Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wheel/Path Magic from MitS and Tir na n'Og, Working with SR2 and SR3
Kage2020
post Dec 12 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,555

I've just been skimming through the information presented for Wheel/Path magic in MitS and SR2's Tir na n'Og sourcebook and note that the latter was substantially more detailed than the former. That kind of goes with the nature of MitS, but I wondered if anyone out there had merged the two editions. For example, Adepts in the Path of the Warrior are especially lame in MitS but can be a tad over-powered in Tir na n'Og, i.e. the extra 2 power points, the reduced karma cost on Core Path Skills, the reduced essence cost for cyberware, etc.

I'm inclined to include a PC Path of the Warrior Adept but the whole "There is no advantage other than offering a group for initiation" just seems a bit lame...

Any help would be appreciated, or just general chit-chat... :D

Kage
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 12 2003, 04:52 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

In general, I suggest using the MitS rules for PCs, but allow the bards to buy the Bardic abilities.

Give NPCs the full Tir na nOg treatment. THe idea is general-area inhibited badasses. Skip a county and you're on more even footing, piss in their glen and you'll wish you'd never made those wisecracks about his mother playing with elves.

+Quote Post
Cakeman
post Dec 12 2003, 06:28 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,313

But she did play with el...*ouch!*

Just for game balance if nothing else, that path is only flavor. Because you'd need some other slightly different paths with bonuses to offer some versatility, and well, flavor is ok - but as Ancient said, NPC always get the hidden perks, after all the PC's are just lowlifes.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Dec 12 2003, 07:15 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

Does mits still have the part about such adepts being less/not at all powerfull outside the tir?

Tir na nog said something like that.

+Quote Post
Kage2020
post Dec 12 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Target

I cannot help but feel that I'm cheating PCs (well, PC) by disallow them something that an NPC woud have as a by-product of them following the same Path, however. It just feels... wrong. Especially when the PC in question will ultimately be working 'two sides' (as it were; one the 'runner team', the other one of the Danaan families), a feature which may ultimately bring them into conflict with the other PCs (depending on the conflict of one initiation group versus another)...

Hmm...

Kage

:wobble:

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 13 2003, 12:02 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

You could add tweaks here and there, possibly special initiations for ritual combat or quests.

You could reduce costs for certain powers while increasing costs for others -- it's not unlike an adept adopting a Totem and laboring under those restrictions.

Owl Adept anyone? :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 14 2003, 11:07 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

make some of the special abilities from TNN metamagics that simply aren't available outside certain initiatory groups in the Tirs.

has anyone done anything with the rumored Path mages being developed in Tairngire?

+Quote Post
Liquid_Obsidian
post Dec 14 2003, 11:21 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 5,775

well , you can cut the thing in two, get the power points (witch comes from the path) to your pc but not the lessered essence cost (witch surely comes from the TNN higher quality surgery/adaptation) that seems more balanced to me.
The reduced Karma cost for Skills , to me , come from the intensive training warriors of the path have on those skill , that's their jobs after all nah ? not every stock physad in TNN is following the path and those who do are on active duty with families...

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Dec 14 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

I remember someone ages ago sugesting that the reduced essence cost to the cyber was meant to represent Beta/Delta/ and better surgery (which at the time was non-exisitant), and with the erratte'd bioware rules you can say it also is covered there as well.

And as for the reduced karma cost's, well we all know how good (somme would say broken) the mnemonic enhancer is........

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Dec 14 2003, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

I'd say it depends entirely on whether or not they are working outside the Tir. When they're in the Tir, and especially in the particular county aligned to the Chu-Chulain (sp?), they can get the extra bonuses, and when they're outside the Tir they're normal adepts with maybe a boost on the particular holy days.

Alternatively, you simply say that the bonuses in Tir Na Nog apply ONLY to the Chu-Chulain and that the PC, although on the path of the warrior is not one of the Tir's 'holy warrior' types, which are the elite. If the PC can worm his way in with them somehow (feasibility of this is up to you), then maybe he gets the bonuses. Treat him like an apprentice - he doesn't get all the snacky teaching till he's taken the oaths, done some jobs for them, etc etc. As a reward they might teach him a thing or two but generally speaking he's a grunt. If you allow him access to the higher powers from the get go, especially with elven and initiate group politics you'll find the game quickly becomes about that character, kinda like what can easily happen if you let one play a Drake.

Hope that helps, and makes sense.

+Quote Post
Senchae
post Dec 15 2003, 07:53 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,638

QUOTE (mfb)
has anyone done anything with the rumored Path mages being developed in Tairngire?

