IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Full Mages and the Elemental arms race, If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?
Zeittotschlager
post Dec 9 2003, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,738

I'm playing in my first Shadowrun campaign, and our group has been plagued by a lack of a Full Mage who can regularly make the meetings. Unfortunately, it seems that any target worth hitting in the SR universe is going to have magical security as well as physical. This would be okay if it were not for the overwhelming power of Elementals.

An enemy Full Mage almost ALWAYS has 6 big ass elementals shielding him and attacking our poor street sams, adepts, and shamans.

So, I've been looking through my SR3 book for SOME way to effectively combat Elementals without HAVING TO HAVE 6 OF OUR OWN... But there seems to be no other way.

It strikes me as rather unbalancing... I know elementals are expensive, so in theory they should be rather rare... But Corp Mages are not going to balk at a measly 1k per force.

So should we just fight fire with fire and get another Full Mage, or is there some other way?

Thanks

-Z
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 9 2003, 08:57 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Laser weapons and flame throwers will pop elementals pretty easily, except for fire elementals in the latter case. A water cannon should work as well, as the difference between physical and stun damage matters little with spirits. If you have the cash, weapon foci for the groggies. Depending on your GM, cold-forged iron weapons might also work as a low-cost option (they constitute "elemental metal" as far as I'm concerned).

If you have a shaman, a spirit with the concealment power is your friend. The *best* way to fight elementals is to not have to.

+Quote Post
Zeittotschlager
post Dec 9 2003, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Target

Thanks for the info. Where did you read about lasers and iron swords being effective? We are only using the info that comes in the SR3 core book, and I don't recall seeing that.

I'm not sure how our GM would react to all of us suddenly sporting Flamethrowers and Lasers, but it'd be a laugh. :D

Anybody have thoughts on magical ways to deal with big groups of elementals without elementals of your own? A big battle with 6 elementals on either side REALLY slows down the action.

-Z

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 9 2003, 09:13 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

Well, you can have a shaman just keep whipping up nature spirits as the spirits get cacked.

And engage the elementals in battles of wills, if you have a high enough willpower.

+Quote Post
The Cheshire Pen...
post Dec 9 2003, 09:16 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 5,875

Do some reconaisance work first and find out where the mage is. Use your decker or some other contact to find out where the mage works (his office in the complex, or wherever he does his regular rounds). Assuming you're going in with guns blazing (which really isn't the best way) shoot the mage first. No mage, no elementals -- pg. 113 of MitS says that spirits or elementals with a force greater than 6 generally become free spirits when the mage kacks out, and a bunch of free elementals can raise a lot of hell. Also, I can see there maybe being 6 elemental doing patrols around a fairly large compound. But not all in one place, and not all around the mage. A corp isn't going to skimp of the summoning materials, sure, but hiring a full mage is expensive as hell, and most complexes you run across shouldn't have a full mage. In the 'normal' shadowrun world, full mages are super rare, and you're much more likely to come across a sorcerer or a conjurer than a full mage. If you keep running into these full mages with packs of elementals, cook up a spell called 'slaughter elementals' -- area affect spell that deals deadly damage to elementals. At force 6, such a spell should have a drain of 4D, but if you make it exclusive and make it require a fetish, it's only got a drain of 2D. When you come across a group of elementals, -POW!- :vegm:

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Dec 9 2003, 09:19 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
If you have a shaman, a spirit with the concealment power is your friend. The *best* way to fight elementals is to not have to.

Unfortunately concealment isn't very effective against elementals. It is a physical power, meaning that it has no effect on the astral sight that all elementals possess. Sneaking past spirits is really quite tough.

On the topic, I can really understand this complaint; mages are freaking powerful when unchecked by an opposing mage. Even your best options won't be extremely effective against armies of "big ass elementals". You just have to slug it out the hard way.

If it's getting to be a real pain in the ass, ask your GM to try some more variety with his threats. I imagine it'd get boring to have to fight a hoarde of elementals every game.

+Quote Post
Moonwolf
post Dec 9 2003, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,011

Geek the mage first. All the elementals will be released, and probably leave then.

