Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Last Samurai, True Bushido
Shadow
post Dec 14 2003, 01:31 AM
Post #1

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

If anyone was ever interested in playing a true Samurai in shadowrun, I mean a real one. They should go see The Last Samurai. The whole movie is about Bushido and definetly worth watching. After you watch the battle scenes, ask yourself...

Now if that katana was Dikoted....

I know this seems off topic, but I run a Bushido web for Shadowrun so ha! :nyah:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 14 2003, 01:47 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Shadow)
...but I run a Bushido web for Shadowrun...

...which is overdue for updating. :D

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Dec 14 2003, 02:33 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 14 2003, 12:31 PM)
...but I run a Bushido web for Shadowrun...

...which is overdue for updating. :D

hear that, good for what it's got though!

+Quote Post
Connor
post Dec 14 2003, 02:33 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

I do have to agree with you. That movie did an exceptional job at showing and explaining Bushido. It was also did a great job of telling the story of 19th century Japan in a historical fiction kind of way.

I have to say I sat through that movie and until this post didn't connect it to Shadowrun in any way whatsoever. Which is pretty rare for me to do. It was kind of refreshing now that I think about it.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 14 2003, 02:37 AM
Post #5

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

It's good to hear that some people who actually know Japanese history are giving it compliments that aren't "OMG COOL" or something akin to that. I was very worried that it would shred apart history and everything contained in it. Now I may just have to go see it.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 14 2003, 02:43 AM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ Dec 14 2003, 01:33 PM)
good for what it's got though!

Most definitely. :)

From all the reviews I've seen (haven't seen the movie yet, damnit! :(), they are saying that it's an excellent movie, and Tom Cruise's best role to date.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Dec 14 2003, 02:59 AM
Post #7

Well I do have a full time job, a wife, and a three month old baby...

Having said that, Christmas break is coming and I get 2 weeks off. I have a couple of projects and one of them is updating Shadowrun Bushido. So look for that around Christmas time. I have another webpage I am starting called the Shadowrun Webpository, guess what that's about.

Back on topic, I am by no means an expert in Japanese culture or the Samurai. But I am an enthusiast, I read what I can and I watch the history channel as much as I can. And in my mind, that movie was pretty accurate. As historically accurate as a movie can be anyways.

This post has been edited by Shadow: Dec 14 2003, 03:00 AM

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 14 2003, 03:00 AM
Post #8

Chrome to the Core

Exactly what I meant. I was expecting it to be so far off base that I'd simply leave halfway through the film. Thus far, however, I've only gotten good reviews.

+Quote Post
Hero
post Dec 14 2003, 03:05 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

The way "The Last Samurai" portered the samurai class was very accurate as far as I can tell. My grandmother is a native from Japan and her father was of the samurai class, so I have been asking her this and that about the samurai class. And from what shes told me and what the movie showed, it was pretty damn accurate IMO.

[Edit]
For a Hollywood movie it was some what accurate, history is a bit off, but accurate in the context of the daily life of a samurai.
[/Edit]

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 14 2003, 03:06 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

QUOTE (tanka)
It's good to hear that some people who actually know Japanese history are giving it compliments that aren't "OMG COOL" or something akin to that.  I was very worried that it would shred apart history and everything contained in it.  Now I may just have to go see it.

Actually, the reviews that I have read point out its historical inaccuracy. And it gets bashed from both sides of the spectrum. One side says that it glorifies people who were essentially similar to the Taliban in their outlook, while the revisionist historians who romanticize the good ol' days of warlords, rigid social castes, random beheadings, and subservient women are still upset about the ethnically insulting "white guy saves the day" stuff.

I know I'm not going to see it. I have nothing but contempt for so-called "historical" movies that give a simple-minded and romanticized view of actual events, and take the wrong side to boot. But then again, this movie was made by the people who brought us "Thirtysomething".

