Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Geeking other runners, Impacting Notoriety and Street Cred
BishopMcQ
post Jun 3 2008, 01:37 AM
Post #1

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

We regularly banter around the concepts of not killing guards, innocent people, bystanders etc. How about when we kill our own?

What would be the ramifications of a shadowrunner who earned a reputation for geeking other shadowrunners? This could be like "Il Duce" from Boondock Saints, as the killer with a conscience or the pragmatist who realizes that other runners often have the items he needs. I'm not sure if it should impact Public Awareness, but it should definitely have an impact when the runner walks into a runner bar and starts asking questions.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 3 2008, 01:50 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,449

It depends on how circumspect the runner doing it is. If a runner does it quietly with no witnesses around, he might eventually get a reputation as being a "jinx" - his fellow runners keep dying. Some people might even get suspicious at some point, since runners tend to be a paranoid lot.

On the other hand, a runner who shoots the decker in the face at a poker game might get the same notoriety that it took multiple kills for the first runner to reach.

Circumstances play a role, too. If the decker got shot in the face for blackmailing the other runners with vid footage of them breaking into the facility, then it would probably be seen as a "justified" killing.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jun 3 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

Killing people that you're supposed to be working with is one thing, and can't be good for one's reputation. But it's far more likely that two teams will end up working for competing corporations, and when that happens, someone is going to end up dead. I can't see planting the opposition as being that much of a black mark on one's reputation.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jun 3 2008, 02:13 AM
Post #4

The back-up plan

I was thinking of beyond killing her own team members, or known associates. Due to the existence of runner hangouts and the like, it becomes obvious that members of the shadow community will know each other--by reputation if not by sight.

Now we have a runner who goes to the hangouts, meets people, and after a few weeks drops off the grid. Soon she starts geeking runners, members of the shadow community who have a different moral compass than she does, etc.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 3 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Well, if people are known by reputation, probably every male idiot between the ages of 13 and 30 with a firearm, something to prove, and a shortage of critical thinking/planning skills would probably have the idea of trying to kill the famous runners so as to boost their own reputation.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jun 3 2008, 02:45 AM
Post #6

The back-up plan

Their success, or distinct lack thereof, is a reputation itself. I don't think it would be too hard to draw parallels between shadowrunners of 2070 and gunfighters from the 1800s. Blurred lines of legality and morality, an image of a crooked sense of honor, etc.

The weary gunslinger who tells the kid to not even try it and finds himself killing young upstarts who got too big for their britches is a cultural artifact in our popular mythology.

Beyond the earlier references, Dexter would be another good example of the anti-hero who kills people worse than he is or at least believes that's the case.

+Quote Post
bclements
post Jun 3 2008, 03:06 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

The weary gunslinger who tells the kid to not even try it and finds himself killing young upstarts

Depends on where we start defining shadowrunner at as well, and I do like that bit of old west mythos also. Gangers with enough cred to saunter into a bit-better-than-shithole bar aren't that much different that the upstarts with a loaded Colt and more whiskey in them than sense.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 3 2008, 03:46 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

QUOTE (bclements @ Jun 2 2008, 11:06 PM) *
Depends on where we start defining shadowrunner at as well, and I do like that bit of old west mythos also. Gangers with enough cred to saunter into a bit-better-than-shithole bar aren't that much different that the upstarts with a loaded Colt and more whiskey in them than sense.

The way I see it the biggest threat would be if they came after a runner when he was injured after a job. It's just a question of odds, if we assume infinite numbers of stupid young males with handguns...

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jun 3 2008, 04:11 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

Depends on the circumstances.

For example, in my current game, unless there is a significant turn of events, it is basically me (& Saeder-Krupp) vs. the rest of the group. How it is looking, one will be captured & turned in for a huge bounty, one will be killed, one will be let off unless he does something stupid, and the final one I am unsure what will happen - my employers want him badly, but I don't like my employers, & don't mind him...

Put simply, you do not want to piss off a professional assassin with legal licensing for milspec equipment in two major countries (UCAS & Japan).

In the above circumstances, if anything, my Street Cred may go up. If I were to just start killing other runners to cut down on the competition, however, I would likely earn some Notoriety & a lot of enemies...

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jun 3 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #10

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The runner community is a web of shadow contacts. Whereever you are connected to the community, a small part of that net knows who you are and what you do, even if you do not know them personally. Evidence is of little importance, as the shadow community often has to act on reasonable suspicion.

If you have to hunt runners, it´s wise to communicate why you are doing that, and to act swiftly. If you give good reasons, you might even get help. Otherwise, your connections and those around them will constantly wonder when you´ll be coming for them.

Then you add that most of your targets have friends within the armed&dangerous category, who will take it personal. A corp would have to drop a pile of cash to get that kind of heat on you.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 3 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

To me, it depends entirely on what you mean by "geeking other runners." Are you running across another team of Shadowrunners after the same doohickey your team is after, and beating them in a gunfight? Are you slitting the throats of your teammates so you don't have to split the loot? Are you the last man standing after a brawl erupts in a Shadowrunner hang out? Are you ambushing people in the alley out behind the street doc? Are you surviving assassination attempts where whole 'runner teams are out to gank you at a not-so-safe-now-safehouse?

