Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maps for gaming
Ruin-Gar
post May 29 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,950

I'm about to start a Shadowrun game soon, and I was just wondering if there are any maps available of Seattle for Shadowrun. Do any of the current books have them, do I have to scrounge the internet for older edition material, or is there another resource for maps I could use?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post May 29 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

I don't know why they haven't added them to the Game Resources page on www.shadowrun4.com yet, but you an find maps of Seattle, Hong Kong, and Hamburg (the Shadowrun versions) here: http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/?p=137

Additionally, you can find more detailed building maps and such in a variety of places...there's an old SR book called Sprawl Sites that I recently found used, and i think Mr. Johnson's Black Book might have some maps as well. If you already have an erasable mat, then a book like WoTC's Critical Locations might be nice. If not, then I'd check out some map tiles...Paizo makes a set for Slums that was intended for fantasy games, but could work just fine for the Barrens. Likewise, WoTC's Star Wars Galaxy Tiles can be repurposed for Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post May 29 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (JonathanC @ May 28 2008, 10:54 PM) *
there's an old SR book called Sprawl Sites that I recently found used

I'm so very sorry for you.
Let me guess -- it was in mint condition?

+Quote Post
tete
post May 29 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

either google earth or goggle maps has a shadowrun map of seattle but it may take some google foo to find.

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post May 29 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,900

Old SR1/2 books are the best resources I know of personally. I've heard of the google earth/maps, but haven't taken the time to track them down yet. Some good stuff from SR past: DMZ (a skirmish rules game for SR, see also Battletroops), Sprawl Sites, Sprawl Maps (I think that was an expansion for DMZ) and the Seattle Sourcebook for decent maps on all of Seattle.

+Quote Post
evanger
post May 29 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 15,743

QUOTE (tete @ May 29 2008, 10:37 AM) *
either google earth or goggle maps has a shadowrun map of seattle but it may take some google foo to find.

There are perhaps many Google maps out there... I have been working on one of my own recently, found here.

EDIT: updated link

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 29 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #7

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Not bad.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post May 29 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

The v.1 Seattle Sourcebook had pages of Metroplex district maps including foldouts in the rear. The core Downtown map was nice as it listed street names and gave exact locations for buildings. But the other district maps weren't very detailed though they did indicate generally where specific neighborhoods or large manufacturing facilities, farms and airports were located.

Sprawl Sites is fine if you need quick archetype locations like a generic bar whipped up. Otherwise it's not all that great. There were lots of weird scale issues, like toilets that were two meters long. Most of the maps in the book you could make up on your own. It's worth buying but not at full price. Don't pay any more than $8.00 for it.

Mister Johnson's Black Book didn't have any maps but gave text descriptions of archetypal locations.

+Quote Post
tete
post May 29 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (evanger @ May 29 2008, 03:56 PM) *
There are perhaps many Google maps out there... I have been working on one of my own recently, found here.

I was under the impression the Pyramid was closer to lake union (could be wrong) on the other side of I5... If its really in Cap Hill I apparently have a friend living in it! I don't suppose anyone is doing this for Denver (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post May 29 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (tete @ May 29 2008, 01:50 PM) *
I was under the impression the Pyramid was closer to lake union (could be wrong) on the other side of I5...

Nope, that's the exact location, going back to the map that's inside the front cover and back cover of the first printing of the original core rulebook (the same map that was later reprinted in Seattle Sourcebook with additional detail).

+Quote Post
tete
post May 29 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Are you going by the map or the address? because I know some places the address and the map show two different locations. Also highway 520 vanished into thin air in places and a few roads are in the wrong place on the map. Granted thats 2050 and not 2008 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Regardless awesome map!

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post May 29 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (tete @ May 29 2008, 01:42 PM) *
Are you going by the map or the address?

I'm basing my opinion that evanger's map matches the FASA's original map by the fact that the North edge lines up with Adler St., the South edge lines up with King St., 4th Ave. runs right in front of the East edge for about 2/3rds, and the Northeast corner touches 5th Ave, on both the original map and that particular Google Maps version.

+Quote Post
evanger
post May 29 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #13

Target

QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ May 29 2008, 02:03 PM) *
I'm basing my opinion that evanger's map matches the FASA's original map by the fact that the North edge lines up with Adler St., the South edge lines up with King St., 4th Ave. runs right in front of the East edge for about 2/3rds, and the Northeast corner touches 5th Ave, on both the original map and that particular Google Maps version.

