Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Session Setup, Behind the screen
bofh
post May 26 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,065

Back in the 70's when I first started with D&D, I created my own DM's screen. I took some card stock, cut up into 6 8"x11" pieces, and some contact acetate, whipped up a bunch of tables I used commonly and created a custom screen (8" tall on the two front pieces, and 11" tall on the four side pieces).

Now that I'm using a laptop, space is at a premium behind the screen. I also find that I'm standing when running the game vs sitting. I've been percolating ideas on how I want to make a new screen. A couple of weeks ago I broke out the the tools and began.

http://shadowrun.us/meetup/20080525/0525081557-800.jpg

That's a felt lined dice rolling box on the left. The laptop is angled so I can stand and type and look down at the screen comfortably. There's about an inch of room under so I can stash notes and the scenario. On the right is a dice dispensing box. I drop a bunch of 6 siders in and can pull out 5 or 6 at a time. There's a pencil and eraser holder behind the dice.

http://shadowrun.us/meetup/20080525/0525081558-801.jpg

And the view from the players standpoint. I drew and painted it but still need to finish (hey, it was all done in two weeks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ).

And the game today was excellent. The Missions modules have really been helpful. Thank you.

Carl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
post May 26 2008, 02:24 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Damn, that's cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
bjorn
post May 26 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 12,344

Thats really cool!

Are those hinges holding the pieces of the screen together?

+Quote Post
bofh
post May 26 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (bjorn @ May 25 2008, 08:25 PM) *
Thats really cool!

Are those hinges holding the pieces of the screen together?

Yep. The screen's wooden (if it's not obvious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). I had to cut the screws in half so they wouldn't go all the way through. The hinges have pins that come out so I can break it down for easy transport. I ride a motorcycle to the game so the gear has to be somewhat easy to bring along in a bag (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I don't like the dice dispenser as much as I thought I might. I still want to do it but I need to change the design for the next one.

Carl

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post May 26 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

very professional! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Doritos and Coke by your side means you are the real stuff! Nice to see we are alike all over the word.

Cheers!!

Max

+Quote Post
bofh
post May 26 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (MaxHunter @ May 26 2008, 09:05 AM) *
very professional! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Doritos and Coke by your side means you are the real stuff! Nice to see we are alike all over the word.

Cheers!!

Max

Heck, it's the only time I can get them. That and the bag of M&M's between the laptop and the dice dispenser (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Carl

+Quote Post
ornot
post May 27 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

Very impressive. I especially like the urban explorer jumpsuit on the door! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post May 27 2008, 10:18 AM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

I use a 4-panel self-made GM screen, and my laptop display's back serves as panel number 5 to the side. Enough space for the BBB and my campaign notes.

+Quote Post
bofh
post May 27 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (ornot @ May 27 2008, 03:19 AM) *
Very impressive. I especially like the urban explorer jumpsuit on the door! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

It's my motorcycle safety suit. Keeps me warm and dry like this morning where it's raining.

Carl

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 27 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Um... WANT!

+Quote Post
Naptown Wendigo
post May 27 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 15,971

Nice setup! Bonus points for the Hordes poster as well.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post May 27 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I have to admit, that's a well-made GM's screen. Bofh, after you get the final product finished & made, will you post the plans for the rest of us?
I myself don't use a GM's Screen, except for refences-when-needed. They always either fold in & fall down at the wrong time, I can't bend down far enough to read the infomation-table, or they get knocked down by someone's errant dice roll.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 27 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Or when someone throws the dice to "Accidentily" knock it down to glance at the notes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I, unfortunetly, can't build worth nothin', so will have to make due with the one from the company.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post May 27 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

Nice setup.

Still my dream is to replicate this crazy gaming table I saw on a D&D board. He'd converted a poker table giving it a built in whiteboard battlemat, a built in DM screen, dice boxes, drink holders, it even had holes cut into it so that bowls of snacks could sit right in the table.

One day... one day... I need to move out of the condo and get a permanent gaming room first though.

+Quote Post
bofh
post May 28 2008, 01:41 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ May 27 2008, 09:42 AM) *
I have to admit, that's a well-made GM's screen. Bofh, after you get the final product finished & made, will you post the plans for the rest of us?

Sure. I'll have to do some measuring once I'm done.

I myself don't use a GM's Screen, except for refences-when-needed. They always either fold in & fall down at the wrong time, I can't bend down far enough to read the infomation-table, or they get knocked down by someone's errant dice roll.

I originally created the first screen to have tables but really seldom used them. That's why the second one here doesn't have any tables. My "screen" is on the wiki now so I can quickly find the table.

Carl

+Quote Post
bofh
post May 28 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (imperialus @ May 27 2008, 11:28 AM) *
Nice setup.

Still my dream is to replicate this crazy gaming table I saw on a D&D board. He'd converted a poker table giving it a built in whiteboard battlemat, a built in DM screen, dice boxes, drink holders, it even had holes cut into it so that bowls of snacks could sit right in the table.

One day... one day... I need to move out of the condo and get a permanent gaming room first though.

I found this one in a thread, I forget where: http://www.agyris.net/v3/ugt/a_full_table.asp

I'd want to make personal changes of course but it's pretty cool.

Carl

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.