Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artifacts, Are they possible?
nathanross
post Apr 29 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,845

After rereading Harry Potter over the last week, Ive been realizing that SR lacks artifacts. Foci are nice, but what about magical objects. I like anchoring, but it's one use nature really limits it. Is there a way to allow balanced magical objects?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Apr 29 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

Artifacts! I was like Whoa! but then you had to mention Harry Potter and even somehow connect that to SR. Now I hate you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
MarCazm
post Apr 29 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 15,869

Oh man you really read this crap??? And think of using it as a reference??? You gotta be kiddin' right??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif)

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Apr 29 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

Ewww.. You got your Potter on my Shadowrun

+Quote Post
bjorn
post Apr 29 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 12,344

I would say there may be a few, but they will probably be owned by dragons or really powerful magical groups.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Apr 29 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

I really want to go in front of a church populated by those convinced Harry Potter is evil with a Potter book in one hand, and a satanic bible in the other. Shout at the top of my lungs "SATANISTS AGAINST POTTER!" and burn the Potter book.

Then go home and burn a few more. It is good to play with fire (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ork.gif)

On artifacts, there is no limit to the number of artifacts in Shadowrun, by RAW.

QUOTE (Artifact)
“noun
1. any object made by human beings, esp. with a view to subsequent use.
2. a handmade object, as a tool, or the remains of one, as a shard of pottery, characteristic of an earlier time or cultural stage, esp. such an object found at an archaeological excavation.
3. any mass-produced, usually inexpensive object reflecting contemporary society or popular culture: artifacts of the pop rock generation.
4. a substance or structure not naturally present in the matter being observed but formed by artificial means, as during preparation of a microscope slide.

+Quote Post
vladski
post Apr 29 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,176

Well, there was that power foci thingie from Bottled Demon, circa SR2 (or was it SR1?)

Vlad

+Quote Post
Earlydawn
post Apr 29 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,766

For those of us who are not Potterly-inclined, could you tell us what kind of objects are "artifacts", and what separates them from a SR Focus?

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Apr 29 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Artifacts, in most Fantasy, are ancient magical items of immense power, usually unable to be created any more due to a loss of general power or knowledge in centuries past. An example would be the One Ring from the Lord of the Rings.

However, see my previous post for the 'correct' definition of an artifact.

Edit:
In Sci-Fi, they usually take the form of advanced alien technology that has been hidden for centuries, and just recently became known. Alternatively, it has been on display or in research labs and only recently 'turned on'.

+Quote Post
vladski
post Apr 29 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,176

QUOTE (Earlydawn @ Apr 29 2008, 05:57 PM) *
For those of us who are not Potterly-inclined, could you tell us what kind of objects are "artifacts", and what separates them from a SR Focus?

You, too, were never properly potter-trained? *snickers*

To be fair, I never read the books, but after seeing hte first movie (and being forced to sit through 2 more due to the kiddies) I never had a desire to. Decent enough entertainment for kids, but I really, really never saw the attraction or what made them so great to adults.

Vlad

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Apr 29 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

The last two, I believe, were okay but not recommended. The first 5 were crap. I still cannot figure out why I bothered to read them...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 29 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

ya mean like dis?
http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/Spoorn/6.html

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 29 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

They're called unique enchantments in SR, primarily to differentiate from That Other Game, and yes they exist though they are super-rare.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 29 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

and my GM's still shudder when i mention playing a mage ever again because of uncle ancient here *g*
yes, i am a BIG Fan of his works *snickers* ^^

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Apr 30 2008, 12:13 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 2,904

Hmmm...would a piece of Art Dankwalther count as an ARTifact? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 30 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ Apr 30 2008, 10:13 AM) *
Hmmm...would a piece of Art Dankwalther count as an ARTifact?

Maybe, maybe not, but the knowledge that Van Gogh chopped off his ear is definitely an Arty Fact.