I was indeed using the map in the back of Seattle Sourcebook (c. 1990) for most of the details. I also used a RL Seattle Street map (i.e. where the hell is Pier 69?) and sometimes (thus far) FASA-supplied street addresses for a few spots (searched for, handily, via Google maps!)

I have taken some slight artistic liberties with the exact placement of some locations, either because the "address" is vague or because the fit seemed better in terms of the building overlays that Google uses (I realize these aren't the actual buildings from 2070, but what the hell). Otherwise, I think most everything is correct thus far.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post May 30 2008, 02:14 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ May 29 2008, 02:48 AM) *
I'm so very sorry for you.
Let me guess -- it was in mint condition?

I regret nothing. I bought it for some extra maps, and the encounter tables. Mmmm, sweet encounter tables.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post May 30 2008, 02:58 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (JonathanC @ May 29 2008, 09:14 PM) *
I regret nothing. I bought it for some extra maps, and the encounter tables. Mmmm, sweet encounter tables.

Oh, the encounter tables were ok. As were the contacts. It's just the maps that bore little if any resemblence to reality.

+Quote Post
1000buffalo
post Jun 1 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 12,396

It's got the Sprawl Sites book from when Shadowrun 1st came around ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I've considered getting the pdf version ($6) to have the maps available pod (and avoid strain on my hardcopy book). To be fair, the maps aren't great ... but they are better than nothing.

The Millenium's End GM's Toolkit book also included a lot of modern / post-modern setting maps in b&w line art style, and might be worth a reference.

Battle-map wise, I've become a fan of the WotC D&D map tiles. The D&D map tiles have a reasonable price point ($10, I believe), and are very sturdy. Likewise, their Star Wars Galaxy tiles are the same construction, with a higher price point ($13 ... the SW license tax). Tilesets I think would be applicable to Shadowrun gaming would be Ruins of the Wild and the aforementioned Galaxy Tiles (there's only one set in the SW series thus far).

+Quote Post
Ruin-Gar
post Jun 1 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 15,950

Does there happen to be a global map of the Shadowrun world? I'm curious to see what's going on border-wise beyond just the North American continent.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jun 1 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #18

Mr. Johnson

My only problem with the Sprawl Sites maps are that I'd personally hate to be in them. They're all ... somewhat flawed.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jun 2 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

<Obligatory pimpage>
Keep in mind that, if you're looking for location maps, which is a bit off-topic, almost every Shadowrun Missions scenario includes 1 or more. Even if you're not running the scenario, the locations could be very helpful.
</Obligatory pimpage>

+Quote Post
Beetle
post Jun 2 2008, 01:09 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,883

QUOTE (the_dunner @ Jun 1 2008, 07:12 PM) *
<Obligatory pimpage>
Keep in mind that, if you're looking for location maps, which is a bit off-topic, almost every Shadowrun Missions scenario includes 1 or more. Even if you're not running the scenario, the locations could be very helpful.
</Obligatory pimpage>

The problem with the missions map is that they're often so pixelated you can't even read them. The Denver map in particular is horrible.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jun 2 2008, 03:18 AM
Post #21

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Beetle @ Jun 1 2008, 08:09 PM) *
The problem with the missions map is that they're often so pixelated you can't even read them. The Denver map in particular is horrible.

Er ... are we looking at the same Missions documents?

+Quote Post
Beetle
post Jun 2 2008, 06:08 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 1 2008, 11:18 PM) *
Er ... are we looking at the same Missions documents?

*Looks at Parliament of Thieves, SRM02-1B* Unless they've upgraded the quality in subsequent missions, yes. The map of Denver is unreadable when printed out.

+Quote Post
Theobald
post Jun 2 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 15,813

The Denver Map from the Commando Quaterly is much better than the one in SRM02-1B. I use a printout of that for my Denver Missions Campaign.

+Quote Post
Beetle
post Jun 2 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Theobald @ Jun 2 2008, 05:05 AM) *
The Denver Map from the Commando Quaterly is much better than the one in SRM02-1B. I use a printout of that for my Denver Missions Campaign.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

+Quote Post
evanger
post Jun 2 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #25

Target

QUOTE (Ruin-Gar @ Jun 1 2008, 03:22 PM) *
Does there happen to be a global map of the Shadowrun world? I'm curious to see what's going on border-wise beyond just the North American continent.

Here is a world map circa 2062.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.