Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sim Rig vs Sim Module, Help with prices and requirements
Gwydeon
post May 16 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,981

O.K. I'm looking at Cyber/internal here.

There is the Sim Rig the description of which says it "incorporates a Sim Module" but it has no capacity.

There is the Sim Module which has its own separate essence cost but shows a [1] capacity meaning it can go into something else (like a cyber limb or head).

Now If I want to access Full VR in Hot-Sim mode what do I need? One, both, either?

I would rather not have to use external AR gloves and clothing.

If some one could help me out with what is required and the essence/Nuyen costs (alphaware please) I would much appreciate it.

Also if I have to get the sim module to go with the sim rig do I have to pay for the 4000 cold sim and then 10000 for the hot sim hack? (Can I do that myself?)

Note: Character is probably going to have Cyber Eyes & Ears already... Planing on getting a touch link if thats not already supposed to be part of a sim rig/module/(both?)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post May 16 2008, 08:13 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

QUOTE (Gwydeon @ May 16 2008, 09:02 AM) *
O.K. I'm looking at Cyber/internal here.

There is the Sim Rig the description of which says it "incorporates a Sim Module" but it has no capacity.

There is the Sim Module which has its own separate essence cost but shows a [1] capacity meaning it can go into something else (like a cyber limb or head).

Now If I want to access Full VR in Hot-Sim mode what do I need? One, both, either?

I would rather not have to use external AR gloves and clothing.

If some one could help me out with what is required and the essence costs (alphaware please) I would much appreciate it.

Either.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post May 16 2008, 08:13 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

You need the Sim Module. The Sim Rig is a recording unit. You could of course get a Sim Rig and it would still allow you to go VR.

+Quote Post
reepneep
post May 16 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,951

You need a sim module for VR, not AR. I think all you need to interact with AR without the gloves is a commlink and trodes or a datajack. You know there is also an external sim module that plugs into your commlink, right?

Anyway, you can either get a plain old sim module or you can get the simrig. Simrigs are primarily for making simsense recordings (you can always sell these if you did something cool enough but it tends to attract unwanted attention and can get your squadmates really angry at you because they tend to show up on film as well) and aren't really meant for runners.

The module is probably the one you want. Just take the essence cost of the one you want and multiply it by the Alphaware 0.8. For the module you get 0.16 essence and for the rig its 0.4 essence.

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post May 16 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

QUOTE (reepneep @ May 16 2008, 10:27 AM) *
Anyway, you can either get a plain old sim module or you can get the simrig. Simrigs are primarily for making simsense recordings (you can always sell these if you did something cool enough but it tends to attract unwanted attention and can get your squadmates really angry at you because they tend to show up on film as well) and aren't really meant for runners.

Unless you're running in L.A.

+Quote Post
Gwydeon
post May 16 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #6

Target

Ok that makes sence, thank you guys for saving me the money and essence on the simrig. Now to clarify; To run both hot and cold sim I need to pay:

Cold Sim mod + hot sim mod = .32 essence and 14k

or just a hot sim module = .16 essence and 10k

I want to be able to switch back and forth when necessary.

Thanks again guys, quick responses here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Side question: I saw some one talking about Response and Signal upgrades (ie getting a Meta Link and "upgrading it" into a Avalon or a Caliban) I have this option in my charactor gen program but I can not find it in the book anywhere. It is also (in the char gen) only listed for external equipment not implant. Is this a house rule or ? I ask because it seams too easy to spend 5k to upgrade a meta link instead of shelling out the 8k for the Caliban (and getting +1 response to boot at 5/5)

+Quote Post
Malicant
post May 16 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #7

Running Target

You just need one Module, modified for Hot Sim. You can switch between cold and hot as you like it.

+Quote Post
ornot
post May 16 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

QUOTE (reepneep @ May 16 2008, 09:27 AM) *
You need a sim module for VR, not AR. I think all you need to interact with AR without the gloves is a commlink and trodes or a datajack. You know there is also an external sim module that plugs into your commlink, right?
/snip

I'm pretty sure that if you want to use trodes, you also need to mod your comlink with a sim module. You can avoid needing a sim module if you use the various sense link implants (imagelink in eyes or eyewear, touchlink or forcefeedback clothing (including gloves), etc etc.) Using trodes or even a data jack with a sim module is probably the easiest option, so is the one most often chosen IME. Also, you cannot go full VR without a sim-module, as has been said.

+Quote Post
Gwydeon
post May 16 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #9

Target

You guy's rock!

Ok one last question: Does anyone know where my char gen program is getting the existence of Response and Signal upgrades from?

If I can just buy a meta-link and upgrade it to ABOVE a Caliban i'm going to do that rather than buy the Caliban and have to deal with it being sub-6/6

I saw some one doing this in another thread. The pricing makes it look like it would just be the cost of the upgrades:

Meta Link base = 100
Response Upgrade 6 = 8000
Signal Upgrade 6 = 3000
Cyberware increase = 2000
Alphaware = x2 for cyber(x2 for alpha) coming to 23k for a 6/6 cybered comlink that can run 6/6 Firewall/System (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Total: 26200 for a full 6/6 internal comlink (or 6.2k for eating a Caliban for breakfast)

I may just have to see about using the Sim-module via my data jack to save some money and essence, thanks for that ornot

+Quote Post
Malicant
post May 16 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Page 240 in the BBB has a table with hardware upgrades.

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post May 16 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

QUOTE (Gwydeon @ May 16 2008, 12:13 PM) *
Ok one last question: Does anyone know where my char gen program is getting the existence of Response and Signal upgrades from?

It took me about a week to find this. They're crammed in at the back of the tech/hacking chapter.
If I can just buy a meta-link and upgrade it to ABOVE a Caliban i'm going to do that rather than buy the Caliban and have to deal with it being sub-6/6

Personally, I think upgrading a meta-link to a R6 device would be a bit like upgrading your aughties phone to be able to render Bioshock at 60 FPS: simply not practical. You could treat the upgraded maximum as not being able to be higher than 150% of the native rating. Hopefully Unwired will address the 'link design rules.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 16 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

I hope so too.

Time for "Pimp My 'Link"! With Orxploitation Stars, CrimeTime! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post May 16 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

QUOTE (Gwydeon @ May 16 2008, 06:13 AM) *
Meta Link base = 100
Response Upgrade 6 = 8000
Signal Upgrade 6 = 3000
Cyberware increase = 2000
Alphaware = x2 for cyber(x2 for alpha) coming to 23k for a 6/6 cybered comlink that can run 6/6 Firewall/System (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Total: 26200 for a full 6/6 internal comlink (or 6.2k for eating a Caliban for breakfast)

Just note if you are playing with Availability rules, the Response 6 is Availability 16, so Response 5 is usually top-end for starting characters.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.