IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does everyone use Drones now in 4th edition?
Jonny Reload
post May 22 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,757

I was hoping someone could give me some in depth information on Drones since I'm coming from 3rd edition. I've just finished reading up on how the Remote Control Deck is now obsolete and replaced with the Commlink... Now while having a Vehicle Control Rig MAKES a Rigger what he is, since everything is done via the Commlink, is it more common to find Mages and Street Samuri with some Drone back up?

Obviously anyone BESIDES a Rigger wouldn't have the top of the line Firewalls, ECCM's, etc.... But in theory, is everyone sporting a Drone?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
apple
post May 22 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,827

QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ May 22 2008, 05:04 AM) *
But in theory, is everyone sporting a Drone?

Cheap microdrones are very common for different kind of characters.

SYL

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post May 22 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

Hacker's have a duty Decker's didnt: Overwatching the team's TAN. (Team area network)
Every commlink should be maxed out because its the cruddy one the enemy will use to listen to the team from.

Drones in an unprotected PAN serve the enemy, not the team, so in a way, yes... everyone uses drones and those that actively protect their PAN/TAN don't bring drones for the enemy to use. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post May 22 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,757

QUOTE (Wasabi @ May 22 2008, 11:35 AM) *
Hacker's have a duty Decker's didnt: Overwatching the team's TAN. (Team area network)
Every commlink should be maxed out because its the cruddy one the enemy will use to listen to the team from.

Drones in an unprotected PAN serve the enemy, not the team, so in a way, yes... everyone uses drones and those that actively protect their PAN/TAN don't bring drones for the enemy to use. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I thought that was more the realm of the Decker/Hacker.... Or is Hacker more of a mish-mash of Decker, Rigger, and Grease Monkey from 3rd edition?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post May 22 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ May 22 2008, 06:11 AM) *
Or is Hacker more of a mish-mash of Decker, Rigger, and Grease Monkey from 3rd edition?

From what I can tell, I believe that was the developer's orignal intent, yes. Of course, you do see builds that still specialize out into decker type activities, and builds that specialize out into rigger type activities, as well as hybridization with some of the other classes, such as Adept/Hacker, or Sammy/Drone Rigger.

+Quote Post
ornot
post May 22 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

It has not been unusual IME to find many characters sporting drones. Of course, the larger more pimped drones are too costly in BPs for every character to use them. And with BPs as tight as they are, mages, for example, have more important things to spend them on.

Speaking of commlink security, the hacker/tech in my game told the group how she had managed to compromise their target's PAN, prompting the matrix phobic street sam to immediately shut down his commlink, and directly tie his smartgun to his smartlink via skinlink, out of fear. He has declared to the team that he won't be online at all until he has a rating 6 IC, and the hardware to support it.

+Quote Post
Magus
post May 22 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Plus it so easy to max out a MetaLink comlink at character creation. I really cannot imagine any runner having a less than maxed out comlink and OS.

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post May 22 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

QUOTE (Magus @ May 22 2008, 01:25 PM) *
Plus it so easy to max out a MetaLink comlink at character creation. I really cannot imagine any runner having a less than maxed out comlink and OS.

Availability, IIRC, is 3x rating. RAW don't allow that at chargen.

And not every player realises the ramifications of the Wireless World.

+Quote Post
JoelHalpern
post May 22 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,177

QUOTE (Shiloh @ May 22 2008, 09:55 AM) *
And not every player realizes the ramifications of the Wireless World.

Or, sometimes, between the shortage of gear Nuyen, and character concept, the player decides that the character does not realize the ramifications.

Yours,
JoelHalpern

PS: If one assumes the character gets it, and has the contacts or whatever, Then a Response 5, OS 5, Firewall 6 commlink with IC 4 and Analyse and and Attack seems to be what is called for, and runs about 25K. If I have read the rules right. (Without the attack, the IC / Attack the player would get warning of intrusion, but not be able to do anything about it.)

+Quote Post
Zaranthan
post May 22 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,949

QUOTE (Shiloh @ May 22 2008, 09:55 AM) *
Availability, IIRC, is 3x rating. RAW don't allow that at chargen.

Availability limits will get you a commlink with System & Firewall 6 and Response & Signal 5 for 11,100¥.

Bumping Response to 6 after day 1 will set you back either 8k or 4k and a Logic + Hardware (12, 1 day) test once your fixer gets through the 16 Availability.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post May 22 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

QUOTE (Shiloh @ May 22 2008, 08:55 AM) *

True. Also, not every GM cares to play up the ramifications of the Wireless World.

-paws

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post May 22 2008, 03:14 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

QUOTE (paws2sky @ May 22 2008, 09:55 AM) *
True. Also, not every GM cares to play up the ramifications of the Wireless World.

-paws

I think many people on here overplay the ramifications of the wireless world. Just because the means exist to hack many systems, doesn't mean everyone does. Especially at a price of 25k for a (more) secure system. I think I make decent money but thats more than half my yearly salary (while saying 1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) = $1, but I think its closer to 1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) = $10). I think the Troll Bow valued at 1200 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) is something that I would be more paranoid of, and then walk around in full on combat suit to protect me from it. But just like not every troll carries a bow, not every kid carries the hackpack. Unless you are constantly facing opposing runner teams, your network should be mostly secure. Corps are going to invest more into security, and scan programs to pick up rogue signals, not attack programs. Once they find the signals that don't belong they can sound an alarm and track your signal and take care of you in person.

Drones are easily in everyones reach, with basic pilot and autosoft software. I'm the hacker/(minor) rigger in my group, and our face runs a VTOL scouting drone, mostly due to the amount of Intuition/Perception bonuses he gets. Even with a low sensor rating he still rolls about 12 dice. (Attention Co-Processors etc... Not vision/audio adjustments for those that are questioning this)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 22 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #13

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Everyone can have useful drones. Everyone can have a Hacker in a box. Everyone can "jump" into vehicles. But not everyone does it all. Not everyone can be best at it all. Riggers are still best at rigging, Hackers at hacking, but anyone who needs to can do a little of each.

Good? Bad? Up to you. but it's SR4.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post May 22 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ May 23 2008, 12:15 AM) *
Without the attack, the IC / Attack the player would get warning of intrusion, but not be able to do anything about it.

That isn't true. The character could attempt to shut down the connection that the intruder is using, or failing that, he can initiate a reboot.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.