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 14 2003, 03:07 AM
Post #11

Chrome to the Core

The one thing I'll be watching is how the samurai treated samurai under a different master. They weren't too kind when they met somebody that had a different Shogun, or even Daimyo than their own.

Ronin were another story entirely.

+Quote Post
Dende
post Dec 14 2003, 03:07 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,837

From what I know, not having seen it. I have heard there is a historically inaccurate part near the ending. This was confirmed by a history major who concentrates in japanese history... I don't know what yet, neither will tell me, since I haven't seen it.
Anyone know what they might be talking about?

POF, I hear the rest is almost spot on accuracte.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 14 2003, 03:10 AM
Post #13

Chrome to the Core

QUOTE (Glyph)
QUOTE (tanka)
It's good to hear that some people who actually know Japanese history are giving it compliments that aren't "OMG COOL" or something akin to that.  I was very worried that it would shred apart history and everything contained in it.  Now I may just have to go see it.

Actually, the reviews that I have read point out its historical inaccuracy. And it gets bashed from both sides of the spectrum. One side says that it glorifies people who were essentially similar to the Taliban in their outlook, while the revisionist historians who romanticize the good ol' days of warlords, rigid social castes, random beheadings, and subservient women are still upset about the ethnically insulting "white guy saves the day" stuff.

I know I'm not going to see it. I have nothing but contempt for so-called "historical" movies that give a simple-minded and romanticized view of actual events, and take the wrong side to boot. But then again, this movie was made by the people who brought us "Thirtysomething".

This is also coming from people who look for something just to bash it. The "white guy" learns something, just as the other guys do too (If I'm understanding the plot correctly). Also; women are being portrayed as subservient back then because they were subservient back then.

Anyway; I'll see it a.s.a.p. and probably write something about it somewhere.

Nobody spoil it or I'll be forced to feed you to my rabid parrot.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 14 2003, 03:13 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (tanka)
Nobody spoil it or I'll be forced to feed you to my rabid parrot.

There's a white guy in it. Oh yeah, and some Samurai. All that, and it's set in Japan. :D

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 14 2003, 03:15 AM
Post #15

Chrome to the Core

That's it!

*grabs Fortune and grinds him into a fine paste, then pours Fortune-paste over his parrot's dinner*

Told you. :evil:

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Dec 14 2003, 05:06 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

I don't go the movies, I'll see it when it comes out on DVD. I'll see it just for the story and the action. If I want to see accurate history I'll pick up a book (like all history in books are accurate :) ). It is nice that it is accurate, but I am not going for a history lesson. Why are people so hooked on accuracy? I mean I don't want to see something completely outrageously wrong or just plain wrong, like I said I am not going for a history lesson, I have a few books on Japanesse history and Samuria for that.

+Quote Post
Toa
post Dec 14 2003, 01:40 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,068

Since I study Japanese Sciences, and already had a seminar about Japanese history, I'm not so enthusiastic about the historical accuracy of this movie. But I'll go see it anyway as soon as it starts showing over here in Europe, and if it's just to make fun of it. ;)

The biggest mistake certainly is displaying the "White Guy" as "The Last Samurai", which definitely is bulldrek.

There are a lots of false myths about Japan and especially Samurai, so I'm afraid this movie might even spread this misconceptions further.

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Dec 14 2003, 05:52 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

That wasn't at all the impression I took away from the movie. I took it more as the "last samurai" mentioned in the title to be a plural -- that is, that with the rebellion and the following cultural shift died the significant portion of Japanese society that adhered to that outlook.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 14 2003, 06:07 PM
Post #19

Chrome to the Core

Indeed. After all, the plural of Samurai is Samurai, not Samurais. That would be a huge inconsistency in the language, as every word ends in a vowel.

1 Samurai, 2 Samurai
1 Ninja, 2 Ninja

So on and so forth.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Dec 14 2003, 08:26 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Glyph)
I know I'm not going to see it.  I have nothing but contempt for so-called "historical" movies that give a simple-minded and romanticized view of actual events, and take the wrong side to boot.  But then again, this movie was made by the people who brought us "Thirtysomething".

