IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How realistic is it for someone to have 27 seconds from "unconscious" to "irrevocably dead"?
HentaiZonga
post Apr 25 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,884

It seems like SR4's damage overflow rules are a bit harsh - losing one wound level every [Body] turns and having [Body] points of overflow basically means that someone lasts [Body] x [Body] turns from 'dying' to 'dead', or [Body] x [Body] x 3 seconds. I know people sustain fatal-if-untreated injuries a LOT more often than that, and manage to last quite a bit longer before receiving treatment.

Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 25 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Shrug. And some people instantly die when dealt a lethal wound, without hanging around 'in overflow' at all. Since combat doesn't last all that long, the whole thing doesn't seem to be a problem, at least to me. It isn't all that difficult to stabilize someone to stop them from dying due to overflow damage, even in the heat of battle.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 25 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i think one problem is that many "deadly if untreated" wounds are stuff could probably register as a couple of boxes under max.

but sr rules have never really had anything on non-maxed damage being dangerous in the long run.

thing is that we humans have a habit of going into shock more often then the sr rules allow for. but there is no hard and fast "this is how long anyone will last with wound type x". sometimes it just takes the brain a very long time to get the message, and will keep the body going well beyond what one would expect.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Apr 25 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Combat, bleeding, and first aid are incredibly short in duration under Shadowrun rules. It's a fundamental problem with setting the combat round length to the minimum times people achieve. So in the real world you can shoot four people with a semi automatic pistol in 3 seconds. In actual firefights, this basically never happens, but it is possible. So the game sets that as the standard time frame, and then everything takes an unrealistically short amount of time.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Kerberos
post Apr 25 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,137

QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 25 2008, 05:03 AM) *
Shrug. And some people instantly die when dealt a lethal wound, without hanging around 'in overflow' at all. Since combat doesn't last all that long, the whole thing doesn't seem to be a problem, at least to me. It isn't all that difficult to stabilize someone to stop them from dying due to overflow damage, even in the heat of battle.

I think Fortune hit the nail here. If it took a more realistic amount of time to die then that would effectively be infinite time in SR combat terms because a combat round is so short.

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post Apr 25 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

QUOTE (Kerberos @ Apr 25 2008, 12:23 PM) *
I think Fortune hit the nail here. If it took a more realistic amount of time to die then that would effectively be infinite time in SR combat terms because a combat round is so short.

But you do track time out of combat as well... if "stabilisation" took the bleed interval out to minutes and the First Aid check to stop it completely had an interval of minutes, you'd still have the HTRT inbound.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Apr 25 2008, 03:01 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

I'd have to say it depends...

If you filled your track from one rifle shot that destroyed your aorta just above or below the heart, 27 seconds is rather optimistic.

Major internal bleeding seems to take a little longer, and several nasty flesh wounds longer still.

And of course, with a shot to the brain stem, 27 sec is about 27 sec too long.

So, it depends...

+Quote Post
kzt
post Apr 25 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

No, those are examples of Dead Right There. There is no treatment or stabilization possible from having you brain blown apart or your heart destroyed.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 25 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #9

panda!

basically a wound that fills your track and your overflow in one go...

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Apr 25 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

QUOTE (Shiloh @ Apr 25 2008, 06:42 AM) *
But you do track time out of combat as well... if "stabilisation" took the bleed interval out to minutes and the First Aid check to stop it completely had an interval of minutes, you'd still have the HTRT inbound.

I like this idea, make it Body x Body minutes per box, and Stabilization takes 1 minute (it currently 1 combat turn right?). Perhaps even go another step, and first aid / healing takes 1 minute per box.

This would definatly add a very lethal feel to the game, and you would probably end up with downed runners being left behind. Since taking 10 minutes to get the person up and mobile is quite a significant amount of time. I love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
weblife
post Apr 25 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

And even so, the cause of death by anything less than actual brain damage, can, in theory, be delayed by making sure the brain receives enough oxygen and whatever else it needs.

Perhaps by slapping on a trauma collar or a batch of special nanites, or something.

The rest of the body can "keep" for much longer. Especially when the technology available allows pretty fundamental replacements of not only damaged parts, but destroyed parts too.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Apr 25 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

My basic rule of thumb is, if you "bleed out", you can burn an edge point and stay alive but you're hospitalized. But if you take a shotgun blast to the chest that goes three to five points into the "gray zone" (post-overflow damage) automatically you're toast.

Use cover, fools!

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post Apr 25 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Apr 25 2008, 04:25 PM) *
My basic rule of thumb is, if you "bleed out", you can burn an edge point and stay alive but you're hospitalized. But if you take a shotgun blast to the chest that goes three to five points into the "gray zone" (post-overflow damage) automatically you're toast.

Use cover, fools!

Harsh. Edge points burnt like that should save your ass. It's what they're for. If the damage would have killed you stone dead on the spot, you just "somehow" took less damage than that and hey presto, your teamies get to stabilise you and haul your dead weight out so you can't be forced to rat on them.

But yes, cover is your friend.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 25 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Someone could go from unconscious to dead in 27 seconds, give or take, if an artery were opened and bleeding were not controlled.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Apr 25 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

On this note there's one rule that a lot of people seem to ignore in my limited experience that is somewhat relevant here.

If you want to stand up while wounded you need to make a
Body +Willpower (2), and wound modifiers play into that.

Also if you take (body) boxes of damage or more at once you automatically fall down.