+Quote Post
Hatspur
post Apr 30 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,880

Search up Dunklezahn's Will. There's a LOT of Artifacts on there, although I'm not sure how many people on this board consider the will a valid or decent source of SR lore.

I always thought going looking for Custer's rifle, Blackbeard's sword, Caesar's crown & armor, Excalibur, and maybe even the first computer would make for good artifact-based treasure hunting games.

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Apr 30 2008, 01:56 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,884

You can get a reasonable simulation with Anchoring, if you're willing to blow enough Karma. I always used the 2nd Edition rules for Anchoring, because they're the most flexible - 4th Edition has brought back a lot of that flexibility, but there's still a few things that 2nd Ed did better.

One of my favorite SR moments involved handing my GM a flow chart, linking all the Anchored spells and their detection triggers. I spent WEEKS OOC "programming" the Anchor script, so that the anchors would trigger each other intelligently in response to different kinds of threats. When it finally went off according to plan, it was beautiful.

Cost about 300 Karma, though.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Apr 30 2008, 03:16 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

By canon, there's plenty of artifacts in the sixth world. For example, the Jade Dragon of Wind and Fire that is so dearly coveted by Wuxing, which is a powerful Geomantic tool, and can be attributed to their rapid success.

Similar written shenanigans with the coins of luck. Which have been suggested responsible for sterile corp executives wives to become pregnant, among other things.

I'm pretty sure Excalibur is actually a Shadowrun Canon item, and it's wielded by everyone's favourite/loathed clown/mage/swordmaster/immortal elf/GM Fiat, Harlequin.

The best example of actual shadowrunner's being able to interact with these objects is the Survival of The Fittest adventure. Where one mission sets you loose in the ruins of Tehran, trying to steal the Shroud of Shadows, which if I remember, actually has stats.

Of course, such artifacts (and of course, you're encouraged to make up your own, if you really want) only can take place in high-level, high-challenge games. It'd be silly for you to get an artifact, say, an ancient pearl necklace that works as the Reflection Metamagic at 6, and then go back to shadowrunning normally. Artifacts only work in Indiana Jones style games, where you're racing against the Apep Consortium, Draco Foundation as well as countless freelancers and mercenaries through exotic locales.

.http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/Artifex.htm

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post Apr 30 2008, 09:14 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

I think most of what you'd call artefacts are probably survivors from previous Thaumaturgical Maxima and you can't really make them yet in the Sixth Age because Magic isn't strong enough. Yet.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Apr 30 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

QUOTE (Shiloh @ Apr 30 2008, 11:14 AM) *
I think most of what you'd call artefacts are probably survivors from previous Thaumaturgical Maxima and you can't really make them yet in the Sixth Age because Magic isn't strong enough. Yet.

Actually you can, if you are very, very powerful and sacrifce yourself to empower it, by, let's say, blowing yourself up after you became President. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Apr 30 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

I think in the prime runners book there was a vampire or somethign with a special artifact.

In addition you'd think there would be bunches of artifacts about from the Eathdawn timefram that already have rules and could presumably be used in a similar manner to foci.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 30 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #23

The ShadowComedian

Martin De Vrieß, Vampire Mage with a special Power-Focus or something like that . .
and usually, there should not be anything magical left from the old worlds, because those things can't live through mana-shallows . . and there was a big shallow all over the world for some thousand years O.o . . one COULD argue that if the physical frame was still intact that if you were to find it you could make it a focus again without needing to gather the ingedrients and making the forumla and all that crap . . but you'd have to spend more karma for it to get magics again . .

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 30 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #24

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I remember an Elven Street Sam from Prime Runners that had one, too. He was so cool he could use two smartlinks at the same time, but he also had something that muddied memories of him or something like that (the name of which escapes me, but someone else might know).

Artifacts certainly exist in Shadowrun, but much like magic items previously to D&D 3.0+, there aren't really rules for PCs to make 'em.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 30 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

aside from the approach of Uncle Ancient and his unique enchantments utilizing bound free spirits *g*

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.