+Quote Post
Zeittotschlager
post Dec 9 2003, 09:25 PM
Post #8

Target

Lol.. I like the Slaughter Elementals option... :)

Battles of Wills don't usually work out for our boys... We're all first time Shadowrun players, so we probably could have done a better job during character creation.

I might have to mention to our GM about the rarity of Full Mages at typical installations, cuz they sure don't SEEM that rare...

Would the Magic in the Shadows book have the rules for creating a spell for slaying Elementals in particular? The GM has the book, but we really haven't gotten into it yet. Still getting the hang of the system.

Thanks a lot guys.

-Z

+Quote Post
The Cheshire Pen...
post Dec 9 2003, 09:41 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 5,875

MitS has the full rules on spell creation, as well as the specific spell "Slaughter (Race/Species)" on pg. 140. You could either research the spell formula on your own, or buy the full version of slaughter elementals on the street for 12,000 :nuyen: (that includes the street index) with an availability of 6/7 days,
or the restricted version of the spell that I mentioned for a paltry 6,000 :nuyen: and an availability of 3/7 days.

+Quote Post
lodestar
post Dec 9 2003, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,720

A physad with killing hands is also good, particularly if he has distance strike , even better if he can astrally percieve. Killing hands bypasses an elemental's immunity to normal weapons.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 9 2003, 09:53 PM
Post #11

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Zeittotschlager)
Battles of Wills don't usually work out for our boys... We're all first time Shadowrun players, so we probably could have done a better job during character creation.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean!

"Sha..ris..ma? What's that?"
"Ah, you're a sammy, you don't need that"
"ok!"

later...

"the guard asks you what you'Re doing here. Roll negociation"
I look at sheet, pick up 2 die... roll double ones..

Anyway, that's the end of this distraction. Since I feel bad about not saying anything useful, here's my advice:

Elementals have to stay pretty close to their master. That's a weakness. A good sniper can stay safe from that, or, arrange to have the protecting mage be seperated from his VIP (not an easy task, but doable). You don't need a whole lot of distance, really.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 9 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #12

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Your GM is obviously just trying to make your PC's lives a living Hell. If the Mage is an Ork or a Troll, tell your GM he's full of it and that he couldn't have 6 Elementals because of the max Cha on those two races. If not, well, remind him of the rule.

If he continues to even after you mention how stupid and repetitive it is, there are several options I see.
  • Slaughter Elemental as mentioned earlier
  • Stop playing while he's GM
  • Do something to completely avoid the Elementals every time, and make him roll for everything
If he is just throwing them at you because he likes them and he wants to kill you off, dump him as a GM, it isn't worth it.

There are other ways to geek entire parties besides 6 Elementals. Tell him to get original.

+Quote Post
gknoy
post Dec 9 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,835

QUOTE (Zeittotschlager)
Where did you read about lasers and iron swords being effective?

I don't know about the laser weapons, but the iron weapons thing has basis in common mythology. In many cultures, iron is seen as especially effective for binding, hurting, or protection from creatures with a magical nature. For example, in celtic mythos, magical things (enchanted islands (read about the Orkneys sometime :)), faeries, etc) can be held in place with iron stakes, or hurt with iron weapons. I don't think steel counts.

Why iron? The best explanation I've heard (and I think this was actually from the Changeling game ;)) was something along the lines of magical things being of an ephemeral, transcendental, (at least semi-)spiritual nature, and thus iron, being the epitome of something down-to-earth and physical, would be especially harmful to them.

In SR, there's probably something in one of the MANY books I've never read (darn!) that explicitly says iron weapons are effective. ;) I'd say that if your characters know any bladesmiths, they can probably forge an iron weapon; won't hold as durable an edge as steel, and might break, and will be very heavy, but if you know you gotta stab an elemental, you might want one. (Or, decide to take a permanent vacation to Someplace Else ;))

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Dec 9 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #14

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Member No.: 4,700

They can get pretty far away, actually - (CHA+WILL+Magic)x 10 Meters. So you'll have to be pretty far to be out of the area they can roam around in, probably farther than you can get and still be inside of the corp compound. I think others have said everything else useful, but I'll reiterate what I think are the most usefull:

Make sure your GM understands how rare full mages are and how expensive elementals are to have around (in terms of time and money - summoning 6 elementals of decent force is going to take at least two full workdays for the mage, probably more).

