Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Spell Effects, And their additional drain modifiers
The Jopp
post Jun 2 2008, 07:51 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 948

Cone AOE: The spell fans out in cone blasting everything in its path. Use shotgun choke rules for this effect
Drain mod: +2

Nexus AOE: Area effect centered around the caster, blasting everything within range, the caster is not affected.
Drain Mod: +2

Burst: The mage churns out a torrent of elemental energy towards the target - Spell functions like Burst Fire from SR4
Drain Mod: +3

What do you think? Can work?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 2 2008, 01:43 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I've used the top two of those options before, but I've actually applied negative drain mods to them since they somewhat restrict the capabilities of the spell. In the Cone AOE, you can't target the spell as effectively as you can a normal AOE since it starts at you and spreads out. If you've got friendlies in that cone, then you can't just target the guy in the back and keep said friendlies out of the AOE. Same thing with the Nexus AOE; chances are that you've got friendlies around you so that effect, while nice if you're getting jumped by a lot of unfriendlies, does actually restrict the times that you can use it compared to the normal AOE.

As for the burst effect, I wouldn't personally put it in the game. If someone wants to cast the same spell three times at the same target, they can split their die pool up to do so. I suppose, on second thought, that this could provide a way to avoid splitting the pool in return for the drain code increase. Anyway, it seems more like a Metamagic to me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.