IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much time to buy stuff?, Is the time consecutive or concurrent?
Game2BHappy
post Jun 2 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,355

Could use some help ...

When purchasing multiple items using p.302 and p280 in the BBB, does the total time for each item add up? or does it occur at the same time?

for example ... If a fixer is purchasing some gear for a character:
Pistol = 3 days
Some cool new cyberware = 10 days
Hip new chemicals = 8 days
2 used trucks = 13 days

Does this take the fixer 34 days or 13 days to deliver?

Can the fixer be purchasing items for others during this time?

Is this the same for characters making the purchases themselves?

Also, if there is any specific passage in the book that might clear this up it would really help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jun 3 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

It depends on if the character takes at least one day inbetween each purchase or does it all in one (up to the GM, AFAIK), otherwise it would be concurrent.

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post Jun 3 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

QUOTE (Game2BHappy @ Jun 3 2008, 12:31 AM) *
Could use some help ...

When purchasing multiple items using p.302 and p280 in the BBB, does the total time for each item add up? or does it occur at the same time?

It depends on what the fixer has to do to to get the stuff. I reckon most fixers work via phone/Matrix, and probably can work many angles at once. Bottlenecks will occur when the same asset is required to procure a number of different things for the same order.

for example ... If a fixer is purchasing some gear for a character:
Pistol = 3 days
Some cool new cyberware = 10 days
Hip new chemicals = 8 days
2 used trucks = 13 days

Assuming the trucks are 13 days each, and have to be stolen, then sanitised, the fixer may only have one chop-shop contact who can do the cleaning fo such large items, so there will be a delay.

Again, depends on the sources of supply.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jun 3 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Game2BHappy @ Jun 3 2008, 02:31 AM) *

Ofcourse they can be looking items for multiple persons at a time, thats what they do. It wouldn't really make them much money if in two week they only get a cut from a buyinf ogf few guns and drugs and a piece of cyberware. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 3 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #5

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I usually make it concurrent. I see no reason to make people wait longer for their cool toys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post Jun 3 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jun 3 2008, 02:53 PM) *
I usually make it concurrent. I see no reason to make people wait longer for their cool toys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

'Cept to make them sweat a little if they're on a deadline...

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jun 3 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

Something else to consider if you're buying multiple items from the same person: Fixers are busy people. They have things to do and they're probably not going to have the spare time (or interest) in meeting with you every time a new piece of gear comes in. I suspect most are more likely to call you want everything is "in stock." That's your average Loyalty 1 or 2 Fixer, mind you.

On the other hand, a Fixer you're in good with (Loyalty 3+) might be willing to have stuff couriered to a mutually agreed upon drop location.

-paws

+Quote Post
NockerGeek
post Jun 3 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 15,639

I let my players buy multiple items concurrently. They usually go to their fixer(s) with a list of items that they want to get, so I figure the fixer can track multiple jobs at once (and since their main fixer is the face's 6/6 contact, the extra connections and loyalty make it make even more sense).

Another possibility, if you want a compromise between concurrent and consecutive, might be limiting the number of concurrent items to the contact's Connection rating. Someone who has their fingers in more pies is more likely to track down more things at once.

+Quote Post
Cantankerous
post Jun 3 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,905

When you yourself go out to run errands and have to pick things up at different locations, do you wait a day between each item before getting the next? Items in the same relative category, or within the purview of the Fixers normal dealings should be easily obtainable concurrently. It is usually odd items that have to be acquired separately. The Fixer should be asked for a probable delivery date and if there is something you need right now, he/she should be informed of it's priority status.

For the list given, if it is all done through a single Fixer, I'd set it mostly concurrently, the trucks, the pistol and the Chems (unless they are really hard to get) will likely be ready all together, in 13-15 days, while the cyberware might take a while longer, or maybe not. Hell just use the dice to decide availability for HIM (or her) to simulate luck of the draw.

Maybe something like: Roll two dice
2-4=easy to get, requires half the time.
5-10= Normal item, standard time, no hassles.
11= hard to get, takes either half again the stated time or an increase in price as per rushed conditions.
12= either he simply couldn't get it, or if you want him to keep trying it starts over now and is re-rolled normally

Isshia

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.