Some of these things would make you hot shit in a champagne glass. Some of these things would make you a cold turd in a dixie cup.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jun 3 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #12

The back-up plan

The concept began with a discussion on how shadowrunners who are starting out and don't necessarily have all the contacts that they need, get the cool toys that they have. One solution put forth was a pragmatist who realized that other runners had the stuff she wanted, and so she killed them and took their stuff. She didn't kill her own team but targeted other criminals--effectively a predator hunting other predators rather than herd animals.

The concept has evolved a bit into a 'hooder who kills people that "deserve it." A whole ethos built up because the pragmatic answer rarely carries any weight in a conversation about why a person does the things that they do. There can be a bit of a schism--load gel and stick n' shock when going up against corp types, and swapping out for Ex-Ex or APDS against syndicates or other runners.

Because of the mechanics behind Notoriety, Street Cred and Public Awareness, it becomes obvious that no runner is living in a vaccum. The actions that she takes will have an impact on those three reputation lines, I'm just trying to figure out how. Some of the scenarios put forth have an obvious notoriety bump to them--killing runners outside the street doc is going to earn a beatdown by the community. What about killing a runner on their way to the grocery store or shooting them as they first step outside their apartment? If we completely separate the kill from any professional interest and it's just one shadowrunner killing another one, doees the reason behind the attack matter at that point?

Would a runner be more notorious because she kills other runners to take their stuff, but be less notorious if she kills them because they are Evil with a capital E?

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Jun 3 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

If you geek another runner in the context of a 'run, as in they were hired to defend the site you attacked, well, that's just the job.

If you are hunting other runners outside of work, the principle "He did it to that guy, he might do it to me." will likely have the entire community looking for you, unless you had _very_ good reasons.

+Quote Post
Drogos
post Jun 3 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,746

QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Jun 3 2008, 01:21 PM) *
If you geek another runner in the context of a 'run, as in they were hired to defend the site you attacked, well, that's just the job.

If you are hunting other runners outside of work, the principle "He did it to that guy, he might do it to me." will likely have the entire community looking for you, unless you had _very_ good reasons.

QFT

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Jun 3 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

My stance on this that a 'gang' mentality exists for each group. A third party may alter their perceptions of your runner depending on the shadow communities take on your actions. The nearest and dearest of the runner you geeked are still going to take it personally.
As such for the third party it all depends on their personal opinion, what they have to gain and the events that went down/said to have went down.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Jun 3 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Accidents happen. Being a runner is dangerous. But if someone starts to get a reputation for losing bodies, who wants to work with him?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 3 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #17

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Generally, i try not to kill other runners . . but if they did cross me in a way bad enough, i won't even stop before killing them, if they are on my own team . .
it's kill or be killed out there, if you start to make differences you might as well buy your grave allready . .

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Jun 3 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

I'd think that the vigilante runner who offs folks he doesn't agree with happens occasionally. I say occasionally because I'd also imagine that those individuals die horrific and very public deaths. After all, everyone has friend right?

Of course if you're out there geeking pedophiles and serial killers you might be seen in a better light. That'll still undoubtably fuck up your notoriety and the like, making it very difficult to get work. After all, in the runner community, having a moral compass that drives you to kill would be something of a liability wouldn't it? No one wants to work with someone who whacks people who don't agree with no matter how pure their reasons.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jun 3 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jun 3 2008, 02:37 AM) *
We regularly banter around the concepts of not killing guards, innocent people, bystanders etc. How about when we kill our own?

Easy, you just need to aim lower.

-Chrysalis

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 3 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #20

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Shadowrunners are basically mercenaries and thus are bet served by a mercenary ethos. If they are hired to oppose each other, then they should not hesitate. If they aren't, then they should avoid conflict because they may end up working together in the future.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jun 4 2008, 05:26 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 3 2008, 06:16 PM) *
Shadowrunners are basically mercenaries and thus are bet served by a mercenary ethos. If they are hired to oppose each other, then they should not hesitate. If they aren't, then they should avoid conflict because they may end up working together in the future.

addendum: Even though you're working together doesn't mean you have to totally trust them. If they have a notoriety, it may be best to have an extra hidden camera to watch your back.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 4 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

I guess a related question is, "If some mafia boss or corporate exec went crazy sometime and decided he wanted to kill all shadowrunners, would shadowrunners as a group have good enough communication among themselves and a cohesive enough society to unite against the common threat?"

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jun 4 2008, 05:11 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 4 2008, 11:43 AM) *
I guess a related question is, "If some mafia boss or corporate exec went crazy sometime and decided he wanted to kill all shadowrunners, would shadowrunners as a group have good enough communication among themselves and a cohesive enough society to unite against the common threat?"

Anyone with modest social skills and some in-the-know contacts (fixers, Mr. Johnsons, etc.) would probably find out in short order that something fishy is happening.

If the antagonist is a Mr. Johnson, news will probably take longer to filter down through the grape vine. Such an antagonist would probably be inclined to be more discrete.

On the other hand, if a mafia don or similar syndicate big wig went on an anti-runner rampage, it probably wouldn't be as well concealed, though it might go down faster, making it harder to react to.

As for uniting against a common threat... I think it'd need to be a pretty exceptional threat, like, the UB or a Toxic lodge to get runners to put aside their grudges with each other.

-paws

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jun 6 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 4 2008, 11:43 AM) *
The issue is how subtle he was. i mean people drop out of sight on runs or move town all the time. but if there's a sudden drop in locals or a runner bar blowing up people might notice.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 7 2008, 04:50 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

The infamous Shadowtalker "Kane" still seems to get work somehow...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:02 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.