Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Applying totem modifiers?
PsyDoc
post Jun 8 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,046

Sorry if this has been asked before, I had trouble with the search function.

I have a question about how totem modifiers work in Shadowrun 3rd edition. I had assumed that you could apply totem modifiers either to a success test for Sorcery/Conjuring OR to the drain resistance test, but not both. But looking through the rules again I'm not seeing a specific explanation of this. Does this mean that a Bear shaman, for example, would apply his +2 die modifer on health spells to both the success test and the drain resistance test? Similarly, would the Bear shaman apply the +2 bonus to both Conjuring tests and Conjuring drain resistance tests?

Thanks in advance for any insights on this!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PsyDoc
post Jun 8 2008, 01:13 AM
Post #2

Target

I just found a couple of threads from March 2005 that dealt with this issue. They are located here in case anyone else is interested:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...p=0&#entry0

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...p=0&#entry0

It sounds like there isn't really a clear answer. Some people apply the modifier to both tests and others just to one of them (the latter makes more sense to me, but it would be nice to have an official ruling on it...).

If anyone has seen anything more recent of knows of this being addressed in a FAQ or errata, please let me know.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 8 2008, 01:47 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Totem dice are specified as giving bonuses (or penalties) to magical skills. Resisting Drain is not using a magical skill - it is a consequence of using a magical skill, but is not, itself, a magical skill. You can not add Totem modifiers directly to Drain tests. Spellcasters can still effectively split their bonus dice between spellcasting and Drain, though. Since they are getting bonus dice for the spell, they are able to withhold more dice from their Spell Pool to help them resist Drain.

And Spell Pool is the biggest reason that I would limit Totem modifiers to one or the other. Spell Pool can augment spellcasting or Drain. If you get a bonus to spellcasting and to soaking Drain, then you can pile more points of Spell Pool into spellcasting, getting an effective bonus bigger than the actual Totem bonus.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jun 8 2008, 02:03 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jun 8 2008, 11:47 AM) *
You can not add Totem modifiers directly to Drain tests.

Unless the Totem specifically grants that particular Bonus. There are a couple that do, including Crab.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 8 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Still looking for a Pigeon Totem...

+Quote Post
PsyDoc
post Jun 8 2008, 05:59 AM
Post #6

Target

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.