So when a regular corp guard takes 6 boxes of damage they will be thrown to the ground and will tend to lie there and call to mama.

Personally, for the system to make sense a "deadly" wound is one that puts you down immediately, because that's the game effect. So either it's something like a round that glances the spine or a major central artery or you just rule that a number of lesser shots have caused the person to go into shock. Those things could cause you to bleed out fast (and shock can just kill you). Personally I'd rather the time were longer or maybe more random.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 25 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #16

panda!

hmm, i admit, those two elements had slipped my mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Apr 25 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,884

QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Apr 25 2008, 04:17 PM) *
I like this idea, make it Body x Body minutes per box, and Stabilization takes 1 minute (it currently 1 combat turn right?). Perhaps even go another step, and first aid / healing takes 1 minute per box.

This would definatly add a very lethal feel to the game, and you would probably end up with downed runners being left behind. Since taking 10 minutes to get the person up and mobile is quite a significant amount of time. I love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I heartily approve of this, and will be shamelessly stealing it for my games.

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Apr 25 2008, 08:19 PM) *
On this note there's one rule that a lot of people seem to ignore in my limited experience that is somewhat relevant here.

Also if you take (body) boxes of damage or more at once you automatically fall down.

So when a regular corp guard takes 6 boxes of damage they will be thrown to the ground and will tend to lie there and call to mama.

Personally, for the system to make sense a "deadly" wound is one that puts you down immediately, because that's the game effect. So either it's something like a round that glances the spine or a major central artery or you just rule that a number of lesser shots have caused the person to go into shock. Those things could cause you to bleed out fast (and shock can just kill you). Personally I'd rather the time were longer or maybe more random.

This also is overlooked, and important. Another important thing to remember is that glitches on damage resistance tests matter, folks.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 25 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (weblife @ Apr 26 2008, 01:21 AM) *
And even so, the cause of death by anything less than actual brain damage, can, in theory, be delayed by making sure the brain receives enough oxygen and whatever else it needs.

Perhaps by slapping on a trauma collar or a batch of special nanites, or something.

Perhaps by applying a Trauma Patch or using a MedKit, pretty much as it is done in SR4.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Apr 25 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Apr 25 2008, 12:19 PM) *

If RAW, what page?

If damage taken exceeds your body, you are knocked down.

Also, I do agree bleeding out times are far to quick. Hits that are instant-kills are those that do enough damage to exceed the target's overflow in a single hit - has nothing to do with bleeding times.

I propose a house rule:
When in Physical Damage Overflow, you take an additional box of damage every Body minutes (or Body x 5).
Severe Wounds optional rule - Augmentation: Add the possibility of hitting an artery or other rapid-death location. If hit, reduce bleeding time to an additional box of damage every Body combat turns (RAW times).
Increase stabilization & healing with First Aid to minutes (or minutes x 5). This time can be reduced to combat turns by taking a -4 (or more) penalty to your test.

+Quote Post
ArkonC
post Apr 25 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,483

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Apr 26 2008, 12:40 AM) *
If RAW, what page?

QUOTE ('BBB p.137')
Stand Up
Using a Simple Action, a character who is lying down or prone may stand up. If the character is wounded and attempting to stand up, he needs to succeed in a Body + Willpower (2) Test to do so (wound modifiers apply to this test).

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Apr 25 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

I actually run the game that if you bled out from overflow(brainstem shots, heads or hearts exploding naturally don't go here), you STILL had a chance with resuscitation. But i play it that you get around 2 minutes past your last overflow box going if you want the best chance at being zapped back(i mean, you need a defibulator or someone with a goddamned high medical skill doing CPR.). You get the natural Body roll(i have to figure an SR4 Threshold, this was SR3), Edge could help(or, well, you probably could just blow the edge point. but if you have 0 at the moment...), and you'll be in the ICU for awhile and in pretty damned crappy shape, but I believe you could get someone back from a flatline(people do it in real life.)

Over 2 minutes though, we ruled it was possible-with severe minuses-and mental problems, like lowered mental attributes and mental flaws, signifying the braindamage that would happen. After 5 minutes, it was a nogo.

It's a barely used rule, to be honest. And i mean i think we saw it used ONCE in our time of playing. Usually, the people either take such spectacular damage they are a crater in the ground or they are stabilized via spell or some item before they bleed out(or, again, the blow the Edge nowadays).

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Apr 26 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

QUOTE (Shiloh @ Apr 25 2008, 01:42 PM) *

I have used this house rule already. It means first aid is a thing done outside combat, which is just fine by me. Combined with the damage rules from Augmentation you can still bleed to death in seconds if you take bad enough damage and fail your edge roll (i.e. out of luck).

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 26 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #23

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Apr 25 2008, 09:25 AM) *
Use cover, fools!

That just warms my heart.

+Quote Post
Kerberos
post Apr 26 2008, 05:59 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,137

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Apr 25 2008, 02:19 PM) *

I love my 7 body on my orc.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Apr 26 2008, 07:30 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Apr 25 2008, 06:40 PM) *
If RAW, what page?

If damage taken exceeds your body, you are knocked down.

First question already answerd (137)

As to the second

QUOTE (BBB p151)
If a character takes a number of boxes of damage (Stun
or Physical) from a single attack that equal or exceed his Body,then the attack automatically knocks him down. Characters
who take 10 or more boxes of damage in a single attack are always
knocked down.

It can be fun to use the supressive fire rules against a swarm of goons and watch them splay all over the ground.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.