,884

So, the absolute maximum you can get an attribute, with Exceptional Attribute, Genetic Optimization, and the correct metatype, is:
Body - 18 (Troll)
Strength - 18 (Troll)
Agility - 13 (Elf)
Reaction - 12 (Several)
Intuition - 12 (Several)
Logic - 12 (Several)
Willpower - 13 (Dwarf)
Charisma - 15 (Elf)
Edge - 8 (Human)

What would you want to max out?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Apr 21 2008, 06:46 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

For what type of character? Oh..wait..Munchkins..simple, uncomplicated, and gives the most plusses to the most areas...Well, for most things, I would say Agility, though for alot of other things(namelys taying alive) I woudl go Reaction..

+Quote Post
Kerberos
post Apr 21 2008, 06:51 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,137

QUOTE (Cardul @ Apr 21 2008, 01:46 AM) *
For what type of character? Oh..wait..Munchkins..simple, uncomplicated, and gives the most plusses to the most areas...Well, for most things, I would say Agility, though for alot of other things(namelys taying alive) I woudl go Reaction..

Meh to reaction, You don't need to dodge if they didn't see you (stealth) 'till you shot them dead (firearms). Agility all the way.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Apr 21 2008, 07:05 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

That depends on what you want to do.

But, being abit of an optimizer my self I sort of sepnt the time to calculate the BP to Karma ratio on skills and attributes.

Basically, if you are a Human, you want to put as few BP's into your attributes as you can get away with. The only exception being Logic and Intuition, where you want just below the cap in each.

Then look at the skill groups with 4 skills in them, Athletics and Stealth being good ones, Electronics too. These are real bargains and should be taken up to 4. If you cannot afford level 4, do not get the group.

Skills, any skill set at less than 3 is not outperforming Karma. 2 single skills at 5 saves you more Karma than one at 6.

If you play a Meta race it is most cost-effective to pump the stats you have bonuses in, than any other thing, skill or otherwise. You get up to a 50% rebate using BP's than later buying them up there with Karma. - And that includes taking Exceptional Attribute and filling the point, but only do this if you really feel you need it...

If you do get exceptional attribute, always fill it at creation. Doing it later with Karma is too expensive.

Contacts are über. Each BP spent here equals 2 Karma. No other place has such a good conversion rate. Do not be afraid to define your perfect contacts here, it'll cost you twice as much in Karma to buy ingame. (If you do not pay Karma for a contact in your games, you can skimp here, the GM will provide tools for the game (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) )

When it comes to Magic, Powers and 'Ware, focus on stuff that cannot be replicated by skills first... Get those extra Passes or make sure you have planned a path to get them soon. More than anything an extra Pass increases survivability and striking power.

Of course, make sure the character is viable... adhering too strictly to these rules of thumb can leave you a gimp. It only the method to get the most out of your BP's, but that does not always equal the most powerful character out of the gate...

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 21 2008, 07:09 AM
Post #5

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

First, we should get this out of the way, since we're bound to hear it: there is no such thing as munchkin, it all depends on your game, blah blah blah...

Second, Agility. Hands down.

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Apr 21 2008, 07:13 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

Munchkins thinking long term always make their statistics 1 or <softmax> before the application of racial modifiers because that's the most bp/karma efficient play.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 21 2008, 07:22 AM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Edge. It doesn't matter what you want to do, you can never have too much of an Edge. There are even Edge rolls now and those rolls... you'd never want to roll low.

Everything else you can use some cyber/bio/nano/magic to augment. There hasn't been an Edge enhancement implant yet.

+Quote Post
Divine Virus
post Apr 21 2008, 07:30 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,374

I have to second Edge. With Edge, you can literally do the impossible, up to eight times a day.

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 21 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #9

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Ah yes. Edge is also a good candidate... Coarse the more dice you have in Agility the more you can reroll with Edge... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Apr 21 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Honestly, if you want the most munchkin bang for the buck(well, for fun)...

Agility, Logic, and Charisma. These three stats link to more skills than all the rest of them put together and doubled. Pump these three to powerful heights(but go human, even though elves get the bonus. You want the extra Edge point. Remember the Elf bonus equals out their BP cost; and if you are looking at pure munchkining power, that's not as good as an Ork, which gets alot more for less.)

So yeah, human, pump and purchase up those three stats, and dump the rest to Edge. Then, naturally, gimp a few stats, but buy them up. Yes, this means Str1(3) and the like, the famous old munch tactic since Strength isn't as important(especially with the invention of Martial Arts and the crazy DV bonuses it gives. A 100 year old geriatric man can punch like a troll.) At least a 3 body natch, to wear decent armor; if you can scrape it up to 4 all the better. Reaction can be cheesed up with several enhancers and some IP enhancers.

Skillwires seem to be able to help this character, too. And yeah, Edge as high as you can make it while still keeping large die pools for large numbers of skills. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Im surprisingly not a munchy player; i really was never into purposefully gimping stats just to munch out stats which give more skill bonuses, but i have made a bunch of 'playaround' characters to see what kind of crap you can do.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Apr 21 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #11

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I voted Intuition just to be different. Loads of linked knowledge skills, gives BP for buying said skills, part of initiative, Perception...