I know Hollywood couldn't string together an accurate docudrama to save its collective life, so I go to "historical" movies knowing full well that I'll be getting a romanticized, hyped-up of view of events. Therefore, I try not to get caught in the stuffy artsy critic attitude that pans modern Hollywood "historical" movies. I don't go to the movies to watch documentaries, I go for a thrill, and the Last Samurai delivers. But, gee, if I want reality, I'll watch the History channel (and I do just that - much more informative but dry than the Last Samurai).

Last Samurai was a very fun movie. I've picked up a dash of 1800s Japanese history thanks to recent programs on the History channel and, y'know, I don't care about inaccuracies in the Last Samurai. (I didn't care about the bad history in Gladiator, either, and I look forward to Troy.) What mattered is that there was action, big unit combat, and more - character development, good acting, interesting plot, etc. It gave a good, Hollywood lowest-common-denominator description of Bushido and Tom Cruise and whatshisname the Head Samurai played their parts well.

Funny thing is, I think bushido's goofy. I much prefer the modern military pragmatism of the Imperial troops to the Bushido of the rebel samurai, but I went with the flow and rooted for the underdog in the film, the samurai. Definitely a fun movie.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Dec 14 2003, 08:44 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

Is it about the 47 ronin rebeling the newly re-established imperial family? Just curious it is starting to sound like it.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Dec 14 2003, 09:06 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Toa)
Since I study Japanese Sciences, and already had a seminar about Japanese history, I'm not so enthusiastic about the historical accuracy of this movie. But I'll go see it anyway as soon as it starts showing over here in Europe, and if it's just to make fun of it. ;)

The biggest mistake certainly is displaying the "White Guy" as "The Last Samurai", which definitely is bulldrek.

There are a lots of false myths about Japan and especially Samurai, so I'm afraid this movie might even spread this misconceptions further.

That isn't it at all, go watch it, I think you will be pleasently suprised.

Frago-

It isn't a remake of 47 Samurai .

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 15 2003, 01:28 AM
Post #23

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Isn't the plural of samurai samurii?

And the plural of ninja ninji?

+Quote Post
Sokei
post Dec 15 2003, 01:31 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,839

just to clear it up , the white guy isnt the last samurai , but the white guy helps the last samurai in his rebellion. over all i thought it was ok historically, romanticized yes, but good for a movie. i expected it to be horrible based soley on the lack of real knowledge about samurai most people have. i figured they would dumb it down, it wasn't bad.

as far as going to the history channel for "real" history, for a channel that shows 75% WW2 history its not half bad. but going to it for a 60 min special on the samurai wont give you a whole lot of information. the samurai sword demos were interesting i suppose, aside from that it was annoying to hear the military historian call the samurai the bad guys for standing against the modernization of the country... the truth is they just wanted it to slow down, not stop altogether.

although i will say this, the ending is all hollywood goo for about 15 mins, still a good movie :spin:

+Quote Post
CanvasBack
post Dec 15 2003, 03:04 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,513

QUOTE (Sokei)
...aside from that it was annoying to hear the military historian call the samurai the bad guys for standing against the modernization of the country... the truth is they just wanted it to slow down, not stop altogether.

Well, the truth is always a point of contention. :P

Let me get this straight, Tom Cruise's character decides to help the last of Japan's old priviledged feudal class resist the encroachment/reforms of Japan's new priviledged capitalist class because the former was in some way better than the latter? I'm sure the samurai would have allowed moderniztion to go forward had the perceived benefits been accorded to them rather than the upstarts leading the Meiji Restoration (whom incidentally were themselves Samurai, just not from any of the real major clans). They actually set the bulk of the movie about a year after a major/real samurai uprising in Satsuma BTW.

[ Spoiler ]

It did explain Bushido and the idealized motivations of the samurai quite well though and it was a great production in terms of cinematography.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.