Physads, weapon foci, oh my! These things can kick elemental ass if in the right hands.

Elemental damage. Hard to prepare for in terms of every single type of elemental, but effective if you can pull it off.

Another good thing to do against elementals is to summon up a bunch of watchers and sick the little buggers on the elementals. They aren't really going to do much damage, but they can distract the elementals for a while and help in any of the above tactics. Ask your GM to show you the watcher thing in MitS (in the Sprits chapter).

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 9 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Actually, this all comes down the the elemental vulnerabilities

Earth is vulnerable to air
Fire is vulnerable to water
Water is vulnerable to earth
Air is vulnerable to fire.

So find weapons that somehow fill those spots. It seem like cold steel would work wonderfully for the "earth" requirement.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 9 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

If I'm not mistaking, by the rules elementals are not immune to their own element. A flamethrower is just as effective against a fire elemental as it is an earth elemental, though it's most effective against water elementals (since they have a Vulnerability to it).

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 9 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Right.

That is true. However, some GM's have ruled the opposite.

eg. It's a house rule, so :noflame:

+Quote Post
Cheese Emperor
post Dec 9 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,565

And uh, how'd you come to that set of vulnerabilities moosegod?

+Quote Post
Dende
post Dec 9 2003, 10:48 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,837

In chinese Mythos, and other asian, mostly because they spread around... Iron pins were driven into demons and dragons to stop them from all magical ability, the pin disrupted their magical flow... Given that, I woud assume Iron a damned good weapon against creatures like demons, dragons, and oni...etc\

And moosegod's vunerablites and not unlike many old stories...and current vuners of elemental dragons in Exalted.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 9 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Cheese Emperor)
And uh, how'd you come to that set of vulnerabilities moosegod?

SR3.

+Quote Post
Cheese Emperor
post Dec 9 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,565

Works for me.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 9 2003, 10:53 PM
Post #22

Chrome to the Core

I thought it was:

Earth:Air
Fire:Water

Vice versa as well, obviously.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 9 2003, 10:53 PM
Post #23

Running Target

I should say, that was from memory. I don't have the book in front of me.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 9 2003, 10:55 PM
Post #24

Chrome to the Core

My vulnerabilities sound more like it, not because I said it, but because they make sense.

Fire evaporates water.
Water douses fire.

Between Earth and Air, it was just because Fire and Water are polar opposites anyways. :P

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Dec 9 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (gknoy)
QUOTE (Zeittotschlager)
Where did you read about lasers and iron swords being effective?

I don't know about the laser weapons, but the iron weapons thing has basis in common mythology. In many cultures, iron is seen as especially effective for binding, hurting, or protection from creatures with a magical nature. For example, in celtic mythos, magical things (enchanted islands (read about the Orkneys sometime :)), faeries, etc) can be held in place with iron stakes, or hurt with iron weapons. I don't think steel counts.

Why iron? The best explanation I've heard (and I think this was actually from the Changeling game ;)) was something along the lines of magical things being of an ephemeral, transcendental, (at least semi-)spiritual nature, and thus iron, being the epitome of something down-to-earth and physical, would be especially harmful to them.

In SR, there's probably something in one of the MANY books I've never read (darn!) that explicitly says iron weapons are effective. ;) I'd say that if your characters know any bladesmiths, they can probably forge an iron weapon; won't hold as durable an edge as steel, and might break, and will be very heavy, but if you know you gotta stab an elemental, you might want one. (Or, decide to take a permanent vacation to Someplace Else ;))

Actually, iron weapons are less prone to breaking (unless you make them from cast iron) and more prone to bending. Celtic warriors where known to step on their swords to flatten them again.

Iron being useful against the fairy folks most likely steems (historically) from the late bronze age / agricultural civilisations being contacted by (and afraid of) iron/steel (used interchangeable) wielding civilisations.

Side notes:

The Irish hate/fear the feyes
I plead for a Moderate Allergy:Iron for all elves

Birdy

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.