Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hoe to pronounce
NONSENSUS
post May 15 2008, 02:55 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,977

I started GMing a campaign several weeks ago. The runners' first run was to collect ash off the erupting Mt. Ranier. They had to go into the Salish-Shidhe council to do it. After saying it a few times, we all got a good laugh because it sounded like "Salish-Shitty Council." Seriously, try saying it fast. Is this really the right pronunciation?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post May 15 2008, 02:57 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

i think its pronounced "seed-hey"

+Quote Post
quentra
post May 15 2008, 02:57 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,536

Sidhe is pronounced Shee, I believe.

+Quote Post
redwulf25_ci
post May 15 2008, 03:08 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,075

QUOTE (quentra @ May 14 2008, 09:57 PM) *
Sidhe is pronounced Shee, I believe.

You would be correct. It's Gaelic, therefore a bitch to pronounce.

+Quote Post
Nigel
post May 15 2008, 07:29 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,932

Yeah, Gaelic is really hard to pronounce.

Try Sgian Dubh (a knife, worn for decorative purposes mainly with a kilt). Seriously - it's completely different than you'd expect. Unless you're apparently quentra or redwulf.

+Quote Post
redwulf25_ci
post May 15 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 8,075

QUOTE (Nigel @ May 15 2008, 02:29 AM) *
Yeah, Gaelic is really hard to pronounce.

Try Sgian Dubh (a knife, worn for decorative purposes mainly with a kilt). Seriously - it's completely different than you'd expect. Unless you're apparently quentra or redwulf.

Sidhe is just a commonly used word in some of the fantasy fiction I read. Closest attempt I could make as pronouncing Sgian Dubh would be Chee-an Duu and I've probably buggered it up completely.

+Quote Post
Nigel
post May 15 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,932

Oh, very nearly completely. The easiest way to type it out, for those of you who are curious, is "skeen doo." There are, as always with Gaelic, more complications, but that's very close to the actual pronunciation. Definitely a better guess than most people could do, though.

I'm sorry for derailing your thread, NONSENSUS. It was an accident, I swear! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.