The point can be made for most attributes, even strength.

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Apr 21 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 2,904

I go with Edge. Not only can it apply to any die roll, it also makes it possible for a human to have a stat higher than a Great Dragon can! Sheer kewlness gives it an edge (Teehee (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ) over the other attributes.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Apr 21 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

For the true twink? Edge.

Oh Agility is nice. But you can get it high enough using this that and the other.

But maxed edge can just be broken. You can do things with edge 8 and the longshot rule that will have a houserule by the next session.

So make it good.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Apr 21 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Can we delet double posts here?

+Quote Post
Screamin Demon
post Apr 21 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,807

Edge is where its at. I have a player with 8 edge and 8 times per game he gets to do pretty much whatever he wants.

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 22 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

will to resist the most nasty magic. and it's used to resist drain, and I like to play mages

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Apr 22 2008, 01:09 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

For SR3 Magicians it was definately willpower. My god, because drain was force /2 (give or take +1 +2 etc.), you might have to resist 3, 4 Deadly damage, but with Albino Dwarves with Bonus Attribute Willpower... (that's 9, people), and likely some drain resisting cyberware... Eugh.

In SR4, what you munch depends on what you do. Combat? I'd say Reaction hard maxxed and a soft maxxed Agility. Moving A bunch of times before anyone else is pretty valuable, but only Move-By-Wire gave you the most bang for your buck there.

I'm building a Mad Scientist runner right now, and I'm doing fun things with Logic.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Apr 22 2008, 04:32 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

QUOTE (Ryu @ Apr 21 2008, 03:53 AM) *
I voted Intuition just to be different. Loads of linked knowledge skills, gives BP for buying said skills, part of initiative, Perception...

The point can be made for most attributes, even strength.

i, too, vote for intuition. why? because in addition to boosting your perception skill (one of the most universaly important skills in the game), it also directly affects initiative. more to the point, once you hit the cap on intuition, thats pretty much it. there isn't much that you can do to boost it (that i know of). max it out at character creation, and spend your hard earned money and karma on other attributes.

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Apr 22 2008, 04:41 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Apr 22 2008, 05:32 AM) *
i, too, vote for intuition. why? because in addition to boosting your perception skill (one of the most universaly important skills in the game), it also directly affects initiative. more to the point, once you hit the cap on intuition, thats pretty much it. there isn't much that you can do to boost it (that i know of). max it out at character creation, and spend your hard earned money and karma on other attributes.

That's a good point: what 'ware affects mental stats?

I know Tailored Pheremones is a dice modifier, not a stat bonus (although really, maybe it should be a stat bonus); I believe an Encephalon is also a dice modifier. Is there anything that directly augments any mental attribute, other than Quickened spells?

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Apr 22 2008, 05:03 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

Cerebral boosters directly boost the stat in question.

+Quote Post
Kerberos
post Apr 22 2008, 05:07 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,137

QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Apr 21 2008, 11:41 PM) *
That's a good point: what 'ware affects mental stats?

I know Tailored Pheremones is a dice modifier, not a stat bonus (although really, maybe it should be a stat bonus); I believe an Encephalon is also a dice modifier. Is there anything that directly augments any mental attribute, other than Quickened spells?

Cerebreal booster. p. 339 BBB boosts logic.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 22 2008, 05:19 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I would say "none of the above". Hard-maxing Magic can occasionally be worth it for adepts with a very narrow combat focus, or for certain mage builds, but for everything else, soft-maxing is so much more cost-effective.

If you are a true munchkin (as opposed to merely a min-maxer or powergamer), then you will only start out with a character that doesn't have glaring weaknesses and rules problems if you post the build on Dumpshock to get analyzed. After that, don't worry about getting any stat to its max level - you simply won't live that long. Munchkins have a low life expectancy in most campaigns.

By the way, some of those values aren't possible. Mental stats may have a high augmented max, but there aren't enough actual augmentations for those Attributes. Plenty of dice pool modifiers, though.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 22 2008, 07:32 AM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Glyph @ Apr 22 2008, 03:19 PM) *
By the way, some of those values aren't possible. Mental stats may have a high augmented max, but there aren't enough actual augmentations for those Attributes.

You mean outside of the Improved Attribute Powers and Spells, right?

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Apr 22 2008, 07:39 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 22 2008, 08:32 AM) *
You mean outside of the Improved Attribute Powers and Spells, right?

Improved Attribute only works on Physical Attributes, I thought?

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Apr 22 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kerberos @ Apr 22 2008, 06:07 AM) *
Cerebreal booster. p. 339 BBB boosts logic.

Aha, so it does! So Logic can hard-max to 11 (since you can't get more than +3 from the Cerebral Booster), but that still leaves Intuition, Charisma, and Willpower without any non-spell augmentations, correct?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:58 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.