Yes. The original GM of the game I'm co-GMing looked at the Ways and Paths (from the TNN book) and said "Oh, that's so close, but wrong." So she created the Paths of Promise. The 4 Paths are Forge (Fire/Air), Tower (Air/Water), Square (Air/Earth), Home (Earth/Water).

Forge- combat, defender of the innocent, held to their word
Square- In the spotlight, this is our version of Bard.
Home- defender of home and family, draws strength from home ground
Tower- intellectual, bonus to knowledge skills

As a system on its own it's very unbalanced as she wrote it, but it works in our game because basically any of the PCs who aren't on a Path have their own unique coolnesses. Basically if I were trying to make something that would get published as not being overpowered compared to standard hermetics and shamans, it would need a lot of work, but it's not as bad as the TNN version of the Ways and Paths.

They can only conjure elementals of their elements but can also get some spirits of those elements as well; they have behavioral restrictions (similar to Totems), bonuses and penalties to certain kinds of spells (where applicable- adepts can be of a Path, in which case the conjuring and spellcasting stuff doesn't apply), and a bonus die under special circumstances (if the GM thinks it appropriate. For instance the Forge's special circumstance is "in the moment". Square is "in the limelight").

+Quote Post
6thDragon
post Dec 15 2003, 09:33 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,605

@ shockwave

They fixed the Mnemonic enhanser in the new errata personally I don't see why GMs didn't just fix the problem themselves with the mnemonic enhanser. Our group just houseruled that is only affects skills that are linked to Intelligence or knowledges and languages.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Dec 15 2003, 09:37 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Hey i never had an issue with it, I just some poeple did (and still do).

It was just me saying becarefull on reducing karma cost for skills

+Quote Post
Kage2020
post Dec 15 2003, 09:58 PM
Post #14

Target

Originally posted by Liquid_Obsidian:
well , you can cut the thing in two, get the power points (witch comes from the path) to your pc but not the lessered essence cost (witch surely comes from the TNN higher quality surgery/adaptation) that seems more balanced to me.

I definitely like the suggestion that the reduced essence cost results from higher grade cyberware. Simple explanation that works for me especially since I'm uncomfortable with many of the changes that they've made to the game world in going from 2050/2052 to 2060/2062... Not that I think that they're necessarily bad, just that I would prefer to come to them in my own time and integrate them bit by bit. Guess I'm getting a bit slow in my old age. :dead:

(And, incidentally, I use the optional suggestion that Priority A adepts get extra power points anyway... I do not like the hyped-up skilled Adepts so try to avoid them like the plague. They just seem so... munchkin... to me. Silly when one considers that increasing the power points can be seen in the same light! :wobble:

Originally posted by Liquid_Obsidian:
The reduced Karma cost for Skills , to me , come from the intensive training warriors of the path have on those skill , that's their jobs after all nah ? not every stock physad in TNN is following the path and those who do are on active duty with families...

Well, that's an explanation but it doesn't quite seem right. Surely one could extend this to all skills? After all, shadowrunning is what a shadowrunner does?

Still, it's better than anything that I've come up with and would seem to conform to the overall feel of the Paths...

Originally posted by spotlite:
I'd say it depends entirely on whether or not they are working outside the Tir. When they're in the Tir, and especially in the particular county aligned to the Chu-Chulain (sp?), they can get the extra bonuses, and when they're outside the Tir they're normal adepts with maybe a boost on the particular holy days.

While location and date obviously would have an effect, the idea of suggesting that it is ones place in TNN that defines your extra abilities doesn't sit right... Ah hell to it, perhaps MitS had it right and it is very difficult to offer an interesting expansion to the Adept in the context of TNN without making them overtly powerful. (Admittedly many of the powers are balanced by a duty to their patron...)

Alternatively, you simply say that the bonuses in Tir Na Nog apply ONLY to the Chu-Chulain and that the PC, although on the path of the warrior is not one of the Tir's 'holy warrior' types, which are the elite.

This is ultimately what I ended up doing. The character in question has ties to the Danaan families but has not yet initiated themselves into an order...

If you allow him access to the higher powers from the get go, especially with elven and initiate group politics you'll find the game quickly becomes about that character, kinda like what can easily happen if you let one play a Drake. 

A reasonble point. However, for me at the moment it is the access to the Danaan families and what they represent - as well as links to Tir Tairngire - is what gets me going with this character. It ultimately ties into the overall story arc of the campaign while offering an individualised link to it: this personalised 'story arc' is something that I try to include for every PC without letting it dominate the overall campaign or, in this case, sub-campaign. (The other campaign being an Earthdawn one that runs in parallel to SR...)

Kage

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.